Premium Member
10,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an Asus A8N-E board that fails to post. The components in it are:
Athlon FX-53
Generic 256mb stick of ram I know is working
Sapphire x1950xt I know is working
650W BFG PSU I know is working

I bought a pci diagnostics card and when I use it the post code is 00 which means "Code copying to specific areas is done. Passing control to INT 19h boot loader next." Is the board or cpu bad? I have tried to clear cmos already many times.

·
Premium Member
10,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No hdd connected. Does it even need one to initiate POST?
Oh and this board failed on my friend about 2 years ago. I'm just seeing if any of the parts are still good.

·
News Junkie
8,232 Posts
no posting is commonly a grounding issue. Aftermarket cooler?

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Lolz. I got the same board on sale.
Er.. VERY very hard for the CPu to die. However, I know this board wants ram on slot 1 all the time. Have you tried a cmos reset? Are you turning it on using the contacts on the motherboard and not the green to black paperclip trick?

Also, check your case button. Sometimes you might think its the mobo but the it can be the button thats fried.

·
Premium Member
10,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Newbie2009
View Post

no posting is commonly a grounding issue. Aftermarket cooler?

This Gigabyte one. What do you mean a grounding issue?

·
Premium Member
10,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Weedvender
View Post

Lolz. I got the same board on sale.
Er.. VERY very hard for the CPu to die. However, I know this board wants ram on slot 1 all the time. Have you tried a cmos reset? Are you turning it on using the contacts on the motherboard and not the green to black paperclip trick?

Also, check your case button. Sometimes you might think its the mobo but the it can be the button thats fried.

Ram is in the slot closest to CPU and has been tried in the furthest with no luck. CMOS reset has been tried. It is running caseless and I'm turning it on with a flathead screwdriver.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dopamin3
View Post

Ram is in the slot closest to CPU and has been tried in the furthest with no luck. CMOS reset has been tried. It is running caseless and I'm turning it on with a flathead screwdriver.

Uhuh. How are your 24 pin contacts? All clean?

·
Premium Member
10,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

View Post

Uhuh. How are your 24 pin contacts? All clean?

Yes. The only thing physically wrong with the board is one side of a IDE slot is snapped off. But he ran the board fine with it like that until one day it decided it wouldn't post so he put it in his closet for 2 years, and now i have the board.

·
Premium Member
10,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:

View Post

Have you tested the battery then? Thats a long time to go without a charge.

I will test that next. The thing is though is that this happened 2 years ago. So I doubt the battery just up and quit working after a few months use. One thing I did notice is that the cpu had a small amount of thermal paste on the bottom of it, it was barely on one side of the pins. I tried to remove it the best I could without bending the pins. Maybe cpu bad?

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dopamin3 View Post
I will test that next. The thing is though is that this happened 2 years ago. So I doubt the battery just up and quit working after a few months use. One thing I did notice is that the cpu had a small amount of thermal paste on the bottom of it, it was barely on one side of the pins. I tried to remove it the best I could without bending the pins. Maybe cpu bad?
Dunno. But grab a sock 939 and test it out.

·
News Junkie
8,232 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dopamin3
View Post

This Gigabyte one. What do you mean a grounding issue?

As the standard am2 clips are plastic, sometimes there can be grounding issues when putting metal pins through the holes.(sometimes)

Try putting washers between the board and the connectors.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Newbie2009 View Post
As the standard am2 clips are plastic, sometimes there can be grounding issues when putting metal pins through the holes.(sometimes)

Try putting washers between the board and the connectors.
But there shouldn't be any electricity running through there anyway. I sure as heck wouldn't want a voltage difference on top of my processor.

·
News Junkie
8,232 Posts
It is a common enough oversight when people fit water cooling & aftermarket air coolers.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts