Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently upgraded my i7 9800X to a 10900X so I am wondering if I should also upgrade the motherboard while I am it. Currently I have an ASRock Fatal1ty i9 Professional Gaming XE board. Its been rock solid for an "older" board, meaning 2017. I do a lot of gaming but also some video encoding editing and converting. I was looking at the ASRock Creator and it looked like an updated version of my current board minus 1 USB 3.1 header and a third LAN port and no USB 3.1 Gen 2 type A port on the back. The Creator does have Thunderbolt 3 which is backwards compatible with usb 3.2 Gen 2 and Gen2x2 I believe. Even thluogh I have nothing that supports thunderbolt speeds or usb gen 2 speeds its nice to have them. Does anyone have experience with this board? And it is worth the upgrade?

·
Registered
500 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So far I haven't had those issues with my 10900X but nevertheless I am still looking to update the board. between the ASrock creator or the Taichi XLC, comes down to if I want 10GbE LAN and 2 thunderbolt ports vs, 2.5GbE LAN with wake on land and network software and USB 3.2x2 (though I think thunderbolt is backwards compatible with it). Other than that the boards are identical.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually now that I notice my current board's ACQ107 10gbE port does have wake on lan, says so in the manual description, however on the Creator there is no description but it is the same network controller. Does the Creator also have wake on lan for its 10gbE controller?

·
Registered
500 Posts
Actually now that I notice my current board's ACQ107 10gbE port does have wake on lan, says so in the manual description, however on the Creator there is no description but it is the same network controller. Does the Creator also have wake on lan for its 10gbE controller?
It would probably be better to ask Asrock support this question since not many people utilize wake on lan.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It would probably be better to ask Asrock support this question since not many people utilize wake on lan.
Yeah ASRock has a very cumbersome support network, hard to find a place to even email. Just so I am not wasting time, wake on lan would allow me to start my desktop from "off" through a remote connection on my laptop correct?

·
Registered
500 Posts
Yeah ASRock has a very cumbersome support network, hard to find a place to even email. Just so I am not wasting time, wake on lan would allow me to start my desktop from "off" through a remote connection on my laptop correct?
Yes it send a magic packet

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes it send a magic packet
That's what I though, I would like to be able to remote connecto to my desktop at home from my laptop. Maybe stream some games from the desktop or whatever. It wouldn't be a huge deal if the Creator board's 10gbE didn't support it as I could just switch to the intel port, but it would be nice. But then I also ask myself am I putting too much stock into 10gbE? I could go with the Taichi CLX which as 2.5gbE and has WoL plus network software. Nowadays it seems most x299 boards are relatively the same with some minor differences in USB ports and PCIe slots. This is my first ASRock board and so far I like it, every other board had been Gigabyte before. But this Fata1lity XE board is very nice, just feel this time around incremental upgrade may be cheaper since my last build was X79. The Creator seeems like its a newer version of my board minus a third network port and with 2 thunderbolt connectors. My only gripe with is is less USB 3.0 headers up front but I planned on getting a PCIe card anyway. Anyway, I am rambling on lol. Sorry.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Speaking of Thunderbolt 3, your current board has a TB3 header. All you would need is an add-in TB3 adapter like the Asus Thunderbolt EX3 or Gigabyte GC-Alpine Ridge. I tested both on X299 OC Formula when I had one and they worked fine, so should work for you.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes that is true and I considered it, but I figure it would be best overall just to upgrade the board and save the PCIe slot. I mean Thunderbolt isn't a huge deal since I don't even have anything that can support those speeds or a monitor I need it for. I have an Acer Predator 1440p with display port. Mainly I would like to update the board for the extra PCIe Lanes even though its small and a newer bios. Of course there is nothing wrong with my current board at all its been great. I am trying incremental updates this time around rather than waiting 5 or 6 years. I have looked at other boards as well, Gigabyte has a couple nice ones. All my previous boards before this ASRock have been Gigabyte, its one reason I made it a point to try another just for the sake of difference. It basically boils down to features. The ASRock Creator is closest to my current board as if its an update of it, just minus the third RJ45 port, USB 3.1 gen 2 type A, and one less USB 3.0 header. I assume these were left off to make room for the two TB3 ports. Its all a trade off since I would get a USB PCIe card to fill in my front ports and expand the rear ports. The Taichi CLX is also a very nice board, really the only difference is no 10gbE and no TB3, just 1x USB 3.2 gen 2 (20gbps) which also nice but I assume TB3 is backwards compatible with it, besides again I don't have any external drives that can use those speeds, at least not yet. But yeah comes down to a few features I guess is 10gbE worth putting weight into?

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I went ahead and purchased it, its currently on sale for 299 I figured now or never.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts