Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Thermaltake tower 900 amd ryzen 9
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A question for a bit of advice having got and had to replace my motherboard i thought i would go with the crosshair viii formula,a bit of advice though would be appreciated,it has the ek crosschill for the vram/mossfets included with this board would you cool the vram/mossfets block with a separate loop,radiator etc or as ive seen it done from pictures would you run it as cpu out to vram in then around the radiators and loop etc.
Basically would it be better cooled on its own or added to the existing loop.
Any help with this would be appreciated.

·
Iconoclast
30,995 Posts
It would probably be marginally better cooled by it's own loop, even a modest one, and this would also keep the primary loop from having to deal with the added restriction (which won't be a lot, admittedly). It's not going to hurt to connect it to the main loop.

However, I wouldn't recommend connecting it at all, unless you are doing some fairly extreme overclocking. You aren't going to be pushing the limit of the VRM or even passive air cooled VRM cooling, with any AM4 processor on water. The VRM on this board is overkill to a comical degree...960A of rated current capacity. You could run this VRM bare, no heatsink at all, with the highest OC you could make stable on a 16-core part on good water and it wouldn't get hot enough to matter. The watercooling option is mostly for show.

• Rep+
Reactions: GMdoghunter

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It would probably be marginally better cooled by it's own loop, even a modest one, and this would also keep the primary loop from having to deal with the added restriction (which won't be a lot, admittedly). It's not going to hurt to connect it to the main loop.

However, I wouldn't recommend connecting it at all, unless you are doing some fairly extreme overclocking. You aren't going to be pushing the limit of the VRM or even passive air cooled VRM cooling, with any AM4 processor on water. The VRM on this board is overkill to a comical degree...960A of rated current capacity. You could run this VRM bare, no heatsink at all, with the highest OC you could make stable on a 16-core part on good water and it wouldn't get hot enough to matter. The watercooling option is mostly for show.
excellent thank you for the advice,nit going to do extreme overclocking with this one its actually my second build im doing with the same case themaltake tower 900,built one for my daughter,now time for one for myself and i bought this board to go in,excellent thank you most kindly for the advice.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I have an older model formula mobo and the only problem I had including the Crosschill was flow, I had to add a 2nd D5 pump to maintain the recommended 1 US GPM.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Excellent advice thanks again I've done many water-cooling setups but there is always one that seems to get you puzzled this is definitely that one thanks again for your help

1 - 5 of 5 Posts