Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Main components:
Asus ROG Impact VII
I7-4790K
Enermax Infiniti 720w power supply
2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3-1866

I've noticed this problem where after a shutdown my system won't cold boot properly. When I turn it back on the fans go full speed for a few seconds and then throttle back like normal but the monitor is still searching for signal. If I hold the power button down for 5 seconds and release it the system powers down after a few seconds. I can then press the power button again and it powers up just fine other than I get a warning that my overclock has failed and to go into the BIOS to resolve it. This happens whether I am running stock settings or overclocked.

I have no other power related issues that I know of. System will warm reboot no problem, will hibernate/standby and wake up no problem.

Is this a power supply problem? I do have a Corsair CX500 that I haven't tried yet, but any other ideas?

·
Senior OCN Member
41,223 Posts
The Enermax Infiniti is from 2007 so its not a wonder if it has died when its an 8 year old model.
Try the CX if that works you should get a replacement for both the Infiniti and the CX.

• Rep+
Reactions: Turgin

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll swap the power supplies tonight and report back.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I swapped in the CX500 last night and everything works great so it must be the Enermax. However, I put the Enermax in the system that the CX500 was in and it works fine in that one. That system is an old AMD Phenom II x2 on an Asus M4A88T that's my "emergency" PC. I guess there's something the Z97 based motherboard doesn't like about the Enermax.

I'll run the CX500 for now and get that XFX XTR I've had my eye on eventually.

Thanks for leading me to the obvious!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts