Overclock.net banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I apologize ahead of time if this is in the wrong forum section. I currently run a setup with a basic Nvidia EVGA 780 as my gpu. Tonight while playing Battlefront, the game began to stutter MASSIVELY during a game. Shortly after the stuttering began, I smelled a horrible acrid burning smell and immediately after that, the monitor went black, displayed the typical "no DVI signal detected", and remained black (this all occurred within a few seconds). I immediately cut power and took my side panel off. Nothing appeared out of place and nothing was on fire or anything crazy. I let things cool off for a while, re-attached my side panel, and powered up. Everything started as normal, all the lights came on as they usually do, I didn't get any error tones, but the monitor remained black the entire time as if no signal from the GPU was being received. I tried both output ports on the card but neither would work.

It seems to me like my card crapped out for some reason. I have no idea what the reason is or why that burning smell would occur but I'm writing this just to get some second opinions from people.

UPDATE: It's late and I'm tired so I'm not doing a lot of troubleshooting until the morning but I just went and sniffed my card (I currently have it disconnected from the system with the power off). It smells strongly of the same distinct odor I smelled during the initial problem. It's odd....I've never had any problems with this thing before. I'm not a "pro" builder so I'm not really sure what the cause of an issue like this is...is it an overheat or a power surge? I'm slightly confused and would appreciate some input from more experienced builders. I will be conducting more thorough troubleshooting in the daylight hours.

·
Web Developer
1,134 Posts
Hello. The GPU was probably faulty to begin with and it just gave away now. If it is still under warranty, you should take it back. If not, then bad luck.

To make sure tho, if you have any spare GPUs try and connect them and then check if the PC is running at all. Then you can go to the Event logger and check what happened when the PC turned off.

PS: Did you recently open up the card and removed the heatsink/fans etc to clean it?

Regards
Fedros

·
Overclocking is my game.
1,924 Posts
Yes, definitely RMA it if you can. It sounds like one of the VRM mosfets burnt up to me.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts