Overclock.net banner

Am I just a novice?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello boys and girls.. This is my first post on what seems to be the bee's knee's of OC boards. I'm currently on my second build. My mobo is an ASRock A780GXE/128M with 4 gig of corsiar DDR2 800 memory. AMD Phenom 9950 Quad-Core with an ASUS Triton 85 fan cooling it (AWESOME FAN
). I tried my first OC with this CPU by putting my overclock mode to CPU, PCIE async and changing the CPU frequency for 200 to 210. Saved and exited, after doing so, nothing would show up on my screen. Even after reboots, power offs etc. Had to reset the CMOS to get BIOS to post again. I tried many different things to get something stable to work. Am I over looking something very simple? PLEASE HELP!! I wanna juice this sucker!!
Please feel free to email me: [email protected] or add me abracapimpn on Yahoo IM.

·
Registered
5,319 Posts
Since you have a Black Edition CPU, don't mess with the fsb (CPU Freq) at all, just overclock by increasing the multiplier and voltage (within safe range).

• Rep+
Reactions: abracapimpn

·
Premium Member
2,258 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by awdrifter View Post
Since you have a Black Edition CPU, don't mess with the fsb (CPU Freq) at all, just overclock by increasing the multiplier and voltage (within safe range).
That will work, to an extent. BUT...

I would suggest that you:

A) Lower the Hypertransport multipler
B) Loosen your RAM timings
C)Bump up your CPU core voltage by ~25 mV

Hopefully that should get you somewhere.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I just tried increasing the CPU Frequency multiplier from 16 to 18 and i got black screened again. Had to jump the CMOS to get BIOS back. BTW dropping the jumper behind the mobo is no fun lol

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by alexgheseger
View Post

That will work, to an extent. BUT...

I would suggest that you:

A) Lower the Hypertransport multipler
B) Loosen your RAM timings
C)Bump up your CPU core voltage by ~25 mV

Hopefully that should get you somewhere.

I look around the BIOS.. What would I wanna set my timings to? I don't remember seeing the Hypertransport multiplyer though.

·
Registered
5,319 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by abracapimpn
View Post

Also I can't increase the voltage. Locked at .6 =/

Try downloading AMD Overdrive and see if you can increase the voltage using that program.

Just checked ASRock's website, the ASRock OC Tuner should support your board, you can definitely increase the CPU voltage and CPU multiplier through OC Tuner. So try setting the ram timing in bios like the above post said, and fine tune the voltage and multiplier with OC Tuner.

·
Registered
5,319 Posts
I have an Intel chipset board, so my settings will be different from yours. Here's a screenshot of what my settings looks like at 3.4ghz. DO NOT JUST PLUG IN THESE SETTINGS! Because you have an AMD chipset board, this is just to give you an idea of what you can do.

To get started, I would suggest increasing the multiplier to 14x, and increase the CPU voltage by 0.025v as the posts above suggested. If you're stable, then increase the multi to 15x. If you're not stable then increase the voltage by 0.050v. I believe the max safe volt for the Phenom is 1.5v, and max safe temp is 60C (full load) If you hit either of the limits, you should stop.

Edit: You can use either AMD Overdrive or ASRock OC Tuner. Although I'm not sure how much voltage control AMD Overdrive give you.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:

Originally Posted by awdrifter
View Post

I have an Intel chipset board, so my settings will be different from yours. Here's a screenshot of what my settings looks like at 3.4ghz. DO NOT JUST PLUG IN THESE SETTINGS! Because you have an AMD chipset board, this is just to give you an idea of what you can do.

To get started, I would suggest increasing the multiplier to 14x, and increase the CPU voltage by 0.025v as the posts above suggested. If you're stable, then increase the multi to 15x. If you're not stable then increase the voltage by 0.050v. I believe the max safe volt for the Phenom is 1.5v, and max safe temp is 60C (full load) If you hit either of the limits, you should stop.

Edit: You can use either AMD Overdrive or ASRock OC Tuner. Although I'm not sure how much voltage control AMD Overdrive give you.

wow thank you! I'm gonna download the OC tuner bc ya the overdrive does not give me adequate voltage control

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
"To get started, I would suggest increasing the multiplier to 14x, and increase the CPU voltage by 0.025v as the posts above suggested. If you're stable, then increase the multi to 15x. If you're not stable then increase the voltage by 0.050v. I believe the max safe volt for the Phenom is 1.5v, and max safe temp is 60C (full load) If you hit either of the limits, you should stop. Hmm when I press up once with the CPU voltage it makes me go to 1.3125 then I press again and it goes to 1.3250.. is that the voltage u suggest to jump to if im starting at 1.3000? im now at 2.8 CPU woohoo.. how do I know if im stable?

·
Registered
5,319 Posts
I use OCCT to test for stability. Run it for 30 mins for a quick test, if it's stable, then you can try going higher. When you finally hit either the temp or voltage wall, then drop the settings down to the last stable setting, then do a 2hr test with OCCT. If it passes, it'll be stable enough for 99% of tasks.

As for the voltage, when I say increase by 0.050v, that means going from 1.3v to 1.35v. Remember to click "Go" for the increase to take effect. And if you want to check your CPU speed in real time (right after you changed the multiplier), use a program called CPU-Z to check it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well I've got it up to 3.2 and im idling around 51C.. CPU Multiplier at 16 and my voltage is at 1.35.. I have not run the tests yet.. but I have played wow for a few minutes.. no crashes
I'm still getting ****ty frame rps though =/ got any good ideas how to OC my geforce 6800
I'm pretty sure thats whats holding me back.. cuz it can't be this monster clock i have now haha

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Also now thats im timed at 6 6 6 18.. can I lower this back down now? Or do I wanna keep it this loose? I seen that lower numbers are faster.. any advice?

·
Registered
5,319 Posts
You should test the stability using OCCT. WoW is not stressing the CPU very hard. And the 6800 is definitely holding your back gaming wise. I would suggest a HD4850 if you budget allows. I know I love mine.

Edit: You rams should have a sticker on what timing and voltage it's supposed to run at, you can set it back to those settings. But like I said, WoW is not a good stability tester, so I would suggest making sure the CPU is stable first before tightening the timing.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ya I errored after one minutes with OCCT
code 1 it said.. What should I lower first you think? and ya I should look into a new GPU.. Waste of money having this beastly CPU

1 - 20 of 28 Posts