Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I'm in the market for a laptop. It's primary use will be for school with a light side of gaming. I have found two that I'm interested in and would like some input.

Asus - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834220634

Dell - Intel I3 350M 2.26ghz / 4gb shared dual channel ddr3 at 1006mhz / 500GB SATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) / ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 5470, 1GB / 15.6†High Definition (720p) LED Display with TrueLife™ and Camera / Intel© Centrino© Advanced-N 6200 / 85 Whr Lithium Ion Battery (9 cell) / 8X Slot Load CD/DVD Burner (Dual Layer DVD+/-R Drive) / High Definition Audio 2.2 / Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64bit, English

Total price for the Dell with shipping is $854.99

I'm not very familiar with laptops as I've never really had a need for one.

Last thing, is there really a noticeable difference between a 15 and 17 inch laptops, like is having a 17 really that bad to lug around? cause i can upgrade to a 17 inch with dell for the same price.

·
Chief of Snark
1,333 Posts
Screen size could add as much as 1-2lbs, plus require you to get a different case, since not all cases will fit 17" laptops. Whether that's important or not is up to you; in my case, I went down from a 15" to a 14" laptop because of weight (at the same time, I did go one bump up in resolution to 1440x900). If it were me, I wouldn't go above 15", but maybe you want to stop by a local shop and compare.

The Dell laptop will be faster at gaming. While the P8700 Core 2 Duo of the ASUS is no slouch, the Core i3 will likely beat it, and the video will be a modest step up too.

The standard warranty for the ASUS (out-of-the-box) is better. However, ASUS has kind of an average level of support from what I've heard, and you can customize the Dell warranty to fit your needs (e.g., 1, 2, or 3 years, accidental damage protection if you want it). I've done well with Dell tech support, and since you're in this forum (which means to me that you have some level of tech knowledge) you should be able to work well with their support should you need it.

Both look like good systems. I'd give a slight nod to the Dell, but only because you mention gaming on it, and because I know their service level --the ASUS specs are good. Do factor in sales tax on the Dell, since you'll be charged for it (NewEgg won't charge you that on the ASUS unless they have a warehouse in your state).

• Rep+
Reactions: Alex420

·
Registered
472 Posts
Dell for the specs that are slightly above the ASUS for the most part. 15,6" IMO is the sweet spot between screen size and portability. 17" starts being a little on the heavy side and if you lug it around all day long it'll get annoying pretty quickly. Like LoneWolf mentioned Dell support is actually pretty solid, I use to have a dell and never had any problems getting help, ASUS on the other hand I've experienced not so great customer care. So for the little extra, dell is probably your best bet.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeathAvenger
View Post

Dell for the specs that are slightly above the ASUS for the most part. 15,6" IMO is the sweet spot between screen size and portability. 17" starts being a little on the heavy side and if you lug it around all day long it'll get annoying pretty quickly. Like LoneWolf mentioned Dell support is actually pretty solid, I use to have a dell and never had any problems getting help, ASUS on the other hand I've experienced not so great customer care. So for the little extra, dell is probably your best bet.

this

plus dell warranty = pretty good(you complain, they'll replace)
asus warranty = not so good

17" = a beast to lug around (this laptop would be considered a desktop replacement)
15" = good size to carry and use.

·
Registered
74 Posts
IMHO Dell makes Great laptops, I deal with them all the time, fixing dell as well as other brands, and dell warranty and components are some of the best in the industry.

·
Registered
720 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,484 Posts
Which Dell laptop specifically were you looking at? Price looks to in the Inspiron range... so a warranty upgrade to on-site may or may not be worth it...

·
Man with Fans
7,746 Posts
The Asus is better graphics wise as well as quality wise.
The Dell is better CPU wise.

You might want to consider this because though the tradeoffs here are the CPU (i3 is less power hungry I believe) and that though the 4650 in the Asus is more powerful, the Dell's 5470 means you can run DX11 games.

·
Registered
795 Posts
i have had nothing but great laptops and support from asus, can't really comment on the dell ones tho... and i have a asus lappy now with the 17.3" screen, and tbh its not that crazy heavy that it hurts my back to carry around, if you think about it your gonna be carrying all those heavy books for class anyway, whats a few extra lbs?

·
Man with Fans
7,746 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by KillerBeaz View Post
i have had nothing but great laptops and support from asus, can't really comment on the dell ones tho... and i have a asus lappy now with the 17.3" screen, and tbh its not that crazy heavy that it hurts my back to carry around, if you think about it your gonna be carrying all those heavy books for class anyway, whats a few extra lbs?
N61Jq?
I love that laptop.

Its too awesome for words.

620QM, HD5730. How I wish I had one of those.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts