Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was holding out for the Z77 Maximus formula or the gigabyte g1 sniper 3 E atx boards but with no release date in sight(formula 5 now slated for around june according to the rog forums) having just about all my parts at the house with no motherboard I need to decide on some alternatives for now and get one of the others later down the road. I was leaning towards the Matx since I'll only be running 1 nvidia 670 right now wanting sli further down the road . Out of these 2 boards(maximus 5 gene , Sniper M3) which one is the best ? or maybe you know of a better alternative ? I'm planning on doing some decent ocing with a liquid cooling setup.I've heard the ud5h gigabyte boards are ok but with the freezing issues I'm not sure I want to jump on that boat. I'm also going to be running 2 ocz vertex 4 120gb drives in raid 0 with a 2tb drive as storage. I have an nzxt switch 810 case so the board is going to look very small.

·
Premium Member
13,266 Posts
G1.Sniper 3 is the eATX Board
The G1.Sniper M3 is the mATX board.

The G1.Sniper3 is built for SLI/CF setups.

IMo the G1.Sniper3 has a PLX8747 which will take the native 16x PCi-E 3.0 lanes and provide 32x PCI-E 3.0 for the GPUs, however for single card setups i recommend you go with the Sniper M3 as it is mATX and doesn't have this IC. The PLX bridge causes a short delay to provide more lanes, and thus you will see benefits with as little as two cards, but not with 1.

BTW if you want greatest boards, they aren't even here yet
wink.gif
and no one knows what they will be called.

G1.Sniper 3 isn't even for sale yet, the Sniper M3 is tho.

The Maximus 5 Gene i hear is pretty good.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The matx board is really just to hold me over till the best of the best do come out. I like the look of the maximus 5 gene a bit more than the sniper m3 but my last 2 boards have been gigabyte so I dunno which matx to get.I guess the difference is minimal between the 2 and i think I'm leaning towards the asus maximus 5 gene.

·
Premium Member
13,266 Posts
the maximus has more OC features the M3 has more gaming features. That is the difference. Either will support your air OC to its max, but the M5G prob better for LN2.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What gaming features does the sniper m3 have ? This is going to be a gaming rig. I will also be using an h100 to cool the cpu for now I'm still buying parts for my custom cooling kit

1 - 7 of 7 Posts