Overclock.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Small question if i hook up my wireless printer and set to only assign 3 IP's out of the router, 1 for my main rig 1 for the second rig and 1 for the printer, when the printer is off can the IP be assigned else where?

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazy9000 View Post
Yes, but it might complicate things if you turn the printer on while its IP is taken.
hmm anyway around this while keeping the IP secure and the printer wireless?

·
Old school
14,411 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SlicketyRickety View Post
Small question if i hook up my wireless printer and set to only assign 3 IP's out of the router, 1 for my main rig 1 for the second rig and 1 for the printer, when the printer is off can the IP be assigned else where?
Yeah no problem, but why only 3 IP's?

·
Fettered Firewall
2,491 Posts
Can you assign a static IP to the printer?

I have a wireless OfficeJet that has a static IP and I limit my wireless router to WFilter (wireless filter) only the MAC addresses of those wireless clients I wish.

I start my DHCP range @ xxx.xxx.xxx.106 meaning anything between xxx.xxx.xxx.100 - xxx.xxx.xxx.106 are reserved. This way I have my 3 LAN connections from my main rig (2 hard, 1 virtual teamed address .100,.101,.102) my other PC (.103) and wireless printer (.104) are all setup with static.

My wireless laptop, TiVo HD, Nintendo Wii and DS's are all straight DHCP however each has a wireless filter for their MAC's.

Now, if someone wants to come over and jack into my wireless I have to get their MAC and add it or temporarily disable my WFilter.

Also, there is a thing called Static DHCP on some router softwars (tomato has it) where a MAC address connecting to the wired or wireless ports are assigned a specific IP Address regardless. Not sure why many would use this since it's just easier to assign the device the IP but in those cases where a client is strictly WIRELESS and you have no option to assign a static IP in the device; Static DHCP will always give them a DHCP address but it's one you've specified. This way you are basically static as well.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acoma_Andy View Post
Yeah no problem, but why only 3 IP's?
Because i have 2 computers and printer, did i mention i suck at locking down my network
thats the only way i can keep people off my wireless network. Unless there is a better way.

·
Old school
14,411 Posts
Quote:

Because i have 2 computers and printer, did i mention i suck at locking down my network
thats the only way i can keep people off my wireless network. Unless there is a better way.
Ehh, put a password on it?

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ictinike View Post
Can you assign a static IP to the printer?

I have a wireless OfficeJet that has a static IP and I limit my wireless router to WFilter (wireless filter) only the MAC addresses of those wireless clients I wish.

I start my DHCP range @ xxx.xxx.xxx.106 meaning anything between xxx.xxx.xxx.100 - xxx.xxx.xxx.106 are reserved. This way I have my 3 LAN connections from my main rig (2 hard, 1 virtual teamed address .100,.101,.102) my other PC (.103) and wireless printer (.104) are all setup with static.

My wireless laptop, TiVo HD, Nintendo Wii and DS's are all straight DHCP however each has a wireless filter for their MAC's.

Now, if someone wants to come over and jack into my wireless I have to get their MAC and add it or temporarily disable my WFilter.
That sounds like it would work problem is i have no idea what that means im totally clueless with networking, i understand how to limit ip's and assign static IP but the mac address thing has me confused. is there a guide i can read like a hundred times?

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acoma_Andy View Post
Ehh, put a password on it?

it is passworded but the get right in on the wireless side of the network if i don't limit them.

·
Fettered Firewall
2,491 Posts
Quote:

Locking down wireless is easy bro.

Setup WPA(2) security and give it a unique password/key.

Enable Wireless MAC Filters to only enable and grant access to those MAC address that match a particular list.
LL
LL

·
Old school
14,411 Posts
Quote:

That sounds like it would work problem is i have no idea what that means im totally clueless with networking, i understand how to limit ip's and assign static IP but the mac address thing has me confused. is there a guide i can read like a hundred times?

The MAC adress is basically the address of the LAN card itself. Looks like Crazy9000 posted some good stuff

·
Fettered Firewall
2,491 Posts
Depends on your router firmware but *most* wireless routers have the ability to either PERMIT or DENY access based on a MAC address.

Every network card, wired or wireless, has a MAC address which is the card's unique (lets say unique) internal ID which identifies the manufacturer of the chipset and a unique portion for that specific card.

You would need to aquire the MAC Addresses of those devices and find them. Most of the custom firmware for routers (DD-WRT, Tomato, etc) all provide WFilters as well most will show you the MAC addresses of the devices connecting.

Once you have the wireless open, connect each device and ensure a connection and then copy down the MAC addresses. Ensure each is YOUR device and not someone else's and do a PERMIT ONLY these addresses.

It's not hard but it does take some understanding.

As you can see here in Tomato firmware it lists my wireless clients and all I would need to do is hit the WFilter link under each to setup a Wireless Filter on that specific MAC. Since I have PERMIT ONLY filter, it would then allow each listed, as I have an image on my prior post, to gain wireless access.
LL

·
Fettered Firewall
2,491 Posts
NP -- You'll figure her out. Again it's not hard but you have to basically specify everything. When it doubt you can revert settings and be no better than you are now but at least if you can't get something working your back to stock.

Off to work for a bit but I'll check in .. the first thing to determine is your wireless routers firmware. With that I and anyone else can provide you with more details on the specific settings you would need to set. Without it we are only guessing at what it supports and/or can provide you.

Good luke mate!

• Rep+
Reactions: SlicketyRickety

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ictinike View Post
NP -- You'll figure her out. Again it's not hard but you have to basically specify everything. When it doubt you can revert settings and be no better than you are now but at least if you can't get something working your back to stock.

Off to work for a bit but I'll check in .. the first thing to determine is your wireless routers firmware. With that I and anyone else can provide you with more details on the specific settings you would need to set. Without it we are only guessing at what it supports and/or can provide you.

Good luke mate!

Thanks my man.

·
Premium Member
2,443 Posts
Good job locking down your network! Now, for better reception, I would change your wireless channel to either 1 or 11 because most people use 6 (its the default for most router manufacturers) and that channel is quite congested, especially if there are other networks around you.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts