Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I just picked up an Opteron 165 and an ASUS A8N32-SLI Motherboard last night off MonarchComputer.com while the prices were way down ($265 for the chip!).

Just wondering what the best OCing ram is for this setup... I'd like to spend no more than $160 per 2x512mb set... any suggestions?

I've heard the G.Skill TCCD Extreme Series is the way to go for DFI's UT, but I want to make sure there won't be any "hiccups" on this new ASUS.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231035

Anyone have any suggestions.

• Rep+
Reactions: graffittisk8er

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
GEiL ONE TCCD IMO is one of the best....G.Skill makes great ram too. I think that corsair TWINX is overrated as is OCZ ram....i like these (relatively) new companies

·
Registered
161 Posts
Not sure if this helps, but I was told the same thing by the G. Skill Rep who was kind enough to talk to me over MSN : that that 'Asus A8N32-SLI doesn't like G.Skill RAM'. However, he WAS talking about the HZ series 2x 1GB.

That said, I am very satisfied with the board, and would wager that it will run anything you want. It is rock-solid.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys,

Given what I've read about the ASUS A8N32-SLI board and it's stabilty I decided to purchase the 2x512mb GSkill Extreme from NewEgg.com.

The price was good... I've heard it overclocks incredibly well... And I'm just plain psyched to have this new system together with some high qualilty stuff.

Once those new NVidia cards come out and the price drops on the current one I'll be picking up the rest of my setup. At that time I'll snag an OCZ PowerStream 520w, Thermaltake Armor Full Tower, and a second 7800GT CO.

As of today I officially own:

ASUS A8N32-SLI 939
AMD Opteron 165 Toledo 1.8ghz Dual-Core
1GB (2x512mb) GSkill Extreme in Dual Channel
1 x eVGA GeForce 7800GT CO 470/1100
300GB Maxtor 7200rpm IDE

So excited for this new setup.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Well I hope for you you will be luckier than me because i cant get my rams to work properply on my board, and afaik the A8N-e has exactly the same chipset etc as the sli version of the board. My rams are the f1-3200dsu2-1gble, im now trying a new bios (1010). But with my old rams i can get my system stable at 2500mhz and i cant archieve this with gskill ones

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmmm... I read today that the 1010 bios is supposed to fix a number of the memory incompatabilities that people are having... We'll see.

·
Premium Member
2,485 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by AlienGamerLT

AMD Opteron 165 Toledo 1.8ghz Dual-Core

Just for the future, you have a Denmark, not a Toledo.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by AlienGamerLT

Hmmm... I read today that the 1010 bios is supposed to fix a number of the memory incompatabilities that people are having... We'll see.

Well I hope so, as soon as prime crashes I will post about it. I hope that prime will run fine the whole week then i can truly say my system is stable.

·
Premium Member
20,315 Posts
Its a great board. I'm running it with the Corsair TwinX XL Series that runs 2-2-2-5 Stock. Dead stable.

·
Premium Member
10,655 Posts
You'll like that g.skill RAM. TCCD oc's quite nicely. it will typically do DDR500 at 2.5-3-3-7 and DR600 at 2.5-4-4-8. all at around 2.8v

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sun

Just for the future, you have a Denmark, not a Toledo.

Ah... everyone I've seen running CPUz has it listed as a Toledo core. Didn't realize that was an error on CPUz's part.

Solo, the ram got delivered today and the rest of it should be delivered tomorrow. My friend has nearly the EXACT same setup and he's easily hitting 280fsb right now at 2-2-2-5 2.7v... If he gets any prime errors I'll have him open it to 2.5-3-3-7...

This GSkill is great... I'm just so psyched to finally have a nice system setup and inevitably (in the next month) and SLI setup.

• Rep+
Reactions: graffittisk8er

·
Banned
218 Posts
well I hope you like that ram cause I was on newegg.com searching for it (I bought it too) and I dont think they carry it anymore. even the link you posted doesnt show the actual item. Anyways I will be getting mine sometime soon but I already heard I can get I can get some crazy timings

1 - 12 of 12 Posts