Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
My Gene-Z had severe overheating problems when the rest of the system was water cooled. I would highly suggest the chipset and mosfet blocks unless you can make sure there is sufficient airflow over the board.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Haha. Too many mixed answers. I'm not sure what to think about the chipset, but I'm definitely going for the EK mosfet block. Too bad I'm trying to be patient and wait for Ivy Bridge to drop, if not for the better cpu but at least the lower price for Sandy Bridge hopefully.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Personally, I think your loop would look better with just the mosfet water block. Looking at your board, you might lose the 2nd slot if you want to SLI or add a sound card if extends over the z68 chipset if you add a water block there. However, if you want to water cool your z68 chipset, and don't intend to use slot 2, then go for it. I wouldn't think it will hurt to add a block on the z68 chip... so if you think you be happier with it... that is all that matters. We build our own computers to make it the way want it to look and function. Make it your own... and posts some pics.
thumb.gif

·
Registered
445 Posts
I'm with EK_tiborrr and erayser on this one. mainly because i would never remove the functionality of a $300 motherboard for something that produces so little heat. and for what? looks? that's just silly. but then again... i'm just another ******* with an opinion. take it for it's worth.
rolleyes.gif

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh yeah. I spaced that EK_tiborrr had said I would lose a slot if I did the chipset block. The current plan is to WC two 6970's in CF so for now I will have to forget the chipset block until I have the cards in and see what kind of room I might have. If anything I could put a small fan on the chipset if it does get too warm. I have plenty after my adventures with my M4A785-M mobo.

I was noticing that that heatkiller chipset block does appear to have taken that slot problem into account, but I would still wait to measure things out just in case.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
I'm speaking from first-hand experience with the board, it will overheat if you don't maintain good airflow. The heatsinks are mainly decorative and don't function that well at all, especially if you get into overclocking. Either plan your build with fans blowing air across the board, or put the chipset and mosfet under water too. Just trying to help because I had to disassemble my entire rig only a week after it was together for this reason. Its a particular trait of the Gene-Z because its such a high performance mATX setup, my sabertooth doesn't get nearly as hot with a similar setup.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Its gone now, but this is what it looked like last. I used that board in several different builds.

DSC01785.jpg

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nice:) What case is that? and are those both dual 120mm radiators?

So you didn't have the mosfet block? I was under the impression that you had the mosfet but not the chipset block.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradyT88 View Post

Nice:) What case is that? and are those both dual 120mm radiators?
So you didn't have the mosfet block? I was under the impression that you had the mosfet but not the chipset block.
No, I had neither and it was a mistake. I had to run my fans at max RPM (loud) to keep the mosfet around ~60*C and the chipset in the 40*C range. I thought it would be OK but after having some overheating problems I found out from others that had used the board that it is a common problem with water cooled builds. Check in the Gene-Z thread in the intel section, theres a lot of good info in there.

Also, yes those are both 120.2 rads in a Fractal Arc Mini. Best of luck with your build, its a great board I just wanted to make sure you knew what was up before you got it together.
thumb.gif

1 - 14 of 14 Posts