Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Hardware Maniac
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello im thinking of buying an ASUS M5A78L-M LX Plus

And put my current 6300 in it and buy myself a 8350 for my main pc..

Do you think the 3+1 vrm can handle it or i need some heatsink and fan? im going to run the cpu at stock clock without turbo boost so 3.5ghz lock

Any idea of what i can use to glue heatsink?
rolleyes.gif

Thank you

·
PC Gamer
1,699 Posts
Will the M5 A 78L/USB3 be any better?

·
PC Gamer
1,699 Posts
Will a USB3 be enough for an FX 6300?

·
PC Gamer
1,699 Posts
Even for OCing?

·
Registered
716 Posts
The specs say its rated for 140 Watt cpus and supports the FX-8350. So, you should be able to get a little bit of an FX-6300 overclock with it. But since it doesnt have vrm heatsinks, youll develop throttling issues if you try to push too far.

Quote:
Any idea of what i can use to glue heatsink?
Thermal tape, which can then be removed if need be. Video card memory heatsinks with the thermal tape can be used for the vrms. And dont forget the fan too, heh.

·
PC Gamer
1,699 Posts
Can someone link a roll of thermal tape?Just to see how it looks like.

·
Registered
716 Posts

·
PC Gamer
1,699 Posts
Thanks!

·
Hardware Maniac
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey guy this board can handle a fx 6300 at 4.3 4.5 Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 rev5.0 he has heatsink but you need to disable apm in the bios

and look at throttling if you can add fan to the vrm heatsink

Asus marketing scam... Even gigabyte all these manufacturer sell mobo that cant handle fx chip.... this one can with the 6300 for the 8000 is another story

·
Premium Member
4,265 Posts
The UD3P is only like $90. Why not just "splurge" the extra $30 over the 78LMT and have a chipset that is only just recently legacy status rather than one that was legacy 3 years ago. Oh, and that extra $30 doubles the VRMs to 8+2. It's no longer a question of "will it run it," rather, "will it run it at 5ghz??!?!?"

I've done suicide runs on mine at up to ~5.4ghz (scored ALMOST 7 in cinebench, lol) on this board.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.