Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Old dog, old tricks
9,755 Posts
This specific mobo i don't know, but ASRock is an ASUS brand, generally cheaper, so I wouldn't expect much of a difference, except maybe quality of tha parts used..

Yet this was some time ago. Lately I hear good good things about ASRock
rolleyes.gif

·
Registered
387 Posts
I am thinking seriously about getting the Asus p8p67 Pro myself , but am lost on what kind of RAM would be good for me. I am going to overclock of course and was looking at some Corsair and GeIl Rams. Not sure if I should go for the 1600 Mhz , or 2000 Mhz , if any one could shed some light on which ones to go for , and timing etc...

thank you

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by honsbeek;11947627
I am thinking seriously about getting the Asus p8p67 Pro myself , but am lost on what kind of RAM would be good for me. I am going to overclock of course and was looking at some Corsair and GeIl Rams. Not sure if I should go for the 1600 Mhz , or 2000 Mhz , if any one could shed some light on which ones to go for , and timing etc...

thank you
Either of this sets below will pretty good

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231303

or little higher price has cas 6
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226120

·
Registered
387 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmario;11947658
Either of this sets below will pretty good

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231303

or little higher price has cas 6
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226120
Thanks a lot for those recommendations , however I was wondering if I should just go for the 1600 's or higher ? Or will I just be needing the 1600's cause we'll be overclocking those anyways ? Or is 2000 RAM better to start off with , if planning to use longer in the future ?

Also Timing is still bit of a quiz for me , Are CL7's the preferable choice over CL9's in general ? They seems to be cheaper at the same speeds.

In G-skill's 2000 Ghz range , you seem to pay about a hundred bucks more for the faster timing at 2gbx2 price range

·
Registered
228 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by honsbeek;11948306
Thanks a lot for those recommendations , however I was wondering if I should just go for the 1600 's or higher ? Or will I just be needing the 1600's cause we'll be overclocking those anyways ? Or is 2000 RAM better to start off with , if planning to use longer in the future ?

Also Timing is still bit of a quiz for me , Are CL7's the preferable choice over CL9's in general ? They seems to be cheaper at the same speeds.

In G-skill's 2000 Ghz range , you seem to pay about a hundred bucks more for the faster timing at 2gbx2 price range
Go with the newer Gskill ripjaws 1600mhz cas 9.http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231428&Tpk=F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL Lower timings are better of course. They are out of stock right now on newegg. 1600mhz is what is meant for the sandybridge. If you are overclocking lower ram speed and lower latency ram is better than superclocked ram. (2000mhz+) I personally just set the timing lower right off the bat and use memtest for testing. Example I bought corsair 8-9-8-24 2000mhz running 7-7-7-20 1600mhz. Now you might want to start out with those Gskill ripjaws at 8-9-8-24 and see how lower you can go without any errors. I have ran mshkin, Gskill, kingston and corsair. I found that corsair is super stable and timings/speed changed are easily achieved.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigaaa;11948432
1600mhz is what is meant for the sandybridge. If you are overclocking lower ram speed and lower latency ram is better than superclocked ram. (2000mhz+) I personally just set the timing lower right off the bat and use memtest for testing. Example I bought corsair 8-9-8-24 2000mhz running 7-7-7-20 1600mhz. .
May I ask you , why did you buy the faster RAM , and then run them slower?
And I am looking into some other RAM , and I found some I want to ask your opinion about. Not that I am not considering your recommendations ,

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820144466&cm_re=geil_value_plus-_-20-144-466-_-Product

Here they are selling 3x 2GB for a similar price, wouldn't I wanna have 6gb , instead of 4 , if the price is right ? Or do I need to pair the RAM on the motherboard , always have Dual RAM and not Dual 2gb x2 , and an additional third 2gb and leave one slot open ? I know they sell these triple set RAMS for the x58 chipset boards , but still I was considering those aswell.

Thank you

·
Registered
145 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by honsbeek;11955802
Darn , I must have uttered something dumb ... =P
Nah, not something all that dumb. Just the difference between dual and triple channel memory. The x58 is triple channel, thus three modules. SB, and p67 is dual, so you want to pair them up. Either 2 or 4 modules, otherwise you will be running in single channel mode.

If you realy want 6gb ram, you would want to go with 2x2 and 2x1, but then why not go with 8gb at either 2x4 or 4x2, but really, unless you are doing things that are really ram intensive, 4gb should be plenty for now, especially if you mainly game, and you can always add two more modules later if you need.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by honsbeek;11948662
May I ask you , why did you buy the faster RAM , and then run them slower?
Can't answer for him, but in my case, most of the time, I run my ram at 1600 6-6-6-18 at 1.61 V. This uses much less energy (about 50-60W less, idle) than running it at 2000 8-8-8-24 @ 1.66V, so I only set it at the higher speed when I need it.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by straha;11957437
Nah, not something all that dumb. Just the difference between dual and triple channel memory. The x58 is triple channel, thus three modules. SB, and p67 is dual, so you want to pair them up. Either 2 or 4 modules, otherwise you will be running in single channel mode.

If you realy want 6gb ram, you would want to go with 2x2 and 2x1, but then why not go with 8gb at either 2x4 or 4x2, but really, unless you are doing things that are really ram intensive, 4gb should be plenty for now, especially if you mainly game, and you can always add two more modules later if you need.
THANK YOU , that was an analysis , I wasn't sure about the DUAL Single channel, thing , you cleared it up.

Now just choosing the right 1600's ... Still i'm not sure how previous user explained that he bought faster RAM but then down sped them , what the reason for that would be? I guess it's just an overclocking result when tweaking the DRAM speeds to obtain perfect stability...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts