Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a start of a new school year, I decided I should start building my own computer.

As I finally finished I can not seem to achieve any sort of visual, not even BIOS.

I have the Asus Maximus IV Extreme + i7 2600k
Zotac GTX 580

It comes with hdmi,dvi,and adapter for Vga.

I have tried all 3 and no visual.
I also have no errors codes upon the LED.

I have a 700 W PSU, and Im hoping that everything is connected properly.
Im checking tomorrow with a professional to be sure.
But in times sense, it seems everything I have done is proper, I just can not get a visual.

Im not sure if the antec 1200 has beeping noises, but it starts up just fine. ( Measured by sounds)

I have a 2TB HDD on 3 gb/s and no CD Drive atm (Cant find the Cables)
Any help?

·
Registered
17 Posts
did your motherboard or case come with a motherboard speaker? Not usually something pre wired into case. Ussualy just a 2" long pair of wires, plugs on 1 end and small black disc speaker on the other and plugs into the motherboard were the on/off and reset plugs go.

If you have that, even if theres a problem with the video card...you will get an audable single beep if it posts okay.

I have read somewhere about some GTX580 cards not seeing certain monitors untill the drivers get installed and updated. The fix for that being to plug it into an old crt monitor untill drivers get updated.

·
Registered
26 Posts
could be ram? what kind of ram do you have? g skill? I think there is a memok button on the top right of the board, if it does push that button instead of the power button to boot the computer it's sets the setting very low so you can get a bios post. try that.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Antec does not come with a "Beep" Switch
The Case comes with a Power SW, Reset SW, and a IDE LED
Which is all all connected into my Q-Connector, and all those buttons seem to work.
I cant tell for the Reset SW, because I cant even get a visual.
But the Motherboard does not have any Debug leds on, and everything seems to be working, or is it least has power.

I have 8 GB of G-Skill Ram Yes.
Ill try the mem ok.

I dont believe I have another computer with 2.0 PCI-E accessiblilty, but I do have a second monitor, Ill try that.

Would not having a CD-Drive affect it at all?

Ill test all of these now.

·
Registered
26 Posts
yeah you can try another monitor or another output on the vid card. but i'm guessing still the ram. no cd drive would not effect the posting

·
Registered
26 Posts
also another thought make sure the pci lane dip switch is in the enabled position for your video card they're 4 of them on the top right.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok this is what I have done so far.

I tried using mem ok, and a different monitor, and still no visual.
My lane switch is turned on, and I tried all 3 Ports (Mini Hdmi,Dvi,dvi to vga adapter)

Could it be possible my graphics isnt getting sufficient power or is connected improperly which would affect it all?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update :

One of my friends informed me that it may be my power supply that is lacking.
The Zotac itself takes around 600 W minimum and my supply is 700w max i believe.

The power supply i have is a cool max 700w modular Power supply.
Or the specs are follows.

28A/28A - 180W
18A/16A/16A - 570W
0.5A - 6W
3.0A - 15W

The Zotac 580 on the box claims it needs minimum of 600.
Plus my i7 2600k doesnt exactly help the situation im assuming.
So if my graphics isnt getting enough power, could that be why my visual isnt working and there isnt any debug codes.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The system needs a minmum of 600w...not the card by itself. Those cards only draw @ 255 watts.

Did you remove and set the memory and video card back in, making sure everything is seated properly?

Did you install both the 24 and 8 pin power supplies into the motherboard?

Both power leads on the video card installed and seated properly?

To me it sounds like something just isn't seated. If you have a PC store close by, I would pick up a motherboard speaker. At least on power up it will give the single beep that post is okay..even if nothing on the moniter shows up. Or it will give a series of beeps, or of course nothing at all if there is a problem. Your MB manual will list what the beeps mean.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Your entire system won't take more than 250~ or so at idle. You would only experience power issues at load, and even then, good power supplies can supply more than they're rated for.

The issue you're having sounds like memory isn't in the slot all the way, or needs to be reseated. I know you think it's video because you don't have a display but other things are checked in POST before video.

Try stripping down to bare essentials, make sure nothing is grounding out in the case, re-check all of your connections. Unplug anything that isn't necessary for it to boot, and come back to us.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So yes i did more research and find out the the card takes only 255W Max.
I am unsure however how much my Mobo takes with everything.
With that I can conclude it probably isnt the power supply, but however I am unsure of the connections of the zotac.

There are 6/8 pin connectors and adapters however my PSU can only supply the 6 pin.
The 8 pin however has an adapter for 2 6 pins and a 6 pin adapter for 2 ez plugs.

This thing is confusing to set up.
And yes, the no sound on the case doesnt exactly help.

i havent diagnosed the problem yet, and Im returning the card due to monetary issues. I just hope I can get a basic visual so i can at least set it up.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ive come to conclusion its either the mobo doesnt post or the gpu doesnt function.

The case receives power to everything in the board and turns on, but since i do not have a visual , i can only assume its either the gpu or mobo.
My decision is swaying toward the mobo as other users have reported getting boards NIB and also been getting non posting boards.

The GPU is new as well and also receives power, (Zotac GTX 580)

Could this be the final decision making problem.

·
<OCN>
781 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts