Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
have been debating on a netbook since christmas and these seem to be the frontrunners. being the previous owner of laptops, i miss being able to do my work wherever i want and as a college student in architecture, having a desktop away from studio is not exactly beneficial. I am on the lookout for something that is conveniently portable, moreso than my previous 15.4" models, that will still allow me to do some work on the go and in studio (word processing, small autocad and photoshop files, browsing the internet, hd movie playback, and maybe some light gaming)

these 3 netbooks if you could call them that seem to fit the bill. i am leaning towards the 1201n for its dual core atom and ion gpu. the hp is evenly priced and has better battery life, but a weaker processor, and given my last experience with hp and my dv6000 series laptop, i am hesitant to go to hp with my next purchase. (yes it was that bad) and the m11x is beautiful, of course, but im afraid it may be overkill and a bit too pricey for what i will be asking of it. yes it would be nice to play mw2, but i dont play it enough ,even on my desktop, to make it worth $300 more.

just wanted to get other peoples opinions on the matter and get some peoples personal feedback through experience or things they have heard. i am in no rush to get one, but it would be convenient.

also, after doing some research i have read about the ion 2 possibly coming out? anyone know when and what models i could expect to see it in?

thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,222 Posts
Depends really. I can only talk for the 1201N and the HP 311c.

The 1201n Has like you said the better processor. The secret thing about the HP311c
however is that people have created a custom bios that fully unlocks it's hardware for
overclocking. contrary to what you probably would believe, the Atom N270 is fairly punchy
when clocked up. I currently have mine running @ 2.2GHz on 2gb of DDR3 1066. It runs
Windows 7 Ultimate flawlessly. The ION graphics are also awesome with GPU accelerated
1080p and flash. As for as features per inch; The 311 beats the 1201n. Out of the box
power however the 1201n is the faster.I prefer the 311 over my 1201n though. It's
smaller and just as fast when overclocked, which i forgot to mention makes next to
no difference to battery life.

If you decide on the 311 you might want to get the Compaq Mini 311c-1101SA
It is exactly the same netbook - the HP badges and has the best spec for the $

P.S ION 2 is just an ION 1 with a higher clock and a DDR3 memory interface,
the performance difference is still limited by the current generation of Atom CPUs,
I wouldn't hold my breath.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,890 Posts
The weaker CPU in the 311 can be made up for by using this BIOS
http://myhpmini.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=3744

I'm running at 2.4ghz without issues, though most can only get 2.1-2.3 out of them. Unless you really need the extra power, I wouldn't bother with the M11x. I've been hearing that they have some rather annoying quality control issues with it as well.

Since the Atom 330 isn't going to make a huge difference in what you plan on doing with your netbook, I'd just grab a base 311, flash the BIOS and overclock it a bit and call it good!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
great. thanks guys. +rep for the both of u. i will look into the hp a bit more. given my past experience with hp i havent really looked at it much. im still a bit sour towards them.

i would have thought the asus would come with an overclocking feature as well, seeing as how it is asus, and other netbooks from them come with that feature as well.

after some more research, the m11x is out. pockets arent that deep....

only thing i have to worry about it cost. the asus and hp are pretty similar.
would ddr3 have much of a difference over ddr2?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,890 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by millerlite3421 View Post
only thing i have to worry about it cost. the asus and hp are pretty similar.
would ddr3 have much of a difference over ddr2?
Nothing that is really noticeable. The man difference between the 1201n and the Mini 311 is battery life. I can squeeze out ~6hrs out of my nearly 7 month old 311 and I've seen the 1201n barely get 4hrs at times. It really all depends if battery life really matters all that much to you or not.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
360 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zawarudo View Post
Depends really. I can only talk for the 1201N and the HP 311c.

The 1201n Has like you said the better processor. The secret thing about the HP311c
however is that people have created a custom bios that fully unlocks it's hardware for
overclocking. contrary to what you probably would believe, the Atom N270 is fairly punchy
when clocked up. I currently have mine running @ 2.2GHz on 2gb of DDR3 1066. It runs
Windows 7 Ultimate flawlessly. The ION graphics are also awesome with GPU accelerated
1080p and flash. As for as features per inch; The 311 beats the 1201n. Out of the box
power however the 1201n is the faster.I prefer the 311 over my 1201n though. It's
smaller and just as fast when overclocked, which i forgot to mention makes next to
no difference to battery life.

If you decide on the 311 you might want to get the Compaq Mini 311c-1101SA
It is exactly the same netbook - the HP badges and has the best spec for the $

P.S ION 2 is just an ION 1 with a higher clock and a DDR3 memory interface,
the performance difference is still limited by the current generation of Atom CPUs,
I wouldn't hold my breath.
Sorry for hijacking the thread, but where could I find or check out the Compaq 311? Sites?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,890 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by elo820 View Post
Sorry for hijacking the thread, but where could I find or check out the Compaq 311? Sites?
The HP Mini 311 is sold as a Compaq in Canada. Same computer in every way except the logo is changed from HP to Compaq
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
360 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by reberto View Post
The HP Mini 311 is sold as a Compaq in Canada. Same computer in every way except the logo is changed from HP to Compaq
So Where could I get the hp 311 for cheap? =P
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
246 Posts
i guess m11x would be the best investment you'll ever have. just try to makeways to get additional funds and you'll be very happy with the m11x. i have a ferrari one laptop and i have tried to work a light google sketch up pro project but it just plain useless. my m11x will be arriving next, i post some review if it will work flawlessly with sketchup demanding requirements.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top