Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got an Asus P6X58D Premium motherboard from a friend in perfect working condition and shipped to me in very good packaging conditions, I am using the motherboard to build a relative a computer and have bought brand new ram and power supply to go with it:

Seasonic SS-760XP2 ATX 12V/EPS 12V, 760W, 80 PLUS PLATINUM

Crucial Ballistix Tactical 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3L 1600

The computer will not post bios at all while the mobo do get lights turned on and the fans are on full speed (while connected to the mobo).

The motherboard was fully functional a week ago the last time my friend used it so I'm really confused why all of a sudden it's not working.

He even sent me the CPU (xeon x5690) and I've even tried a different CPU of my own (xeon x5650) on the motherboard to try, still same result with no post to bios, but lights on mobo and fans are on

I have tried using only 1 stick of ram and tried each different one in DIMM A1 slot as suggested in the manual. I have also tested the motherboard outside of the case to make sure there was no contact with the motherboard and any metal

Also I have tried using 2 different graphic cards with no success

Is this the result of a dead PSU, motherboard or ram?

I do notice that on the ASUS p6X58D premium the DRAM LED light is solid red and holding down the "MEM OK" button does nothing, clear cmos does nothing, and cmos battery for an hour with no success as well.

·
Overclock Failed...
13,565 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My friend was already using the Xeon x5690 on the mobo for a year...

And another friend who bought an Asus P6X58D Premium also is using an X5650 on his

·
PC Enthusiast
3,510 Posts
Have you tried the MemOK! Button, next to the ram slots, on the edge?

Start by having the PC off. Then press/hold that button untill PC reacts.

Should take a little while to cycle ram settings and try to post

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norlig View Post

Have you tried the MemOK! Button, next to the ram slots, on the edge?

Start by having the PC off. Then press/hold that button untill PC reacts.

Should take a little while to cycle ram settings and try to post
Doesn't seem to be doing anything

·
Registered
32 Posts
I recently was given a motherboard to try and fix for a person. It is the SAME type motherboard and it is doing the same thing with an i7 920 or a Xeon X5650 but, nothing.
All the fans start up, the lights on the reset and start button on the MB light up and the Ram light also stays on red and yes, I have held that button and pushed the start button
and kept holding the mem button , released after about 10 seconds and nothing. Any ideas out there please?
smile.gif

·
Overclock Failed...
13,565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzPapaSmurf View Post

I I have held that button and pushed the start button
and kept holding the mem button , released after about 10 seconds and nothing. Any ideas out there please?
smile.gif
Opinion? Yeah, you're thread hijacking.

That being what it may:

MemOK! function

During the tuning process, the system loads and tests failsafe memory settings. It
takes about 30 seconds for the system to test one set of failsafe settings. If the test
fails, the system reboots and test the next set of failsafe settings. The blinking speed
of the DRAM_LED increases, indicating different test processes.

Due to memory tuning requirement, the system automatically reboots when each
timing set is tested. If the installed DIMMs still fail to boot after the whole tuning
process, the DRAM_LED lights continuously.

Of course the memory, CPU or motherboard itself may be faulty to the point the the memOK won't work.

Some stuff you can do:
Check that the BIOS supports the CPU you have installed.
Do a BIOS reset (disconnect the PSU, pull the battery, etc)
Reflash the BIOS, perhaps to the latest one (see Owners Manual for methods)
Remove everything from the case and put everything together on a non conductive surface and see if it boots. (you may have to jumper the PSU)
Start swapping out components for known good ones or swapping components into a computer that runs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts