Overclock.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been hearing that the ASUS A8N with its SLI technology is going to have some problems being compatable with games. The only exceptions are DOOM 3, HL2, and well... more or less any game with Valve's Source engine. Are these rumors true?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Not true.

I play CS source a lot of the time with no probs at all.

Haven't come across a game it won't play yet.

This doesn't mean that I like the motherboard, I don't. It is a pig to set up and in my opinion has been released WAY too early. ASUS have a lot of issues to "iron-out" with this mobo.

Power is its biggest problem. Ignore what ASUS recommend, it needs more power. I have a 400w PSU with 17A on the 12v rail and I can only just run it with one of my 6600GT card,, 1 x HD and 1 x DVD writer. Put the second graphics card in and nothing happens.

Have just ordered a Tagan 480 PSU at another £70 on top of the £520 I have already spent. I'm not a happy bunny!!!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by d3_deeb

I've been hearing that the ASUS A8N with its SLI technology is going to have some problems being compatable with games. The only exceptions are DOOM 3, HL2, and well... more or less any game with Valve's Source engine. Are these rumors true?

Sorry, just re-read your thread.

The advantages of SLi will not work with every game. Some games will run slower if SLi is being used. Don't know why but just what I have read.

But this is not an ASUS issue, just a SLi issue in general.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I dunno... ive been saving up for the A8N for my killer rig... this is really confusing! i might consider getting an Intel Mobo since there are so many problems with Nf4 motherboards!

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Bawsack

Not true.

I play CS source a lot of the time with no probs at all.

Haven't come across a game it won't play yet.

This doesn't mean that I like the motherboard, I don't. It is a pig to set up and in my opinion has been released WAY too early. ASUS have a lot of issues to "iron-out" with this mobo.

Power is its biggest problem. Ignore what ASUS recommend, it needs more power. I have a 400w PSU with 17A on the 12v rail and I can only just run it with one of my 6600GT card,, 1 x HD and 1 x DVD writer. Put the second graphics card in and nothing happens.

Have just ordered a Tagan 480 PSU at another £70 on top of the £520 I have already spent. I'm not a happy bunny!!!

u have only 17 A on 12rail? no wonder. U need to have a leat 28A on 12v rail to have sufficient power.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by d3_deeb

I dunno... ive been saving up for the A8N for my killer rig... this is really confusing! i might consider getting an Intel Mobo since there are so many problems with Nf4 motherboards!

intel mobo
u r kidding rite? those mobo suckS!!! u cant even oc with that.
Get A8N SLI. the other guy is having lots of problem buz of his 12v rail. he doesnt have enough juice. there should be at least 28A on 12v rail. If u have a good PSU u r good.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah but what about the 4 pin connectors? I wanna totally load my pc with HD's, Optical drives, and neons! and when i said Intel motherboards... I meant motherboards with an Intel Chipset, not the actual motherboard... The new ASUS Intel motherboard is a killer at OC, with Dynamic OC and other cool features.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by hanwinting

u have only 17 A on 12rail? no wonder. U need to have a leat 28A on 12v rail to have sufficient power.

Sorry but you are wrong.

ASUS recommend 350w with 17a on the 12v rail to run my set up, its even in the manual. The thing is I only have a 3200, 0 x PCI cards & 1 x USB printer and it is struggling. And I still can't install my other 6600GT.

They Quote :

Loading Light
A64 3400+
6600GT x 2
DDR Dimms x 2
HDD x 2
Optical Drive x 1
PCI x 1
USB x 3
requires +12v current > 17a
Required Wattage > 350w

·
Registered
101 Posts
Quote:

you have the same m/b as me what is the best psu to get please help

·
Registered
101 Posts
Quote:

the best PSU is Antec Neopower 480W. VEry stable!!!

is 480w the highest you can get

·
Registered
130 Posts
From what I have read one of the best PSU to get is the Tagan TG480-U01 480W ATX2.0 Silent PSU.

This one is supposed to be able to even run the SLi Deluxe with 2 x 6800 Ultras and still be stable.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How bout the X-connect 500watt PSU?

·
Banned
2,222 Posts
for the gut guzzlers out there the PSUs to have are the antec neopower, Tagan 480w, OCZ 520w (unless u got deeeeeeeeeeeep pockets for the 600w) and the Hiper Type R 480w (yes it will cope well)

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts