Overclock.net banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Mining the DB
2,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
Please help. I have a problem with my ARES. What happend was i left my PC on over night and when i came to it this morning it had frozen. I thought it was funny but didnt think much of it, until i restarted, which as it was about to finish loading windows and show the startup screen, It froze. This happened literally as the windows7 loading screen flashes and is about to go to the welocme screen, mouse lights just came on and keyboards. but the nothing. After waiting 10 minutes still nothing. I was running a modified windows 7 ATI version, and though it might be that, i then put in a drive i had with a modified windows 7 Nvidia version, and booted fine, installed the drivers (11.6, x64), and it prompted for a reboot, which then got stuck at the exact same point. After that i though it could be the modified windows version, so i went and have installed standard windows 7 x64 build 7600. This is now doing the exact same thing as well. Installation goes fine, first boot up is perfect, its after i install the drivers for it. Safe mode works fine. I have also tried ATI driver version 10.8, but no luck there. I have tried swapping RAM around and no luck there either. Anybody have any ideas as to why its doing this? Everything is running at stock, on my sig rig.

I can try swapping CPU or Mobo but i doubt its to do with those (although i could be wrong).

Thanks
+rep to any decent suggestions.

·
Premium Member
10,871 Posts
Sounds like a problem with the 5970. If you think about it, it boots and works fine as long as no video drivers are installed. Once you install drivers and the card is actually going into the proper clocks/voltage it should be at then it freezes at the Windows screen. Test it with another GPU to see if the problem persists. I have a feeling it's the 5970

·
Mining the DB
2,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Sounds like a problem with the 5970. If you think about it, it boots and works fine as long as no video drivers are installed. Once you install drivers and the card is actually going into the proper clocks/voltage it should be at then it freezes at the Windows screen

True, Could be. Unfortunately i dont have another GPU to test it with. Going to try the other Mobo as a friend says it maybe dirt or corrosion in the PCI-E slot.

·
Mining the DB
2,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok well it looks like its the card. Thats the 3rd ARES that ive had issues with in 1 week. Holly #%&, what are the chances. Ok so the 1st one overheated (fan got caught in a wire and i never noticed until i was getting weird issues in windows, turns out the memory was damaged, the second was last night, something blew, completely not my fault, and now this. W*F....

I might try a windows XP installation later if i have time. See if that works.

·
Registered
982 Posts
You could always try them in another computer.

·
Premium Member
10,871 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SystemTech
View Post

Ok well it looks like its the card. Thats the 3rd ARES that ive had issues with in 1 week. Holly #%&, what are the chances. Ok so the 1st one overheated (fan got caught in a wire and i never noticed until i was getting weird issues in windows, turns out the memory was damaged, the second was last night, something blew, completely not my fault, and now this. W*F....

I might try a windows XP installation later if i have time. See if that works.

That sucks. I would try to do another RMA, but this time maybe try for a 6970 or reference 5970 because it seems like all the ARES cards still in the market are crap (refurb maybe?).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts