Overclock.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I'm expecting my board to show up today... I'm replacing this MSI 890FXA-GD70...



Probly start tomorrow

Update:



ok but i have a problem with my r9 290 not being recognized by the mobo any ideas?

Update: Stock test... and I have put a new R9 290 in



OVERCLOCKING:








 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
U will LOVE this mobo, I just got one myself... Read my article about 5.5ghz stable with fx8350 and stock cooling...its a very versatile board with a very user friendly bios and more features than u will use...enjoy!
 

·
Missing friends
Joined
·
15,996 Posts
the mobo could, that user not so much ....

@ candyman let me know if you have any questions
 
  • Rep+
Reactions: Candyman315

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,987 Posts
That's a nice board. I used to have one, the chip I used was a Phenom II X4 980. Top bin of those phenom quad cores. Man those were good times. Should have just held on to that gear. I haven't seen a Phenom II X4 980 come up for sale since then.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mega Man View Post

the mobo could, that user not so much ....

@ candyman let me know if you have any questions
no joke he's a moron... i dont know if i want to OC... have to get it all working right first
Quote:
Originally Posted by iinversion View Post

Yup that mobo does 5.5GHz all dayyyy longggggggggg.
rolleyes.gif


No but really you will like it. Can't get much better than that board.
and 5ghz aint gonna happen let alone 5.5 i like my money... errr uh chip
wink.gif


as for the board it looks awesome
biggrin.gif
... little weird using a mouse in BIOS :\ not a bad weird
thumb.gif
.... windows is still windows lol... dont know if the card died or just hasnt been seen by the board BIOS... all the fans and the XFX led comes on... it gets power...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,987 Posts
I know it sounds unrelated but try updating the BIOS. Since that board did come out a while ago, there's a chance the 290 is much newer than the BIOS version on that motherboard. I would try that first, then we can go down the list and figure this thing out!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,819 Posts
Man, I hope you get it all going!!

I can't wait to see how the board works out for you....
Curious to see if it nets you any more overclock out of the thuban.

How far were you able to push it stable on your old board?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,025 Posts
I don't know if a old BIOS will limit what kind of GPU you can use in a computer. I don't have cold hard facts so I won't say I'm sure about it though. Is this R9 290 new? Have you successfully tested it on another system? I would suggest trying to plug it in a different PCIE X16 slot. As long as both motherboard and gpu is in working condition it's probably a small mistake like not seating the GPU all the way or forgetting/not plugging in the 6/8 pin power to the GPU from the PSU. Those connectors may not be inserted all the way at the GPU or the PSU end. I was going to say maybe it's sending video through the IGP but I believe the CHVF-Z does not have an IGP.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,987 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xKrNMBoYx View Post

I don't know if a old BIOS will limit what kind of GPU you can use in a computer. I don't have cold hard facts so I won't say I'm sure about it though. Is this R9 290 new? Have you successfully tested it on another system? I would suggest trying to plug it in a different PCIE X16 slot. As long as both motherboard and gpu is in working condition it's probably a small mistake like not seating the GPU all the way or forgetting/not plugging in the 6/8 pin power to the GPU from the PSU. Those connectors may not be inserted all the way at the GPU or the PSU end. I was going to say maybe it's sending video through the IGP but I believe the CHVF-Z does not have an IGP.
It's worked for me a few times. In fact, one of the times it was when I bought a R9 290 reference card when they first came out, and I got no display, I was stumped, I updated the BIOS on my MSI Z77 MPOWER and it worked fine! So it might not fix your problem, but I would try it because it has worked for me in the past, more than once.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stickg1 View Post

It's worked for me a few times. In fact, one of the times it was when I bought a R9 290 reference card when they first came out, and I got no display, I was stumped, I updated the BIOS on my MSI Z77 MPOWER and it worked fine! So it might not fix your problem, but I would try it because it has worked for me in the past, more than once.
Sounds good. It's usually good to have the latest BIOS update (although risks of something going wrong if done wrong or an accidental power outage/etc). My CHVF-Z was on BIOS 1503 or something like that when BIOS 2101 or something around there was the newest so I updated it. Hopefully Candyman315 can find a solution.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candyman315 View Post

my bios is 2101 from factory.... the card does not work in the other computer now either.... its dead.. RMA time... sorry its taken so long ive been workin long days
Sorry to hear that. Hope you get a replacement smoothly
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Smith1984 View Post

Man, I hope you get it all going!!

I can't wait to see how the board works out for you....
Curious to see if it nets you any more overclock out of the thuban.

How far were you able to push it stable on your old board?
i never did any OCing on the other board... it throttled at stock.. i'm glad it never caught fire i undervolted a tad just to keep it from doing that... had it running at 2.8

Also: started the RMA process... only took three days to get a reply to my ticket :\
stun.gif
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
504 Posts
Man that sucks! We have the same MoBo and CPU. I actually just rebuilt mine over Christmas with the new board and some other goodies. From my old Asus M5A97 R1.0 to the CHVZ I was able to OC the 1100T from 3.7ghz to 4.0ghz.. The old board was only able to handle the 3.7ghz OC for less than a year before it started to randomly blue screen or reboot. It was only a 4+2 phase VRM (though it did have a heatsink on the VRM) so no huge surprise. But I can tell you, the CHVZ has a TON of advanced options! Holy crap! Hope you get it all sorted out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Does it look good so far? All I've done is raise LLC and upped voltage.. 10 hour stable prime95 with 96% ram usage. Temps max was 54C average of about 49 - 50C. I did 4 runs of realbench straight and 5 15 min stresses in a row. now the RB stresses passed but there was a halt too. I'm a little confused there. Sooo.... then I ran prime95 all night with memory tests too at 30gb memory usage. its still going now. 10.5hrs as of this post
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top