Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
iPuppet
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813157262

And here comes Asrock's efforts in bringing Bulldozer to the budget users, too bad the BD CPUs are still only in the AMD factory.

ASRock AMD 9 Series Zone

ASRock > Products > 970 Extreme4

Quote:

ASRock Dura Cap (2.5 x longer life time), 100% Japan-made high-quality Conductive Polymer Capacitors
Supports AM3+ Processor, 8-Core CPU
Supports Dual Channel DDR3 2100(OC)
Supports AMD Quad CrossFireXâ„¢ , 3-Way CrossFireXâ„¢ and CrossFireXâ„¢ *
Supports NVIDIA® SLI™ *
4 x USB 3.0, 5 x SATA3, 2 x IEEE 1394, Dr. Debug, Power/Reset/Clear CMOS Switch with LED
7.1 CH HD Audio with Content Protection (Realtek ALC892 Audio Codec), Supports THX TruStudioâ„¢
Supports XFast USB Technology, Graphical UEFI
Supports On/Off Play, Instant Boot, Instant Flash, APP Charger, SmartView, Turbo UCC

*3 x PCI Express 2.0 x16 slots (PCIE2/PCIE4: single at x16 (PCIE2) / x8 (PCIE4), or dual at x8 (PCIE2) / x8 (PCIE4) ; PCIE5: x4 mode)
ASRock 970 Extreme4 Specs

And here comes my simple PnS photos.

BOX

BUNDLED GOODIES

MOBO
- Note the nVidia SLI certified screen printed label in addition to the usual ATI CrossfireX one

BRANDING, HEATSINKS, BUTTONS AND DEBUG LED

THRONE OF POWER
- 3 fan headers sitting pretty in a row

STORAGE & FRONT USB3

UEFI screenshots
- sprinkling of F12 screenie captures

Test rig
Phenom II x2 560 unlocked to x3 at 3.8GHz [email protected] (good cores are 0, 2, 3 while core 1 is bad)
Antec Kuhler 620, push pull fan config
2 x 4GB [email protected]
HIS HD 6950 unlocked shaders
Enermax NAXN 850W PSU

Prime95 Blend
- short run to check stability esp. core unlocking and CPU-NB o'c

3DMark11 P Scores
see below for SLI scores

Temperature Readings of Heatsinks
- measured during Prime95 Blend run, had to use a cheapo IR gun for now as none of the HW Monitor readings corresponded to CPU temps.

unlocked [email protected] CPU IHS 42C
Kuhler 620 Radiator 40C
Mosfet 47C
Southbridge 40C
RAM 40C

Update
- after trying out a few utilities, finally found that the present version of HWInfo32 does the job very well of reading the onboard sensors of this mobo and yet does not deactivate CnQ. Pity it still does not read the vCPU-NB but otherwise, it's great cos it is freeware and has a systray display feature too (the green boxed icon in the screenie below).

S3 Sleep & Resume
- is a-OK even when overclocked!

Notes: Present UEFI P1.10 needs some more polishing esp. with vCPU-NB (overvolts) and core unlocking. CnQ is disabled once the CD bundled AXTU is installed and run (need to uninstall AXTU to restore CnQ).

More to come...

·
iPuppet
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Intel/Nvidia
3,451 Posts
Wow, very nice. But I am still considering the Sabertooth 990FX.

·
iPuppet
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by raisethe3
View Post

Wow, very nice. But I am still considering the Sabertooth 990FX.

Take the CHV instead if you really want Asus, I have tested both the Asus models too and the Sabretooth is definitely not as polished.

·
iPuppet
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Each and every single model, the manufacturer/distributor had sent me.

But BD is just nowhere in sight locally...

·
iPuppet
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This one is cheap and quite awesome so far, just that it isn't too good with non-BE CPUs yet due to it being so new and its UEFI still needing some polishing. Somehow I love 'underdog' brands/models esp. a surprise hit like this which comes with an unbelievably solid balance of cost, features and performance.

If I can just find some time to pop in my 1090T, I may be more able to tell you how it may run with your 1100T. I have only tried it out with a [email protected], 970BE and 1055T. Still got my [email protected] and 1090T to go... if I don't get distracted by the next new toy.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MacClipper
View Post

This one is cheap and quite awesome so far, just that it isn't too good with non-BE CPUs yet due to it being so new and its UEFI still needing some polishing. Somehow I love 'underdog' brands/models esp. a surprise hit like this which comes with an unbelievably solid balance of cost, features and performance.

If I can just find some time to pop in my 1090T, I may be more able to tell you how it may run with your 1100T. I have only tried it out with a [email protected], 970BE and 1055T. Still got my [email protected] and 1090T to go... if I don't get distracted by the next new toy.

alright..do it baby..lol

·
Registered
86 Posts
ummmmm

very good review

one question, can you control Sys_fan header's speed with a 3th party software (like SpeedFan maybe)

im considering ASrock to the new build (when BD comes) but it is very important for me have control to 3 fan headers (plus CPU_fan of course)

thankyou very much!

·
Premium Member
32,942 Posts
Very nice results!

·
Intel/Nvidia
3,451 Posts
Could you elaborate on your term "polished"? I read the Sabertooth member club here and many reviews saying this is an excellent board. Has every feature that the Crosshair V have, except for the buttons and the expander to do 4-way SLI, but I am never going to use more than 2 anyways.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacClipper
View Post

Take the CHV instead if you really want Asus, I have tested both the Asus models too and the Sabretooth is definitely not as polished.

·
Head Smeghead of OCN
3,159 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by raisethe3
View Post

..... Has every feature that the Crosshair V have, except for the buttons and the expander to do 4-way SLI, but I am never going to use more than 2 anyways.

Actually the CHV can only do Tri-SLI, not a quad SLI/Crossfire setup - At least that's how this one is as purchased.
I did pull the trigger on the CHV and so far it's been a good board, quirky but good.

ASRock does make some of the best hardware for the $$'s spent and I do have one or two around here that's been nothing but great so far. In fact some ASRock boards are near or even at the top of their class for performace, reliability and cost.

·
Premium Member
20,625 Posts
I think they mean quad-SLI in this board as in two dual GPUs

·
iPuppet
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
This post is for the potential mobo upgraders who are still holding on to their old chipset/mobos undecided.

Checking out the unlocking of the older revision C2 CPUs
... and yup, it works. Using the latest P1.20 UEFI release which is still slightly quirky with core unlocking, HTT clocking and CPU-NB overvolting but no matter, it does work after a few tries to string the UEFI settings all together.

My old hot running Phenom II 550BE (VID 1.35V iirc) being put back into service, running overclocked at 3.5 GHz, NB2600 cores unlocked successfully.

HTH

1 - 20 of 75 Posts