Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
DIY Guy
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I have an old ASUS A6R laptop which had 512MB ram installed into it.
It's only used for communication, however, I recently got the thought of upgrading the memory on it so it would be faster.

After googling for the motherboard, all results reported that the motherboard supports up to 2 GB of memory with different combinations.

I went out and bought a 1GB DDR2-533 stick and installed it, although in Windows and in BIOS it reports that there's only 896 MB of memory installed (1024-128MB of the integrated graphics) so it seems like it's maxed out at just 1 GB. I tried upgrading the BIOS and switching the sticks, but there was no difference.

Any ideas how I should get it working with 1,5GB memory?

·
Premium Member
4,610 Posts
Some laptop motherboards only support matching sticks of ram. It sucks, but honestly it may not work unless you put another 1gb stick in.

Something to try, switch the sticks locations. Try the 512mb in one slot and then add in the 1gb stick. Then try just the 1gb stick and add the 512mb in. Kind of coercing it into recognizing the change might work especially if you can get a cmos reset.

·
DIY Guy
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChickenInferno View Post
Some laptop motherboards only support matching sticks of ram. It sucks, but honestly it may not work unless you put another 1gb stick in.
True. Reached 2gb now, thanks!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts