Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I recently inherited this laptop from a customer who spilled champagne on it and just decided he didn't want to deal with "repairs" and bought a new laptop. I just stripped it apart and dried out the parts and it is working perfectly normal now. The one thing I just cannot get to work is the built in microphone, the webcam works though. The webcam for this model and probably a lot of other models have a weird thing where the image is inverted and you have to download a different webcam driver for it and I did. I have tried multiple webcam drivers and audio drivers but still cannot get the built in microphone to work. I took apart the screen lid and checked the connect to the webcam module and the wires connecting to it from the motherboard and nothing seems to be wrong. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Most of the time laptop webcams are connected to USB headers on the motherboard, and the microphone is part of the webcam. So if the webcam works, you might:

a) have a problem with your driver not dealing with the audio part of the webcam correctly
b) have a defective microphone on the webcam "assembly" itself

That's considering both peripherals are packaged together. Webcam modules are usually pretty cheap, it's worth a shot swapping it out once you definitely know it isn't a driver issue.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried all the different versions of the drivers already so I guess the only thing left is to try and buy a new module.
Do I have to buy the same module as mine or can other webcam modules from Asus laptops with the same type of connectors work?

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Hard to say. If the camera module is in fact connected to a USB header, any physically compatible unit with it that have the same header pin-out should to compatible.

Laptop mfrs usually have more than one supplier for components like these. I know for a fact that webcams from toshiba laptops are compatible across many series, and that same models often have several camera units from different suppliers.

Unless you have access to an important parts bin, just look around for a model-specific part for your unit. Much easier that way.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts