Overclock.net banner

ASRock X670E Taichi/Taichi Carrara Overclocking & Discussion Thread

30473 Views 506 Replies 29 Participants Last post by  TrantaLocked
Technology Font Engineering Computer Audio equipment

Font Personal computer Electronic device Gadget Technology

• Supports AMD Ryzen™ 7000 Series Processors
  • 24+2+1 Phase Power Design, SPS for VCore+GT
  • 4 x DDR5 DIMMs, supports up to 6600+(OC)
  • 2 PCIe 5.0 x16
  • Graphics Output Options: 2 USB4 Type-C, 1 HDMI
  • Realtek ALC4082 5.1 CH HD Audio Codec,
    ESS SABRE9218 DAC, WIMA Audio Caps
  • 1 Blazing M.2 (PCIe Gen5x4),
    1 Hyper M.2 (PCIe Gen4x4 & SATA3),
    2 Hyper M.2 (PCIe Gen4x4),
    8 SATA3
  • 2 USB4 Type-C (Rear),
    1 USB 3.2 Gen2x2 Type-C (Front),
    5 USB 3.2 Gen2 Type-A (Rear),
    7 USB 3.2 Gen1 (3 Rear, 4 Front)
  • Killer 2.5G LAN
  • Killer 802.11ax Wi-Fi 6E + Bluetooth
1 - 20 of 507 Posts

· Registered
96 Posts
general impressions are its a very good board with performance of high tier x670e minus the brand tax of asus and msi
if asrock delivers good bios support for it, i can see becoming a good board for am5

· Premium Member
8,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

· Premium Member
8,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
general impressions are its a very good board with performance of high tier x670e minus the brand tax of asus and msi
if asrock delivers good bios support for it, i can see becoming a good board for am5
VRM is incredible.

VRM Specifications
Power Design:Vcore: 24-phase SoC: 2-phase VDD_MISC: 1-phase
Teamed / Doublers:Teamed
CPU PWM:Renesas RAA229628
Power Stages:Vcore: Renesas RAA22010540 (105 A) SoC: Renesas RAA22010540 (105 A) VDD_MISC: Renesas ISL99360 (60 A) VDDIO_MEM_S3: Vishay SIC431 (60 A?)

Edit: That's the same VRM specs as the X670E Aorus Xtreme and some other of the really high-end boards from others that cost much more.

· Premium Member
8,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The only bad thing about the board is only one Gen 5 M.2. You can run up to two more Gen 5 M.2s in the second PCI-E slot I think, even RAID 0 when you can buy a card for it, but I'll be using that slot for a 10Gb ethernet card. My ISP is supposed to have up to 8Gb up and down sometime soon.

· Senior OCN Member
46,425 Posts
As far as i am aware this is the only AM5 motherboard with 8 SATA ports but i also saw someone talking about that only half of the SATA ports runs on the chipset the other half runs on something else

Anyone have any info on that?

· Registered
96 Posts
The only bad thing about the board is only one Gen 5 M.2. You can run up to four more Gen 5 M.2s in the second PCI-E slot I think, even RAID 0 when you can buy a card for it, but I'll be using that slot for a 10Gb ethernet card. My ISP is supposed to have up to 8Gb up and down sometime soon.
thats fine gen 5 dont have insanely good random write/read so they are still far from must have. i think you can have 1 primary gen 5 drive along with gen 4 secondary storage drives. good this has 10gb nic and loads of usbs. i need my usbs... my case has lots of front i/o

· Premium Member
8,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

· Premium Member
8,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thats fine gen 5 dont have insanely good random write/read so they are still far from must have. i think you can have 1 primary gen 5 drive along with gen 4 secondary storage drives. good this has 10gb nic and loads of usbs. i need my usbs... my case has lots of front i/o
It doesn't have a 10Gb NIC, it has a 2.5Gb NIC.

· Premium Member
8,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

· Registered
4,350 Posts
One NIC. Intel Killer though.
That's not a positive. The "Killer" NICs are the flakiest ones I've ever used. They can also be frustrating to get working in Linux, unless Intel have sorted that out.

· Tank destroyer and a god
2,921 Posts
That's not a positive. The "Killer" NICs are the flakiest ones I've ever used. They can also be frustrating to get working in Linux, unless Intel have sorted that out.
As far I am aware there is quite good hardware under the hood, they just opt to use custom SW with the brand Killer and custom QoS software. It has worked for me, but can be overwhelming with steep learning curve.

• Rep+
Reactions: Paradigm Shifter

· Time Traveller
8,914 Posts
guessing gen 5 get even hotter
My guess is that it's wrongly positioned; right above the GPU, taking all that heat.
In fact I find the idea of putting disks directly on the motherboard wrong, they can't be cooled properly.
There should be a row of PCIe connectors bellow the SATA connectors, something like 6xSATA and 4xPCIe. And then you'd have your disks connecting via cables.
Like that you can have all your disks at the front of the case, being cooled by the intake fans, as it always was.

· Registered
66 Posts
As far as i am aware this is the only AM5 motherboard with 8 SATA ports but i also saw someone talking about that only half of the SATA ports runs on the chipset the other half runs on something else

Anyone have any info on that?
I have this board, and can confirm that 4 sata ports are amd, the other ports are asmedia 1061

currently facing power state issues with storahci, think i`m gonna purchase another nvme drive....

· Senior OCN Member
46,425 Posts
I have this board, and can confirm that 4 sata ports are amd, the other ports are asmedia 1061

currently facing power state issues with storahci, think i`m gonna purchase another nvme drive....
So if i wanted to upgrade to AM5 and need 8 SATA ports i should get another board and install the HBA card i have?
I know i wont be buying Asus boards the only board they have with 6 SATA ports is the top of the line board

The MSI X670E Carbon WIFI seems like the best option for my use case other than the fact that its way overpriced
The whole AM5 eco system is way overpriced

1 - 20 of 507 Posts