Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone.

So my colleague jokingly got into cpypto mining last year and bought himself GTX1070 and PSU.
Now he says he'd sell it to me for 200€, that's basically what he needs to get even from his initial investment.

Now, I was really eagerly waiting for this moment but now I remember he did not lower the voltage on the card, just straight up OCed it to max for mining.
However, the card was in closed room with 24/7 AC at roughly 24°C. It was mining now for about 6 months.

Is such 1070 worth 200€? My initial plans were to buy 1070 Ti or Vega 56 but I was too late with my decisions and prices skyrocketed.

Thoughts?

Thanks

·
Registered
481 Posts
200 Euro for a 1070 is a pretty good deal, regardless of whether the card has been mined on.

See if he can let you test the card out, run some tests, check thermals, reapply TIM and then make your decision. But i'd say thats a gamble worth taking as the going rate for a 1070 is roughly double that now.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Agreed its pretty good deal overall right now, but from the looks of it, the GPU market might stabilise this year, and I'd rather have new GPU.

What test should I run? Card never exceeded 61°C and usually sits at 57°C. Won't tearing the cooler down to re-apply TIM break warranty?

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Agreed its pretty good deal overall right now, but from the looks of it, the GPU market might stabilise this year, and I'd rather have new GPU.

What test should I run? Card never exceeded 61°C and usually sits at 57°C. Won't tearing the cooler down to re-apply TIM break warranty?
Changing TIM voids the warranty on an Asus card as you'll have to remove a sticker to do it.

If the card never broke 61C then you have nothing to worry about. The undervolting argument from most miners is to prove they didn't get the thing too hot. Folders run full power 24x7 for years and cards are fine, the key is temperature.

Pricing will never recover due to RAM. Retail price is probably 75-100 higher for the next year or two. I'd jump on this one if I were you.

·
Mining the DB
2,333 Posts
Which ASUS 1070 is it. I have 4 of the OC editions mining and they are great cards etc but the one issue i have with them, is that the RAM is not cooled. There are no heatsinks or heatpipes etc.
It means the RAM may have run hotter than otherwise "normal" conditions because mining really hammers the RAM on GPU's for most coins.
That would be my only concern with it. The Core might have never gone above 61, but what about the memory if it is not cooled.

I its one of the versions where the memory is cooled, then its a GREAT deal. Also means you will have a few years of the card under warranty to :)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Changing TIM voids the warranty on an Asus card as you'll have to remove a sticker to do it.

If the card never broke 61C then you have nothing to worry about. The undervolting argument from most miners is to prove they didn't get the thing too hot. Folders run full power 24x7 for years and cards are fine, the key is temperature.

Pricing will never recover due to RAM. Retail price is probably 75-100 higher for the next year or two. I'd jump on this one if I were you.
I see. Thanks for info

Which ASUS 1070 is it. I have 4 of the OC editions mining and they are great cards etc but the one issue i have with them, is that the RAM is not cooled. There are no heatsinks or heatpipes etc.
It means the RAM may have run hotter than otherwise "normal" conditions because mining really hammers the RAM on GPU's for most coins.
That would be my only concern with it. The Core might have never gone above 61, but what about the memory if it is not cooled.

I its one of the versions where the memory is cooled, then its a GREAT deal. Also means you will have a few years of the card under warranty to :)
Its either ROG-STRIX-GTX1070-8G-GAMING or ROG-STRIX-GTX1070-O8G-GAMING, not sure right now. Strix cooler should also have contact with RAM, or? The cheaper Dual cooler doesn't, right?

Anyway, now that I told him I agree with 200€, he says he recalculated and now it's 300€ :O :/. He'll continue to mine untill it will become totally worthless it seems or until 200€ will be enough for him. Oh well, I'm not giving away that much right now, besides, I don't even game that much anymore.

Thanks anyway guys!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts