Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If this is the wrong board, I appologize in advance, kinda new to these parts.

I just recently built my first PC from ground up. It wasnt pretty and wasnt anything spectacular (only around $900 spent) but its a lot better than my old POS

Well I am having trouble connecting to my cable internet using the onboard net adapter. I made sure to load the board drivers, made sure TCP/IP protocol was installed, also made sure that my DNS and IP numbers were set to check automatically.

I had a lot of trouble with my previous Asus board setting up the internet, they just seem to enjoy giving me a hard time

Any suggestions, or noob comments are welcome! And thanks for the help!

·
Registered
661 Posts
You can try to put in a different Nic (Ethernet adapter) in ur pci slot and see if that one works... I have a p4p800e with a gigabit onboard lan and it mess around with me too. my msn wouldnt sign, and i tried formatting and everything and then i tried changing to a pci network card and it worked

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I may have to do that, but I have a feeling I am just doing something wrong and noobish in setting up the network connection :|

Not too keen on spending any more green, especially with valentine's day right around the corner :x

Ah well, a geeks gotta do what a geeks gotta do right?

·
Registered
661 Posts
Try and fill out your specs in USER CP at the top of the page..

If you're running Xp, you shouldn't have to configure any of that stuff. If you're using a router you just plug it in, run the network configuration and it should work...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well when you say network configuration, what exactly do you mean? The Internet Connect wizard? Because that thing sucks, doesnt really help me accomplish anything unless im missing something.

Yeah, like I said pretty new to this stuff

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
See i think my problem is that I dont have the 1394 connection, I just have the one from my mobo. I have the 1394 on this pc which has an Asus board as well and it works fine.

The New Connection wizard doesnt really help, at least I cant get it to. Mind posting the steps you would chose to set it up?

·
Registered
661 Posts
lols, you dont need a a 1394, thats just Firewire. Its under network connections because you can hook up 2 computers to make a 2 computer Lan..

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well the Network Connection wizard isnt of any help at all, just basically tells me to "use the cd my isp gave me" and every other option I tried (tried them all) dont work.

The difference, I noticed, between my network connection on this pc and the one on my new one is that when I right click my working connection and click status->details that all of the fields are filled up. Wish I could take screenshots from the new pc to show which ones arent.

But on the working connection next to Address Type: it says "Assigned by DHCP"

On the new pc it just says something like "Private Address Assigned"

Also on the working one it lists a Subnet Mask and Default Gateway number while the new pc it doesnt.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thinking I am just gonna call comcast tommorow...I think that may work it out, they usually can just send some little "zap" that makes it work

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Not at all, well it will receive like a few packets usually (which means it was at least connected for a second wasnt it?) but never long enough for me to even open IE or anything

·
Registered
30 Posts
Can you ping it, or even get a ip address if you iprenew in command prompt. If you get zeros, a restart will fix you up. If everything is working, the dhcp should hand out an ip address.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
See, when I look at the Adress Type on the new pc, instead of saying its supplied by the DHCP, it says Automatic Private Address.

And what is the command to use in prompt for iprenew? Just typing iprenew didnt work for me

I also tried just copying the IP#, DNS#'s and everything else from my working pc to the new one but that didnt work

·
Registered
30 Posts
The command is Ipconfig to check the address, ipconfig /release to kill the old one and ipconfig/renew to get new. If zero come up, you may have to restart it. I think to ping you just need to type ping (ip here) from a different computer on the same network.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Will check it tommorow as well as see if comcast can do something.

As I said, the DHCP isnt giving me anything so any ideas on how to set it so it does are welcome
Or is this a strictly ISP problem?

Oh, and thanks for the help bro!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well I did ipconfig /release and then /renew and it took about 5 minutes and then said "Could not connect to DHCP, request timed out"

I think that just means its time to call my ISP? They control that dont they?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts