Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i am rocking the latest bios (1701 i think) for my CHVF mobo and i am wanting to know if anyone has tried using the bios from the CHVF-Z mobo on theirs with any success? My mobo is the original and the last bios update was in 2012 when they dropped the Z variant which as far as i can tell is the same board with a few little tweaks and a "WINDOWS 8 READY" sticker slapped on the box. The Z bios was updated earlier this year and i was just wondering if anyone had given it a shot or if AMD said it was cool or not. Thanks

·
Registered
312 Posts
considering you are using the 1100t with this motherboard i cant see any benfit in changing the bios. i have not heard of anyone doing this and would not recommend trying it. most of the changes on the z variant are ram and power circuit changes. as you havent mentioned any issues with your 290 and are using win 7 i would leave it as is. i have used both boards and in my personal opinion the chvf is better for cpu clocking and the chvfz is better for ram clocking. both boards will run all fx cpus up to the 9590 and i expect the newer 8 series will be good also. i would be very surprised and interested to hear of anyone who has updated to the z bios successfully. hope this helps ease your mind

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea thanks for the help... btw i forgot to update my rig... some of my pics are old too... Same setup but i actually dropped a fx-8350 in it a long while back... but still probably doesnt change much...

just REALLY want to hit 5Ghz stable on the cpu... been a long time goal. Had it at like 95% stable with 4.7Ghz for a long while but could never get it up. Plus my ram is set native to 2133Mhz so i keep the fsb up anyways to hold the ram their. I am pretty sure i have to cooling capabilities just not sure how to get it to stay happy an stable.

Let alone i do not have like 10 hours to dedicate to the overclocking either

·
Registered
312 Posts
you will get better clocks on this board with the 8350 but i can say most of them are not that easy to get to 2133 with four dims. there is a kind of wall around 4.7 as most chips require a big cpuvolt bump to get over it and run quite hot as a result particularly if your cooling isnt up to it. have a go at the 5ghz again with ram at 1866 with 2 dimms - from experience it is less complicated.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will give that a try but i am running a 240mm rad all-in-one loops so i am not really sure what my max ceiling is as way of cpu voltage but your right about that 4.7Ghz. Like i said it was mostly stable their.

One other question if i may, So like i said i ran that 4.7 stable for a long while with all 4 dimms running 2133 with a tiny touch OV on the ram. But when i dropped my 2x HD6950's for a single R9-290X all of the sudden my 4.7 is super unstable now.

I am very curious on if my 1000W psu might not be enough. This pig of a gpu might be needing more. I was looking on newegg and the wattage calc said i should be at like 1215W... Idk, might be my problem.

·
Registered
312 Posts
fx is a power guzzler when oc'd. use the extra 4pin power if your psu has it available. get a watt meter so you can monitor what your psu is pulling from the wall socket - they are relatively cheap. clean power from a quality psu makes a big difference. running some 3dm11 benches i watched the watt meter get past 1400 on just one 1200w psu - i was fortunate that the antec 1200w psu was reduced in price heavily when purchasing components for my oc bench so i got two - mainly for oc'ing fx-9590 past 5ghz but also to supply enough for quad 580's at the high amps required. i went with 1.5v dominator and have not had to add voltage until above 2250mhz. made a couple of bench runs @ 2400 but not much gained performance wise considering i had to drop off 150mhz from 5.3ghz to get there. unsure about running the amd cards when it comes to power and heat as i have always stuck with the green team. i do suspect your psu will be the limiting factor if you are oc'ing both. four dimms @ 2133 is a lot of stress for the fx imc which is why i suggested going back to 2 dimms @1866 or even try 4 @ 1600 untill your cpu oc is happy before pushing the ram. oh and stick a fan over your vrm heatsink it will make a big difference. if possible get some air circulation behind the cpu socket on the motherboard aswell. temps are very unforgiving after and beyond 4.8ghz.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts