Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the hdd mode set to raid, when I press CTRL I to get in to the boot manager nothing happens. Am I doing anything wrong.

(I havent got the 2nd sdd in yet, will that make a difference, shoudnt the menu pop up anyway?)

·
Overclock Failed...
13,565 Posts
First, do you have two identical drives?

Second, is the OS loading the RAID driver(s)? If they load, you get the RAID management screen (where the CTRL/I option shows up).

If you're trying to set up a RAID 0 array, that has to be done during an OS install.

Please post a little more about what you're trying to do, and what you have done.

·
Premium Member
5,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by billbartuska;13000464
First, do you have two identical drives?

Second, is the OS loading the RAID driver(s)? If they load, you get the RAID management screen (where the CTRL/I option shows up).

If you're trying to set up a RAID 0 array, that has to be done during an OS install.

Please post a little more about what you're trying to do, and what you have done.
Ok. looks like im all confued, new drive arrives tomorrow,i thought the raid manager was part of the motherboard and didnt need any drives to run.

drives are Ocz vertex 2 60gb and Ocz vertex 2e 60gb

so when do i install the os?

·
Overclock Failed...
13,565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewmchugh;13000519
i thought the raid manager was part of the motherboard
so when do i install the os?
Well it is part of the motherboard (the chipset actually, that's where the hardware is).

It's kind of like on board sound. If you use it you have to install the motherboard's sound driver, but if you don't use on board sound, you don't have to install the driver.

As for how to set up an array, it depends on what kind of array you want.

Basically with a RAID 0 array (where 1/2 the data goes to each drive, for faster speed) you have to set up the array during the OS install.

For a mirrored array (where all the data goes to each drive, for data security) you can set that up after an OS install. It's just easier to do it during the install.

The drives have to be identical (well, pretty close at least) because data is being whiten to two drive at the same time. If the drives have different read/write speeds, the RAID software/hardware can get slowed down, at best, and confused at worst (bit heaven for you data!).

Read your MOBO manual and some articles about RAID, types, and how to install, before you try. It will save you days, hours, weeks of anguish.

·
Premium Member
5,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by billbartuska;13000745
Well it is part of the motherboard (the chipset actually, that's where the hardware is).

It's kind of like on board sound. If you use it you have to install the motherboard's sound driver, but if you don't use on board sound, you don't have to install the driver.

As for how to set up an array, it depends on what kind of array you want.

Basically with a RAID 0 array (where 1/2 the data goes to each drive, for faster speed) you have to set up the array during the OS install.

For a mirrored array (where all the data goes to each drive, for data security) you can set that up after an OS install. It's just easier to do it during the install.

The drives have to be identical (well, pretty close at least) because data is being whiten to two drive at the same time. If the drives have different read/write speeds, the RAID software/hardware can get slowed down, at best, and confused at worst (bit heaven for you data!).

Read your MOBO manual and some articles about RAID, types, and how to install, before you try. It will save you days, hours, weeks of anguish.
Yeh mate i will be raid 0 striped.

So i dont need to set it as a bootable raid 0, windows 7 installer will have it all covered?

·
Premium Member
6,033 Posts
Yes windows 7 will have it covered. As it will put in the correct driver for the raid when installing. Thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts