Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys

I'm wondering. Would there be any compatibility issues between this motherboard and the new Geforce series, to be specific the RTX 3060 (Ti) one? I'm not asking now whether it would be a smart idea (bottleneck), but just if there would be compatibility issue between that motherboard (and/or cpu) and the new Geforce series, i.e. that the PC would simply not boot for whatever reason.

Any of you is able to say yay or nay to that question?

·
404 Title Not Found
2,330 Posts
Shouldn't have an issue as long as your power supply can handle the new card. But yes, 2500k/older platform will likely be a big bottleneck.

PCIE is generally universal between generations and slot size fyi, a 1x can work in a 16x slot and a 16x card can work in a 1x slot, so long as it allows it to plug in.

• Rep+
Reactions: lukair

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks a lot accskyman. That's what I figured as well. Yes, it will be huge bottleneck, but that's my problem for now. As for the power supply, I have a great Be Quite 580W and my rig is not too stressed and apparently 3060 is going to have around 180-200W drain so that shouldn't be an issue.

If others would disagree or would agree with accskyman's opinion, please voice your concerns here. Don't want to spend money to later find out I have to sell it and get an older model anyways.

·
ٴٴٴ╲⎝⧹˙͜>˙⧸⎠╱
6,463 Posts
Shouldn't have an issue as long as your power supply can handle the new card. But yes, 2500k/older platform will likely be a big bottleneck.

PCIE is generally universal between generations and slot size fyi, a 1x can work in a 16x slot and a 16x card can work in a 1x slot, so long as it allows it to plug in.
isn't sandy bridge only pcie 2 though?

between that and the already low IPC it'll bottleneck the ampere arch massively

·
Premium Member
6,392 Posts
Sometimes you gotta upgrade one thing at a time. It will work, but other new parts will help it work much better.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
I hope you OC that 2500k...

·
Registered
876 Posts
Pushing my 2500k to 4.7 or 5ghz (not hard to do) and using 2133 ram gave me a huge performance boost in most everything I did. I would strongly recommend looking into that if you don't plan on upgrading any time soon.

Even with the 2500k at 5ghz, from what I remember that puts it around stock i5-6600k performance which will still be a bottleneck.

A stock 2500k with 1600mhs DDR3 is going to be a killer bottleneck.

However, the 30xx series will work in your setup.

·
Premium Member
6,392 Posts
I think 3060ti is right up your alley. Fits well in the midrange cpu segment. and will have room to upgrade into the current gen upper segment as well.

• Rep+
Reactions: lukair

·
jones bones
271 Posts
Bumping an old thread here, I haven't posted in a while, but could use a little advice.
I'm trying to get my old rig up to par for vr, by upgrading a few things, but want to stay on the same platform, seeing as how i can't afford to get a new modern system altogether.

I have an oc'd [email protected]@ 1.24v, (golden chip...lol.) Yesterday i finally caved in and bought a 1070 on ebay, (newly refurbished Evga with 1 year left on warrenty) also bought 16 gb of [email protected], (hyperx fury", and i am stable on intelburntest on very high 10 passes.

Replaced themal paste (grizzly thermal extreme) and ran it again, still stable. I think I'm going to eventually get a vr setup so i can check out Alex, among a few other games. I'm suprised to read that someone will be running a high end card from the 30 series, "huge bottleneck...I was going to ask how much if, any will i be bottlenecked between my cpu and the 1070. It'a a black sc, w/e that's worth...heh.

Also, should i oc my ram to accomodate the new 1070 and a future vr setup? I'd rather not have to go throu getting system stable if i run into problems. Just trying to play it safe, but willing to oc it if i have to. This IS after all, ocn...yeah.

Oh, i forgot...i only game @ [email protected] My monitor is an older sammy 1920x1200. Still going very strong. Don't care to upgrade that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts