Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Photo Dec 31, 8 43 46 PM.jpg 1185k .jpg file

I am currently running 2 Asus 6870 cards (reference series). As you can see in the picture I have included with this post, the cards are extremely close together. I cannot fit the second card in the bottom PCIe slot because I am running in a mid case (CM Sniper). Due to the close proximity of my cards, the top card runs at much higher temperatures. While gaming, I have to manually crank up the fan speed in CCC to avoid overheating the top card. This results in a very loud, and annoying computer. Because the cards have to stay in their current PCIe slots, I started looking for an aftermarket cooler that would move the heatsink away from the card. I stumbled on the Thermalright Spitfire. I think this would be the best solution for my needs.

I saw that this heatsink is not intended to be used on 6800 series cards. However, I have seen others use the Spitfire on their cards with success. It seems, according to Anandtech
that the VRM on the 6870 cannot be cooled with the small stick-on heatsinks that come with the Spitfire. Thermalright recommends the VRM-R5 heatsink for the 5870 (I can only assume this means that I would need a better sink for the VRAM on my 6870).
On to my questions:

1. Is the Spitfire the best solution to my problem?
2. Can I use the spitfire with the 6870?
3. What will I need to cool to cool the VRAM if I go with the Thermalright Spitfire?
4. Will the Thermalright VRM-R5 work with my Asus 6870?
I hope I have been clear enough for you to understand. Thank you so much for taking time to read my post.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
My suggestion? Sell your Sabertooth and get another mobo with better spacing. That way you're not really out much money, and you keep the reference coolers intact. I've had nothing but issues with aftermarket GPU coolers in the past as most have failed to cool the VRM's satisfactorily.

·
Premium Member
7,421 Posts
That board has a bad pci-e slot layout. Unless you go full water on the gpu's, I second the move to replace the board. this should do: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130500
Man, X58 boards are still very expensive. And most have that same tight pci-e slot placement. Idk if it's worth it to change the board unless you can find a cheap one. This might be a good time to move to sandy/ivy or one single strong gpu. Since it's the same as cf, maybe you should try selling your cards and get a 6870X2 or something.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by PureBlackFire View Post

That board has a bad pci-e slot layout. Unless you go full water on the gpu's, I second the move to replace the board. this should do: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130500
Man, X58 boards are still very expensive. And most have that same tight pci-e slot placement. Idk if it's worth it to change the board unless you can find a cheap one. This might be a good time to move to sandy/ivy or one single strong gpu. Since it's the same as cf, maybe you should try selling your cards and get a 6870X2 or something.
Come to think about it, I would probably replace the cards over the board. It took me countless hours to fit my watercooling rig into the case, I would have to completely remove the rad to uninstall the mobo. Any suggestions on a single card that would outperform or equally perform as well as my two 6870s?

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirb112 View Post

Come to think about it, I would probably replace the cards over the board. It took me countless hours to fit my watercooling rig into the case, I would have to completely remove the rad to uninstall the mobo. Any suggestions on a single card that would outperform or equally perform as well as my two 6870s?
I really don't see the main issue with replacing the board. Take the fans off your radiator and you should be good to go.

If, as you said, replacing the board is not an option and you're looking for a single card that performs "as well" as two 6870's, I would suggest either a 6870x2. Just so happens there is one in the OCN marketplace.

Powercolor 6870X2 - $280 Shipped

You should be able to get $280 out of your Asus cards easily.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by PureBlackFire View Post

Say I were to swap boards for the MBINTEL112118 referenced in your post. Does this board have and disadvantages from the sabertooth x58?

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirb112 View Post

Say I were to swap boards for the MBINTEL112118 referenced in your post. Does this board have and disadvantages from the sabertooth x58?
No, you would have a one slot space in between the cards instead of them being sandwiched.

Although $180 is STEEP! Sheesh!

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
keep the board its a good board, change your case. get a case with a side fan ... problem solved. many good cases with side fan for <$100

wait you have Cooler Master Storm Sniper? That should have a side fan already, I can't see why it isn't helping with your temperatures.

also no matter what you do unless u put the cards under water, your top card going to run 10C hotter than your bottom card. I had 6870s in CF before, and had a slot in between the cards, still the same issue, top card hotter than lower card. so as long as your temperatures are within limits and you aren't overheating / shutdown you got nothing to worry about

·
Premium Member
7,421 Posts
I can't say if the board slot spacing will solve your issue. When I ran 6870 cf, the two cards were very cool and had the same temps. Of course, I had them in the Silverstone RV02-EW case. All the heat was going straight up and out of the case. When I had cf/sli in my old thermalteke element g case, the two cards were also about the same. There was a difference of 3c in the top card. Again these cases cool better in general so maybe that's the biggest difference. Try changing your side fan and see if that helps.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts