Overclock.net banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently using an asrock oc formula 3.1 x99 with a 5820k and 16gb of ram (4x4gb). Setup was solid w/ windows 8.1 until I decided to dual boot with Kali Linux (debian based). Goal was to create a strictly uefi boot machine with windows & linux. Problems started when I tried to create the linux partition on a USB and tried to boot from it, until I somehow was able to boot the installer and install to a partition. Before this happened I booted linux live in verbose mode and it looks like it stalled when it started booting the smp kernel. In detail the error message was something like this: smpboot, cpu#1 not responding. It did that until cpu #12 as I have a 5820k with hyper threading, then restarted.. Now, my motherboard's uefi doesn't even see the grub2 efi bootloader and only sees the windows boot manager. Any idea as to what is causing this, and why, when I tried booting kali it miraculously booted that one time which let me install it?

tl:dr

tried to setup dual boot windows 8.1 & kali linux, does not want to boot from linux usb - tried many times, finally boots somehow and allows me to install it. Everything is working fine, tested shutdown & restart into new grub2 bootloader, dual boot works just fine. When I go to restart the machine again from linux environment machine starts up and now doesn't even see the grub2 efi bootloader.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts