Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my old XFX 780i board, I was able to go into the bios and set the fan speed.
I had it set so that once the temps hit around 35, the fan would run at 100%.

With my new i7 build (I have not even overclocked yet) I am seeing my temps get up to around 41/42 while gaming. I went into the bios, and all I have is the q-fan option. I played around with this but it does not let me set the % and the temp to kick in at.
Standard is what I want, but it does not give you the options on what temps to set it to kick in on, it does it itself. I have no clue if it is going to run 100% or not or even at what speed.
I am guessing that Turbo will have it running full all the time, which I dont need.

Anyone with this board help me out?

·
Registered
979 Posts
I believe asus pc probe does that. you can control fan speeds and tell when to alert you at custom thresholds. check it out at the asus website for your mobo under programs.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by lardo5150
View Post

This cant be done at all from the bios?

Only if you have a PWM fan.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by McDown
View Post

Only if you have a PWM fan.

Does the bios detect this and then give you this option?

EDIT: Is the fan I have right now (just a normal 120m case fan) running at 100% already? If so, I need to get something else, something with a little more kick.

·
Registered
833 Posts
PWM fan has 4 pins connector and will change speed automatically. If I'm recalling correct there's an option "Auto" in Asus Q-Fan.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I see everyone recommeding Panflo's, Ultra, or Sans for the fan for a Meg.
Are these PWM?

I dont want to set it to Auto, because the fan may not kick into full gear until it reaches a high temp, I would like to set it to a lower temp so that it kicks on earlier.

Does the ASUS program take up a lot of resources?

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

Originally Posted by getbigtony View Post
get a 4-to-3pin adapter
Sorry, a little confused, what will this do exactly?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts