Overclock.net banner
9001 - 9020 of 9994 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Soooo...I replaced my Ballistix Elite (2x8, b-dies, downbin) with Ballistix Micron-E dies (2x8).

Using dramcalc got to 3600/16/1800 fast timings in 3' and then spent about 3-4 hours to get 3800/16-1900 fast to work.

Had no problem setting it, but I would get WHEA error 18&restart during AIDA64 mem bench.

All I had to do, it seems, was to disable spread spectrum. I know it shouldn't make any difference, but it did.

I went from this:

To this:

It's stable...2+ hours of BFV stable (not just the 20xTM5 cycles 1usmus config), anything I've tried stable.

My 5600X is a dual CCD chip...don't know if it has anything to do.

Cheers.

PS:I'm planning to try a 3933 run, just for the fan of it. I'll report back.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Soooo...I replaced my Ballistix Elite (2x8, b-dies, downbin) with Ballistix Micron-E dies (2x8).

Using dramcalc got to 3600/16/1800 fast timings in 3' and then spent about 3-4 hours to get 3800/16-1900 fast to work.

Had no problem setting it, but I would get WHEA error 18&restart during AIDA64 mem bench.

All I had to do, it seems, was to disable spread spectrum. I know it shouldn't make any difference, but it did.

I went from this:

View attachment 2519732

To this:

View attachment 2519733

It's stable...2+ hours of BFV stable (not just the 20xTM5 cycles 1usmus config), anything I've tried stable.

My 5600X is a dual CCD chip...don't know if it has anything to do.

Cheers.

PS:I'm planning to try a 3933 run, just for the fan of it. I'll report back.

Impressive!!!
without WHEA Errors?

·
Like a fox!
3,024 Posts
Do you use the onboard audio? And if you do, do you notice any issues with sound quality after turning off spread spectrum? I tried it on my X370 and with spread spectrum disabled + overclocking ram I was having little pop noises and click noises all the time in windows when using the onboard 3.5mm audio jack (not optical). I had to turn spread spectrum back on. Maybe it was just my board causing the issues?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Do you use the onboard audio? And if you do, do you notice any issues with sound quality after turning off spread spectrum? I tried it on my X370 and with spread spectrum disabled + overclocking ram I was having little pop noises and click noises all the time in windows when using the onboard 3.5mm audio jack (not optical). I had to turn spread spectrum back on. Maybe it was just my board causing the issues?
No, I didn't notice anything like that, everything works as it did with spr.sp on. I'll keep an eye/ear for it, though.

Btw, 3866/3933 etc is not supported on dram calc, so I didn't try anything. I did try GDM=off, it worked with tRCDRD 20 (instead of 19), but I had virtually the same results (latency, cpu bench scores etc).

All in all, quite happy.

·
Registered
248 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Hello guys, curious question.

Why zentiming can't show voltages for V_dimm and V_mem-VTT ???

only one can
thomasck NEW!!! DRAM Calculator for Ryzen™ 1.7.3 (overclocking...

but below one of thomasck also can't.

why?

can't
Dekaohtoura Asrock X370 Taichi Overclocking Thread
thomasck Asrock X370 Taichi Overclocking Thread
Senniha Asrock X370 Taichi Overclocking Thread
papatsonis Asrock X370 Taichi Overclocking Thread
Overpowered Asrock X370 Taichi Overclocking Thread
Shroomalistic Asrock X370 Taichi Overclocking Thread
fcchin NEW!!! DRAM Calculator for Ryzen™ 1.7.3 (overclocking...

·
Like a fox!
3,024 Posts
They do look very similar. I'm seeing subtle differences though. Mainly the location of one of the PCIE-1x slots is moved around. I see a few electrical traces on the PCB are routed differently between them. And the X470 Taichi has a few surface mount IC's and components added that the X370 Taichi does not have. They seem to be the same otherwise though, about 98% identical.

·
Registered
62 Posts
No, I didn't notice anything like that, everything works as it did with spr.sp on. I'll keep an eye/ear for it, though.

Btw, 3866/3933 etc is not supported on dram calc, so I didn't try anything. I did try GDM=off, it worked with tRCDRD 20 (instead of 19), but I had virtually the same results (latency, cpu bench scores etc).

All in all, quite happy.
Out of curiosity, i just disabled the spread spectrum. Still massive whea errors even doing mem benches...

·
Registered
75 Posts
They do look very similar. I'm seeing subtle differences though. Mainly the location of one of the PCIE-1x slots is moved around. I see a few electrical traces on the PCB are routed differently between them. And the X470 Taichi has a few surface mount IC's and components added that the X370 Taichi does not have. They seem to be the same otherwise though, about 98% identical.
There are more in this subject.
X370 Professional Gaming use the same board of X370 Taichi just adding 5Gbe NIC and Power/Reset buttons.
X470 Taichi and X470 Taichi Ultimate are the same just adding 10Gbe NIC and Power/Reset buttons.

There are layout difference between X370 and X470 boards and :
  • the RGB controller doesn't act the same
  • the X370 boards have 10 SATA ports; the X470 have 8 ports
  • minor re-position of 1x pcie slot

I use both X370 Professional Gaming and X470 Taichi Ultimate boards with 3950x and 5900x.

Looks like Asrock reuse the layout/project to different boards just changing/disabling some features. Other example are X570 Aqua and X570 Creator.

• Rep+
Reactions: Heuchler

·
Overclock the World
3,795 Posts
In the Bios for the PCH it doesn't care if it has 8 ports or more
The bios also doesn't care if it has a 5gbe NIC , as either the module is in there or it isn't
The layout is pretty identical and these differences are auto recognized
Soo PG & Taichi's can all use the same bios, with little changed functionality

The RGB controller is very similar to identical
You can control it, but the layout is smaller. PG and X470 Taichi have more RGBs - yet the FW is what manages the matrix. The Software of X470 works on it :)

·
Ryzen Enthusiast
58 Posts
Might as well chime in with my P6.62 experience. Just got the 5900X and 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600c16 today. Installed to find the same WHEA errors mentioned above, but 1600 MHz IF/DRAM works fine. Not going to sweat any performance lost over it considering how much I've gained over the 1700 this has replaced. Definitely a happy camper.

• Rep+
Reactions: RyzonableOc

·
Registered
248 Posts
Truly, bios 6.4 provides ram voltages to ZenTiming but bios 6.61 and 6.62 lost ram voltages. 【Edit 2021 Aug 16 - just notice bios 6.61 lost CCD_VDDG voltage too】。

• Sad
Reactions: Veii

·
Registered
54 Posts
Does 6.62 bios still support 1000/2000 series Ryzens? I switched board and old board still has 6.62 flashed in. I should have downgraded it before disassembly to prevent possible compability issues.

·
Like a fox!
3,024 Posts
Does 6.62 bios still support 1000/2000 series Ryzens? I switched board and old board still has 6.62 flashed in. I should have downgraded it before disassembly to prevent possible compability issues.
I may be wrong here (And someone is welcome to correct me if I am wrong?) but I'm pretty sure all X370 motherboards that will have a bios that supports the 5000 series Ryzen chips will have to delete support for older 1000 and 2000 series chips from the bios due to the size limitation of the bios chip. They can usually only support 2 families of ryzen chips at a time so that would be 5000 series and 3000 series.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I may be wrong here (And someone is welcome to correct me if I am wrong?) but I'm pretty sure all X370 motherboards that will have a bios that supports the 5000 series Ryzen chips will have to delete support for older 1000 and 2000 series chips from the bios due to the size limitation of the bios chip. They can usually only support 2 families of ryzen chips at a time so that would be 5000 series and 3000 series.
Half true ... Asrock maintain minimal support to Ryzen 1000/2000 in 6.62 so it boot ok but various tweaks and memory support ( XMP etc ) are removed. The goal seems to be no deadlocks when updating / changing from older to newer Ryzen.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Half true ... Asrock maintain minimal support to Ryzen 1000/2000 in 6.62 so it boot ok but various tweaks and memory support ( XMP etc ) are removed. The goal seems to be no deadlocks when updating / changing from older to newer Ryzen.
What do you mean by XMP removed? here 2700x with xmp 3200 working.

9001 - 9020 of 9994 Posts