Overclock.net banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having some trouble getting my motherboard to recognize my 7th hard drive. I have 6 hard drives plugged into the Intel sata controller and then one hard drive plugged into the jmicron controller. I have enabled the controller in bios, along with AHCI for the jmicron controller. The drive shows up as IDE and I think that's the problem.

What I am trying to accomplish: I had 3 hard drives in a spanned volume and I realized that this method isn't recommended because if one drive fails then all the information across the drives is lost. So I bought 3 new WD red drives to create a storage space which I would use to transfer the files that are now on the spanned volume. After the files are transferred I am going to format the drives to add them to the new storage space.

I have pictures of everything in bios; maybe I missed something.

·
Meeeeeeeow!
2,229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kplonsky View Post

I am having some trouble getting my motherboard to recognize my 7th hard drive. I have 6 hard drives plugged into the Intel sata controller and then one hard drive plugged into the jmicron controller. I have enabled the controller in bios, along with AHCI for the jmicron controller. The drive shows up as IDE and I think that's the problem.

What I am trying to accomplish: I had 3 hard drives in a spanned volume and I realized that this method isn't recommended because if one drive fails then all the information across the drives is lost. So I bought 3 new WD red drives to create a storage space which I would use to transfer the files that are now on the spanned volume. After the files are transferred I am going to format the drives to add them to the new storage space.

I have pictures of everything in bios; maybe I missed something.

]
Apparently the JMIcron controller might not be compatible with RAID:
http://www.overclock.net/t/627207/jmicron-esata-controller-must-be-disabled-for-raid/0_100

Give this a read too:
http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=313610

It looks like that JMicron controller isn't too great.
mad.gif

It's a similar problem that I have on my PC - the Asmedia controllers are not that great and the Intel PCH controllers are much better.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts