Overclock.net banner
10201 - 10220 of 10263 Posts

· Registered
6,570 Posts
Zen2 and Zen3 doesn't support Eclk, Zen and Zen+ do. New Zen4s do too. So this has nothing to do with Asrock.
But then how would the Asus Crosshair VIII Extreme get to such high BCLK if Zen 3 doesn't support it. It was able to overclock the 5800X3D to 104.2mhz BLCK.

· Registered
4 Posts
That's basic BCLK overclocking, X370 Taichi can do that too. 104Mhz is definitely not high for CPU, but without Eclk support you are overlocking other buses too and thats why you can get only few Mhz past 100, and getting even that is not simple and depends on other components. With Zen or Zen+ you could set other buses to 100Mhz and get more freedom for CPU BCLK.

· Registered
265 Posts
Also, adding the other 2 DIMMs and setting the frequency to 3200 (XMP) and entering the correct secondary timings resulted in BSOD-ing even at 1.4 volts, so for now I'm at 3000MHz @1.35V. And while we're at this, how can I find out the proper values for ALL of the secondary timings? The BIOS (XMP information) reveals little, and Thaiphoon burner even less, compared to the plethora of settings available under "advanced dram timings" or how it's called...
sometimes the full primary and secondary XMP simply does not want to cooperate with certain bios versions in taichi x370, for example Corsair CMK32GX4M2B300C15 will not boot with X470TC version 4.9 but will be 100% mem test pass on other versions, forgot, too many.

but taichi x370 will cooperate with GALAX HOF 3600 HOF4CXL3BST3600K17LD162CL 2020 version old RGB, even loading XMP will succesfully call up SOC 1.1v, cldo_vddp 1v, VDDG_CCD and IOD 1.1v for a succesful boot into windows using only primary XMP, but secondary is auto calculated by bios, which is still convenient.

the full secondaries can be found using zentiming or ryzen master, via trial and error forcing most of the parameters we know and hoping the others that will appear might be the one you're looking for, and how to know this? Use 1usmus dram calculator and write them all down on a logbook, safe, fast, A0/B0, manual, bad bin, A2/B2 etc all the combinations in a single page and compare to the zentiming or ryzen master, after looking at hundreds of parameters in the same page you will notice some parameters are higher in fast versus safe versus manual etc etc......which defeats the purpose of fast tight timing, hence for the highest chance of succesful boot, use all the highest parameters from all the combinations safe, fast, A0/B0, manual, bad bin, A2/B2, i.e. mix them all up and should be a good start point. Assuming it boots.

I want to emphasize on cldo_vddp 1v is infinity fabric default it seems for zen2 and zen3, try bump up a little like 1.05v and 1.1v when 4 sticks are loaded and pushing higher FCLK etc....

I don't have a zen3, but my zen2 willing to go 3333MT/s on CMK32GX4M2B3000C15 = http://www.my-acoustic.com/images/3333 memtest PASS 71ns 141second 16-18-18-18-40-60-480-357-219.png

and 3733MT/s on GALAX HOF HOF4CXL3BST3600K17LD162CL
needed 1.05v cldo_vddp

· Registered
22 Posts
Thank you, that's a lot of useful information!

Also a lot has happened to my system since my last post. New memory (G.Skill Trident Z Neo) arrived a day after that, I installed it and it was good to go @3600CL18 from the first attempt. To my surprise, I lost almost 2000 points in GeekBench 5 multi-core. Tried new memory @3200CL16 and all other timings from the old Corsair, didn't do much difference.

Turns out that it's well-known that Zen 3 performs worse with 2 dimms vs. 4, but somehow I was unaware. No problem, tried to recover some of the loss by playing with PBO limits, curves, etc. Managed to bring back around 1000 points, but still short of 14.5k. Anyway, after 1-2 days of trying various stuff I decided to go back to the original BIOS and turns out that it works perfectly with the G.Skill kit. Performance still hasn't improved and thermals are more or less the same (I made a big mistake earlier when I said the CPU is much hotter with the X470 BIOS. At the same time I switched to a new Prime95 version and this is much more taxing for the CPU. Testing with the older version resulted in temps well below 80 deg. C).

During this time I had many doubts and second thoughts, and for all the pain this upgrade inflicted to me I was very tempted to just put everything back in its box and get my money back and go AM5 at some point next year, so one night I decided that I'll stick to the 5900X only if it'll run on my old board with its original BIOS and together with my old RAM.

So off with the G.Skill, on with just a single pair of Corsair, system started, I ran a full round of TM5 with zero errors. Installed the second pair, after some time found the system in a BSOD. Decreased memory clock to 3066, and at this point it would pass TM5 "[email protected]" with flying colours. I also (re)started Windows for no less than 15 times, doing simple tasks at each restart (starting programs, copying files, some benching). At this time I had another of those "fake eureka" moments when I thought the problem is solved, and maybe it was caused by a bad flash (when using the built-in tool vs. using flashrom).

As you might imagine, next day when I turned on the system I was greeted with the well-known sound of full speed fans. But this time I was armed with the knowledge gathered from this thread :) and proceeded to test out some hypotheses. Infinity clock was on Auto, setting it to 1533 didn't change a thing. But playing with PBO limits immediately brought the system to life (I set some values very close to the defaults). And it works perfectly to this day, although I don't think I started my rig for 15 times yet, and it has shown that it's capable of at least that number even with improper settings :)

Asus motherboard and G.Skill ram are back in the store awaiting their next happy owner(s). Return window for the CPU ended few days ago, so I'm stuck with it for the near future. Crossflashing the X470 BIOS is always an option if the board starts acting up again (I'd prefer not to, but I might be forced to do so if the wild beast cannot be tamed with just playing with some random values that shouldn't result in this behaviour).

I wish I had a conclusion, but it's hard to draw one. I think the CMK16GX4M2B3200C16, or at least the version that I have, is somewhat incompatible with the Zen 3 IMC, and the problem is somehow exacerbated on the X370TC. Also I think that there's a bug in version 7.10 (that propagated from 7.0x versions) that makes the board go rogue when it encounters some settings it doesn't like. IMO, a beep, error message of any kind, automatic cmos reset would be far more helpful than just hanging with fans on "take off" and case buttons disabled...

· Like a fox!
3,158 Posts
Turns out that it's well-known that Zen 3 performs worse with 2 dimms vs. 4, but somehow I was unaware. No problem, tried to recover some of the loss by playing with PBO limits, curves, etc. Managed to bring back around 1000 points, but still short of 14.5k. Anyway, after 1-2 days of trying various stuff I decided to go back to the original BIOS and turns out that it works perfectly with the G.Skill kit. Performance still hasn't improved and thermals are more or less the same (I made a big mistake earlier when I said the CPU is much hotter with the X470 BIOS. At the same time I switched to a new Prime95 version and this is much more taxing for the CPU. Testing with the older version resulted in temps well below 80 deg. C).
It's not so much the 2 sticks vs 4 sticks, that shouldn't matter. What might of actually happened is you may of went from single-rank (older ram) to dual-rank newer ram. Dual rank ram incurs a slight performance penalty. Usually higher capacity kits are dual rank.

Also: You might want to find something better to test your system with (Like Cinebench on a loop, you can tell it to run for X seconds in settings, tell it to run for a few hours maybe). Prime95 stopped being useful to test our computers about 5-7 years ago. That's a very old test for old computers. Most folks don't use it anymore. Prime95 can make ryzen systems run hotter than they normally otherwise would and cause thermal throttling for no reason when you may never actually see the chip that hot in typical usage. It's for this reason that it's advised not to use it anymore. It's kind of along the lines of no one should be using the fuzzy donut test to test video cards anymore either.

· Like a fox!
3,158 Posts
Pretty much the reverse. Everything else being equal dual rank is faster than single rank - because the CPU can do two different things at once (one operation per rank at a time). Of course, if you can't keep the same frequency/latency with 4 sticks over 2, you could lose performance.
Yeah I was wrong and I meant to flip that. It's just been a busy day here with stuff and I forgot to get in there and edit my comment, thanks for correcting me.

· Passing by
41 Posts
New Bios has been released two days ago 7.30

· Everyone's connected ...
112 Posts
Same in PG? More changelog:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Passing by
41 Posts
that's weird. The 7.30 bios was removed from Asrock site.

· Like a fox!
3,158 Posts

What are you even going on about? I just went to the website and the 7.30 bios is right there. It's still there to download at the time of writing this message.

· Registered
277 Posts

What are you even going on about? I just went to the website and the 7.30 bios is right there. It's still there to download at the time of writing this message.
Yup, it's still there.

· Passing by
41 Posts

OK , my bad. under incognito i do see the latest version.

· Passing by
41 Posts
Ah, TYVM.

Did you restore your settings from the previous one (5.10, I guess) or they were wiped clean and you did everything from scratch?
Actually I was @ 7.10 , saved both on profiles and on USB and I restored from profile without any problem

· Registered
78 Posts
  • Rep+
Reactions: fcchin

· Registered
88 Posts
It is time for me to say goodbye to X370 Taichi I had since 2017, I am giving my old system 5950X/X370 Taichi/RTX 2080 to my brother after upgrading to 7950X/X670E Steel Legend/4080 Founder's edition. It was a good run of nearly 6 years and many cpu upgrades (1700X - 2700 - 3900 - 5950X), I hope my AM5 can have a similar longevity.

10201 - 10220 of 10263 Posts