·
Software Developer
7,231 Posts

·
Registered
709 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by $ilent;15247117
Yeah but there werent that many msi GE gtx 465s made but people didnt pay stupid amounts for that
Big difference between a "limited" edition card and a card that was taken off manufacturing due to low sales...
biggrin.gif

Either way; I'm with you. Waste of money on this one, but then again... Some people out there like the e-Peen that comes with having a "Limited Edition/Numbered" GPU.

It's kind of like with Diamonds (the precious stone)... They're only expensive because the people in charge keep supply low at all times; and because humans have an uncanny attraction to shinny, expensive things.
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by $ilent;15247117
Yeah but there werent that many msi GE gtx 465s made but people didnt pay stupid amounts for that
True, but the MARS is a Brand, granted you could buy 4x 570's for the price of one of these, but you're paying for the bragging rights and the ingenuity that went into designing it!

if you don't like the price, don't buy one!

Personally i've rather have 4x 570's or 3 x 580's

·
Premium Member
15,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmm suppose it does come down to the bragging rights. I just thought it would have been like 4x 580s on one die...that would be worth £1300 then!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXSebaSXx;15247164
It's kind of like with Diamonds (the precious stone)... They're only expensive because the people in charge keep supply low at all times; and because humans have an uncanny attraction to shinny, expensive things.
biggrin.gif
This I can confirm though business dealings. In Russia and elsewhere there's warehouses full of diamonds just packed in crates waiting to be cut and released.

You don't want to release too many at once because then it devalues the price.

De Beers have attempted to regulate the market my laser etching logos onto stones and keeping a register and convincing retailers to only stock branded stones. The idea is on the surface about stopping the supply of diamonds from war zones but it's also about controlling a market that's getting more and more flooded.

·
A lot lazier than before
1,334 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by $ilent;15247088
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-262-AS&groupid=701&catid=1914&subcat=1966

£1300...description says this card is just two gtx 580s on one board, so why does it cost £1300? Two gtx 580s cost like £750, so why is this thing nearly twice as expensive?!

AM I missing something?
They're so expensive because the PCB and VRMs are all custom made for the card. The only nVidia stock piece on that board are the chips themselves. Had I the money, I'd buy this card if I didn't have a WC system in mind...
tongue.gif

·
Registered
711 Posts
That's just for bragging rights, nothing more and nothing less.

·
Registered
4,553 Posts
If i had the money and something like a WC'd dual x5680/SR-2 setup, i'd splurge on the ASUS MARS 2

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Here are the reasons why:

1) It's ROG
2) It's the fastest single card in existance right now. 2 overclocked 580s in 1 card > 590(2 downclocked 580s in 1 card)
3) Everything about it is custom except for the GPU chip.
4) It's limited edition
5) Because Asus can, and people still buy it(proven)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts