Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil-Mobo View Post

Are they really releasing another board for the FX series because of delays with Zen?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132713

Anyone have more info on this? I don't even see it on the ASUS website......

Thanks
thumb.gif
ZEN is on the schedule that AMD has been talking about for months. These products have been in the pipeline for months. You don't stop delivering or updating your product line till you have new products that supersedes the older product.

·
Premium Member
2,753 Posts
It is a 6+2 design. Basically it is the same thing as M5A99X EVO R2.0, with some lipstick on it (and with different NB variant of course). It doesn´t support FX-9K CPUs (125W max).

·
Premium Member
2,753 Posts
Most likely it is just a mistake. The VRM is pretty much identical to M5A99X EVO R2.0 and the FX-9K CPUs are not supported on that either.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stilt View Post

It is a 6+2 design. Basically it is the same thing as M5A99X EVO R2.0, with some lipstick on it (and with different NB variant of course). It doesn´t support FX-9K CPUs (125W max).
It's 7+1 design. Also newer MOSFETs iirc.

Have the board in office, looking to take it for a spin soon.

·
Premium Member
2,753 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by massman View Post

It's 7+1 design. Also newer MOSFETs iirc.

Have the board in office, looking to take it for a spin soon.
I´m not complaining if that´s the case. Two phases for NB is never required on FX and til now that config has only been used due marketing and component availability reasons mostly. If you have the time, please take some photos showing the front and the back side of the naked board, VRM region to be specific
thumb.gif

·
Premium Member
889 Posts
Quote:

I´m not complaining if that´s the case. Two phases for NB is never required on FX and til now that config has only been used due marketing and component availability reasons mostly. If you have the time, please take some photos showing the front and the back side of the naked board, VRM region to be specific
thumb.gif
I can confirm the VRM is configured as 7+1, performance should be very similar to C5F-Z which is 8+2 (4+1 with doubling). MOSFETs are NTMFS4C09N + 2xNTMFS4C06N, which are essentially later revisions of NTMFS4955N and NTMFS4937N respectively. Chokes are same as Z170 M8 series.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Quote:

thumb.gif
Tried to make some quick pictures, let me know if you need higher-quality ones and I'll pull out the camera.

On the topic of the unnecessary "double phase for NB", it's pretty funny you mention that. I was told the 7+1 design was specifically chosen because "2 phases are not necessary for NB"
biggrin.gif

·
Premium Member
2,753 Posts
Those pictures are great, thanks
thumb.gif

Pleased to see IR GDs used once again and even in more advanced flavor (IR3535) than before too
wink.gif

·
Premium Member
2,753 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfamousTR View Post

Looking at that VRM, it appears that the 220W TDP cpu support listed on their site is no typo.
wink.gif
Yeah, it isn´t a typo after all
wink.gif

7+1 configuration is rather unusual and there is really no way to tell the difference between a 6+2 and 7+1 configuration just based on the looks of it. That´s why I expected it to be the common 6+2 configuration, since there is literally a single controller which even supports such configuration. Having an additional phase for the CPU will increase the VRM current capability by 20-25A, so it should make it significantly easier to run FX-9K CPUs on this platform.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Wondering why Asus is using the old AM3 cooler mounting frame instead of the newer AM3+ version. Maybe they found a huge pile of them in some dusty storage room. If I remember correctly, the AM3+ bracket was introduced to allow for better airflow to the vrm components when using a downdraft cooler.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts