Overclock.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My graphic card is really weird nowadays, when I play for example GTA san andreas and SC2 weird kind of lines keep flashing in my screen. But in other games like in SC1 and CS it works just fine. Does anyone know what is going on here :O

That is not screenshot cause for some reason the screenshot couldnt be taken, but that what I drew with photoshop.

thanks

·
Premium Member
14,339 Posts
How long ago did you buy this 8600GT? It could be on its last legs or there could be some other problem. Try downloading HWMonitor. It will keep track of all your temps and max and min temps as well. Then play a game until your card starts to artifact like that. When you exit, you will be able to see how hot the card is getting.

I used to have an Asus 8600GT and mine had the passive cooler. Do you have a link or model number to the exact version of the card? If it is the passive cooler, you probably need either a fan on it or much better case airflow. The 8600GT isn't exactly an enthusiast gaming card but it does decently at smaller resolutions.

If you would be so kind, also fill in your system specs here so they appear in your signature.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by IEATFISH
View Post

How long ago did you buy this 8600GT? It could be on its last legs or there could be some other problem. Try downloading HWMonitor. It will keep track of all your temps and max and min temps as well. Then play a game until your card starts to artifact like that. When you exit, you will be able to see how hot the card is getting.

I used to have an Asus 8600GT and mine had the passive cooler. Do you have a link or model number to the exact version of the card? If it is the passive cooler, you probably need either a fan on it or much better case airflow. The 8600GT isn't exactly an enthusiast gaming card but it does decently at smaller resolutions.

If you would be so kind, also fill in your system specs here so they appear in your signature.

here's the one im talking about, I also haven't been overclocking my graphic card it's maybe 2-3 years old.
http://www.ozone3d.net/gpu/images/as..._8600gt_02.jpg

·
Premium Member
14,339 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mehm3d
View Post

here's the one im talking about, I also haven't been overclocking my graphic card it's maybe 2-3 years old.
http://www.ozone3d.net/gpu/images/as..._8600gt_02.jpg

That is the same one I had. I'd bet it is a temperature issue. Get that HWMonitor program I linked. What case do you have? If you have a spare 80mm fan you could zip-tie it to the heatsink. But let's figure out how high your temps are getting first.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

View Post

That is the same one I had. I'd bet it is a temperature issue. Get that HWMonitor program I linked. What case do you have? If you have a spare 80mm fan you could zip-tie it to the heatsink. But let's figure out how high your temps are getting first.

and btw Antek SLK 430W is the case

·
Premium Member
14,325 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Alright, so leave that running and fire up SC2 or GTA. How long does it usually take before those artifacts show up? Or you could just download Furmark...but I'm pretty sure the game will get it plenty hot.

I have this card too, it gets up to 203 F under load lol.. It gets toasty.

·
Premium Member
14,325 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Yeah, I think a simple zip-tied fan would help a LOT. I liked the card before I got my 4850.

I dont use it anymore, I got an 8800gt in that rig now.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:

View Post

Alright, so leave that running and fire up SC2 or GTA. How long does it usually take before those artifacts show up? Or you could just download Furmark...but I'm pretty sure the game will get it plenty hot.

It shows up immidiately when I open the game. But it gets usually worse after playing for 5 mins or so.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:

Originally Posted by IEATFISH View Post
Do you by chance have an extra fan laying around? Also, do you have a budget for a new card?
What do you mean with "an extra fan laying around". I've been actually thinking to buy another motherboard+processor+videocard. But I dont need better videocard atm, I used to be able to play all games I wanted with this card.

·
Premium Member
14,339 Posts
Well, I'm 87% positive your card is overheating. Whether or not it has any permanent damage is up in the air until we have a way to cool it down. An extra case fan could be zip tied on to the heatsink to force air across it and lower the temps. But I wouldn't buy one just for that purpose. With the games you play, a new graphics card would most likely help you a lot. But without the rest of your system specs, that is just speculation.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts