Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a brand new R9 290x from newegg and have been getting BSOD's non stop since the install.

I have tried everything. Multiple sets of drivers, complete clean installs, rolling back to older drivers, beta drivers, expanding my own drivers, trying different PCIe slots...you name it.

Still get these freaking BSOD's.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to make them stop? Crappy drivers for the card? My Corsair 850w PSU not up to par? Need to get a new board a chip?

Would love to get this thing working

-SF

·
Baller on a Budget
1,304 Posts
What makes it crash? Is it in game or randomly on the desktop, opening Youtube or something? Have you tried underclocking it or increasing the voltage?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had the exact same problem with my XFX 290. Random BSOD in idle or gaming, no matter what. The only thing i found that stops the bsod's for me is flashing the card with the PT1 bios. This stops the card from under clocking itself which seem to be the problem. Quite fed up with this POS and beta drivers tbh...

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I jumped the gun and already did an RMA. Ugh.

It crashes randomly. Sometimes youtube, sometimes not. Sometimes it goes for hours without but a majority of the time it just BSOD'd for no reason.

I did not try messing with it minus the drivers. When I get the new card I will try the new bios and bumping up the voltage.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cables tested fine. Have a ton (multiple types too!). Unless, of course, dual monitors is causing it. If that is the case, F-ATI.

I truly think it is bad drivers, but I have no other options.

Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Quote:
Tried different BIOS, drivers, etc. Nothing works.

Jumping ship to NVIDIA.
That's exactly what I did when my 5870s xfire still wasn't doing its job. I will never go AMD again as far as cards go. Also sticking with intel only to save my future headaches

·
Registered
109 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidForce View Post

My board has a NF200 chip...think that would cause it?
Oddly enough, I had the same issues and I also have a NF200 chip. Coincidence?

I actually planned to upgrade my processor and CPU because I'm running crossfire with 2 of these cards. Since it's running ok for now, I'm going to leave it alone.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah. I think the NF200. Along my travels to fix the problem, I ran across someone who had an NF200 chip, but it was only hooked up to one of his PCIe slots. When he put it in the non-NF200 slot, the BSOD's went away.

My board isnt the same, so no go for me.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have a board with NF200. It's an Asus Maximus IV Extreme P67 B3 Rev. It's not just ATI cards though. I had some issues running a GTX 680 4gb SLI setup. It was also BSOD issues. It stopped doing it once I changed the active dp to dvi adapter to a passive one. So far so good, no crashing or anything. I do have some weird wake up issues with Windows 8.1 Pro. I spend half my time in Linux and it never crashes there.

If I find a good price on a Haswell, I might upgrade but until then, I'm sticking with what I have.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just in case someone else stumbles on this. I have had multiple RMA's for 290x and 290's. NF200 chip is culprit. When the card is not in one of those slots, everything works as it should.

What a crock....
mad.gif

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have been struggling for months to fix nearly the same issue but I have found what the problem was.

At first I thought it was the card but had it returned 2 times to the store I bought it from (so I tried 3 cards). Then tried the card in my friends system and found it worked perfectly fine. Ruled out it wasn't the card. So I thought maybe it was the motherboard. I changed to an Asus Sabertooth Z77 board. Still got the same problem. I then realized the PCI controller was on the CPU. I had another i7 awaiting my wife's rebuild so I switched CPU's. The problem was no longer present. Basically what I had was a dying processor.

If the problem persists, it can be a bad processor. Just wanted to post my findings I case people still want to blame ATI/AMD.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDead View Post

I had the exact same problem with my XFX 290. Random BSOD in idle or gaming, no matter what. The only thing i found that stops the bsod's for me is flashing the card with the PT1 bios. This stops the card from under clocking itself which seem to be the problem. Quite fed up with this POS and beta drivers tbh...
I've just put pt1 bios on and had computer running 36 hours or so straight with no bsod crash ... Too early to say its fixed , but steady as she goes for now

·
Registered
4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CriticalHit View Post

I've just put pt1 bios on and had computer running 36 hours or so straight with no bsod crash ... Too early to say its fixed , but steady as she goes for now
Sounds promising! I've been running stable since the moment i changed the BIOS. Not a single BSOD!
biggrin.gif

Fingers crossed!
thumb.gif

·
Registered
10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDead View Post

Sounds promising! I've been running stable since the moment i changed the BIOS. Not a single BSOD!
biggrin.gif

Fingers crossed!
thumb.gif
It working out for you? I'm having the same issue but using an MSI R9 290X. Think i could use the same drivers?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Still no bsod for me ... And now I can over clock to 1150 as can put more volts in
smile.gif
.. I haven't pushed past 1.4v as not wired right now

Pt1 bios has made a huge difference to my cards' stability and performance .. Computer room being noticeably warmer is the main drawback

·
Registered
1 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CriticalHit View Post

Still no bsod for me ... And now I can over clock to 1150 as can put more volts in
smile.gif
.. I haven't pushed past 1.4v as not wired right now

Pt1 bios has made a huge difference to my cards' stability and performance .. Computer room being noticeably warmer is the main drawback
Hi CriticalHit, is it possible for you to answer me some questions? Has your motherboard the NF200? If so, after flashing PT1 BIOS, it has some kind of issues? Thanks.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts