Overclock.net banner

8021 - 8036 of 8036 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Model numbers don't help :)
Yes we can jump to the X470 Taichi update path, as the boards are identical
Only the X470 Taichi has a Type C header which we lack, but it's just a small module more inside the bios
And so far half of the new RGB profiles don't work - RGB remains functional

ASRock does use X470 Tiachi bioses and cuts part of it out, remaining with a badly compiled bios for X370 Taichi
Which causes all kind of bugs
At least on the new >6.20A stuff bettered up, but the old bioses are a bugfest
AGESA FW stack patched bioses for 3rd gen is the page
Grab flashrom and make a MS_DOS usb. My post #4 has visual and written instructions taken exactly from a X370 Taichi
My signature has the Bios we have to use, let me doublecheck and likely reupload it again if all the mirrors died :)

simple:
flashrom -p internal -b backup.rom (this is a full bios backup,including your serial number profiles = warranty)
flashrom -p internal -w mod.rom (-w is write, this will wipe the whole SPI flashchip and write the new bios to it)

Flashrom is the correct way to downgrade and upgrade the Taichi's as it's a clean method and bypasses all ASRock signing restrictions
Updating the bios with the internal bios software, always leaves a part of the bios in-tact, as the bios is loaded and can't be cleanly replaced while it's loaded = causes bugs

I have to go out for the next 3h
DRAM calculator can be used after you are on 1003ABBA bios
There is no need to clear CMOS, as everything will be wiped by flashrom
Find out your ICs inside your memory kit, and try to work with the DRAM calculator
You are now an X470 Taichi user after the convert and can update official X470 Bioses
Overall, it's just easier this way. 6.20A is a good bios - but it's 1004B, 1003ABBA was the last fast one for 1st & 2nd gen
If you want to downconvert and send the board for warranty, just restore your backup.rom - but i see no reason to do so at this point :)
I flash convert with moded x470 bios.I m thinking serius to solder a big chip 32mb.We need a guide to find the right one.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Just looked into the new bios that support zen3 and are 19 mb sized.Im thinking to order a bios taichi x470 ready programmed,will it work? Will be able to flash common x470 bios from default flasher in bios? We need help from stilt and Veii here BIOS CHIP: ASROCK X470 Fatal1ty X470 Taichi | eBay
I would like to know if this works >
I messaged them and asked them about it have not heard back.
I am for trying this but I dont want to kill a perfectly good MB.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I would like to know if this works >
I messaged them and asked them about it have not heard back.
I am for trying this but I dont want to kill a perfectly good MB.
we have to flash this bios version and solder the bios chip in the mobo and hope we are not blocked from chipset as i see its recognized as x370 although in other stuff it like x470.eg i install AMD storemi

·
Registered
336 Posts
we have to flash this bios version and solder the bios chip in the mobo and hope we are not blocked from chipset as i see its recognized as x370 although in other stuff it like x470.eg i install AMD storemi
I got all the stuff to do soldering so that is easy.
Can we just solder the chip on with the X470 Taichi BIOS?
After that would regular X470 BIOS update work or brick because something still sees it as X370?

·
Registered
51 Posts
I got all the stuff to do soldering so that is easy.
Can we just solder the chip on with the X470 Taichi BIOS?
After that would regular X470 BIOS update work or brick because something still sees it as X370?
If you modify and flash convert x470 bios you will have x470 upgrade path.Soldering 32mb chip will make this better as wou will follow the path of x470.If AMD wants to lock as then it will be probably by recognising the chipset.As I read here it will be difficult to modify it and break the capsule to boot.Its better to get an an1swer by other experts here like @Veii or @1usmus .In the end we may get also beta bios as taichi x370 by Ashrock silent.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hi everyone, I am currently on 1700X on 2.40 Bios. No matter what my 2x16GB 3200 ram cannot go past 3066, it will not post. If I upgrade to 3900X for $399 at microcenter (I will have to install all the bridge BIOS before) do you think it will be able to run the ram at 3200? Right now I don't like the latency of Zen1...

·
Noctua Fanboy
1,082 Posts
Hi everyone, I am currently on 1700X on 2.40 Bios. No matter what my 2x16GB 3200 ram cannot go past 3066, it will not post. If I upgrade to 3900X for $399 at microcenter (I will have to install all the bridge BIOS before) do you think it will be able to run the ram at 3200? Right now I don't like the latency of Zen1...
What type of memory is it? Can you check using typhoon burner?

• Rep+
Reactions: Czarcastic

·
Registered
109 Posts
Yes, after upgrade to 3900x for sure your ram will run 3200 and more.

because ram speed is controlled by "Internal Memory Controller = IMC" inside the Ryzen, not on motherboard.

I used to have 1700x, and used to run 3133mhz C16 but needs many fine tuning, like soc 1.15v I think, ram at 1.41v I think, procODT at least 66.6ohms and 80ohms is better for my Corsair CMK32GX4M2B3000C15, else I could run 2933 C14

Oh but must be much newer bios, I was on 6.2 for 1700x, very good.

• Rep+
Reactions: Czarcastic

·
Noctua Fanboy
1,082 Posts
The only reason why i would update to X470 bios is if we can get Zen 3 on this motherboard.

Hoping one of you guys gives it a try!

·
Registered
48 Posts
The only reason why i would update to X470 bios is if we can get Zen 3 on this motherboard.

Hoping one of you guys gives it a try!
I read that AMD won't release AGESA for 400 series board for Zen 3 until early 2021. Looks like people will have to wait and see.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I'm about to upgrade my cpu which is a Ryzen 3 1200 to a 3600XT. My board's current bios version is 5.60 as it is the last bios version that support anything lower than matisse. Now my concern is this. The only bios version with Ryzen 3rd gen XT support is 6.40. Is it safe to update to 6.40 now with my current cpu even though asrock warns against it? Then after the bios update just proceed to shut it down then install the 3600xt? Will I be able to update the bios in the first place?

·
Registered
441 Posts
I'm about to upgrade my cpu which is a Ryzen 3 1200 to a 3600XT. My board's current bios version is 5.60 as it is the last bios version that support anything lower than matisse. Now my concern is this. The only bios version with Ryzen 3rd gen XT support is 6.40. Is it safe to update to 6.40 now with my current cpu even though asrock warns against it? Then after the bios update just proceed to shut it down then install the 3600xt? Will I be able to update the bios in the first place?
They are not recommending it for daily use with first gen Ryzen, but since you're upgrading your CPU, it should be fine.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I'm on 6.40 (with my 1700) since it got released.

It's quite stable and working as it should, but there are the occasional kinks that cause minor (for the most part) inconveniences and problems, nothing game braking though.

If you just want to upgrade to it and then change the cpu, you won't have the slightest problem.

Since we're on the subject...

I have trouble upgrading to Win 20H2 version (system gets stuck upon rebooting, and reverts to previous state after hard-reseting it), related to drivers afaik. It could be the notorious ethernet driver that messed up my previous OS installation, forcing me to format+reinstall.

There is an optional ethernet driver in Windows Update, but I'm hesitating, given the history.

Anyone encountered a similar behavior?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello all.
I just had a question on how to raise the power limits (ppt/edc/tdc) with a manual overclock in BIOS 6.40. I am currently on a 3800XT with 3733cl16 b-die ram. Running cpu at 4550mhz with 1.35vcore, soc 1.175v, ram 1.42v, llc2 for cpu and soc. When I run a benchmark like CineBench R20 or CPU-z stresstest the score is virtually the same even if I raise cpu to 4600mhz due to edc being capped. The benchmark multicore scores only lower once I lower cpu clock down to about 4475/4500mhz and EDC is no longer sitting at cap entire time. (140amps)

Temperatures are fine with VRM typically in upper 40s Celsius and the highest the cpu T-die gets is 70 degrees Celsius.

I prefer not to have to enable PBO just to raise the edc limit in Ryzen Master. PBO has been a bit wonky as far as stability goes with this CPU and doing the manual OC has felt a lot more stable overall and a lot less jitter/stutter in games like CSGO. The only place I see in x370 Taichi 6.40 bios to adjust power limits is in the PBO options. I have tried setting PBO to disabled and then manually setting the ppt/tdc/edc limits underneath but it has no effect once I am in Windows 10. With PBO enabled it appeared to raise the power limits when I checked it in Ryzen Master, but system would get a BSOD every couple days or so with PBO on.

Thanks!

8021 - 8036 of 8036 Posts