Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 181 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is being discussed already in the FM2 motherboards thread (http://www.overclock.net/t/1301979/trinity-apu-amd-socket-fm2-motherboard-discussion-gallery/230), but I wanted to draw more attention to the issue, in case anyone else has had a similar issue, or indeed if any Asrock reps are having a look at the forum and want to help us in any way.

There are three of us on that thread who have experienced problems with MOSFET's setting on fire. Here's a picture of mine: http://www.overclock.net/t/1301979/trinity-apu-amd-socket-fm2-motherboard-discussion-gallery/220#post_18799453 and here's a picture of one of the other guys: http://www.overclock.net/t/1301979/trinity-apu-amd-socket-fm2-motherboard-discussion-gallery/200#post_18778199

Has anyone else experienced this or any other problems with this board?

·
I'm NOT new to Overclock
11,139 Posts
ASRock have always used cheap, old MOSFETS (Or VRM's whichever word you want to use)

I'm not surprised at all that this has happened, this is the one reason I recommend the GA-Z77X-D3H motherboard over the ASRock boards.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had no idea what a MOSFET was until this happened.

The Z77 boards would be great if I was planning on an intel gaming install, but this was supposed to be an FM2 HTPC install with some sofa gaming. It's in a mini itx case and at the moment, there are no other options out there for FM2 ITX. I see the MSI looks to be the next one to be released, but there are still no real reviews of it out, so rather than potentially get burned (no pun intended) twice, I'd rather wait to get a reliable board. Unless anyone has any suggestions for an FM2 ITX board?

·
I'm NOT new to Overclock
11,139 Posts
Can you not use an AM3+ board, there are undoubtedly going to be more options for you

C

·
I'm NOT new to Overclock
11,139 Posts
Well,

The VRM's are linked to the processor quite heavily, it honestly wouldn't surprise me if it damaged that as well..

Comps

·
Watercooler
3,377 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by compuman145 View Post

Well,
The VRM's are linked to the processor quite heavily, it honestly wouldn't surprise me if it damaged that as well..
Comps
That's what i am thinking too... but then again it should be ok, since the second the mosfet/s popped the voltage from the PSU would have stopped and the motherboard would have had no power to it. So the CPU may be ok.

·
Premium Member
20,625 Posts
I'm going to list this down as failure prone... quite a disappointment, the first ASRock I've seen like this. Mini ITX does limit VRM size and capacity, however.

·
Premium Member
20,625 Posts
Question here. What was your CPU running speed and voltage, and CPU heatsink?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by xd_1771 View Post

I'm going to list this down as failure prone... quite a disappointment, the first ASRock I've seen like this. Mini ITX does limit VRM size and capacity, however.
It does seem like this one has some serious power management issues, or there's been a faulty batch or something. Three of us on this forum alone have had it blow in exactly the same spot.

It's a shame, I'd heard good things about Asrock.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by xd_1771 View Post

Question here. What was your CPU running speed and voltage, and CPU heatsink?
Stock, Stock and Stock.

Seriously.

The only 'overclock' that I did, was activate x-boost. I'd also adjusted the GPU ram to 2GB - there was an option in an updated Bios that allowed you to dedicate up to 2GB of system RAM to the GPU, rather than have it on auto.

I've said before that as far as voltages go, I don't know enough about it to mess about with it. I saw the options and it wasn't even clear what default voltage was, so I left it alone.

·
Premium Member
20,625 Posts
Ah. This was on the 5800k?

·
Premium Member
20,625 Posts
Yeah, it's the most power-intensive AMD Trinity APU at the moment, not that I'm surprised.

·
Watercooler
3,377 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artikbot View Post

Read up on the FM2 gallery thread xd, we've had several of these boards burn with A10-5700s on them (including mine).
Well then it could also relate to the temperature of the air inside the case not enough positive and hot air being caught on the VRMs thus overheating.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socks keep you warm View Post

Well then it could also relate to the temperature of the air inside the case not enough positive and hot air being caught on the VRMs thus overheating.
in my case, when the mosfet caught fire the case was wide open

1 - 20 of 181 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.