Overclock.net banner

21 - 40 of 445 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
The BenQ is $500 right now. I'm guessing the gsync versions from Asus and Acer will be, at best, $650. That's really tough to justify purchasing unless the panel they use are somehow amazing (doubtful). Really wish the current 144hz 1080p gsync monitors weren't so bad panel-wise.

·
Facepalm
8,608 Posts
Man there's so much anger, name calling and nerd rage in this thread... I swear.

You guys would be swinging fists if you were all left in the same room together with a bunch of monitors...

I'll just leave this:

Yes there is diminishing returns in effect.
Yes, the differences still increase, but it gets harder to notice the more you go up.
60hz to 85hz is far more noticeable than 120hz to 144hz, even though that's +25 vs +24.

Let me ask you a question.
My monitor is capable of 0.5ms (!) persistence if I choose. That's a 50% increase over my daily driver of 1.0ms persistence.
Would I notice that? I don't think any of you would notice that unless you were using a test specifically designed to look for it, and then you would still struggle. At persistence levels this low, you've gone far beyond diminishing returns, and gone right into La-La land.

That being said, high refresh rate monitors are a good thing. Scanlines that appear when running most of these high refresh rates are not a good thing (and most of these monitors DO exhibit artifacts when run here, like the 165hz screens do, and you can bet you'll see them on the 240hz ones). And this is purely a CS:GO monitor. You aren't going to get anywhere NEAR 240hz/240 FPS in Overwatch or any other semi recent 3D game. Sure you will in DOTA2 or League of Legends, but what's the point?

Why would someone upgrade a perfectly working 144hz IPS, 27" or decent TN (with gsync, freesync, blur reduction, whatever) to buy a CS:Go monitor? Not worth $500. Plus if the 4.17ms persistence is what you are happy with, others can just enable blur reduction (if available) and crank the visual settings and AA super high and be sitting pretty at 120 or 144 FPS. Without needing to pay $500.

This monitor is good for someone coming from 60hz. For the rest of us, no, just no.

• Rep+
Reactions: smartshaded

·
Registered
594 Posts
Falkentype,

you are comparing 0.5ms to 1ms image persistence. If you are in sample and hold mode, that is effectively comparing a theoretical 1000Hz monitor to a theoretical 2000Hz monitor.

Yes it's hard to notice the difference in the amount of perceived eye tracking motion blur between 1000fps at 1000hz and 2000fps at 2000hz without using TESTUFO.

But thats not what Astreon said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astreon View Post

250hz vs 500hz is +100% and I'm positive you would not spot any sort of difference no matter how hard you tried. 144 vs 240 - maybe you would see some differences, but they would be on the edge of perception
In other words Astreon claims we can't see the difference between 4ms image persistence and 2ms image persistence !

And that's just taking persistence based eye tracking motion blur into account.

For some reason you haven't touched at all on the stroboscopic stepping artifact, which is pretty jarring (more jarring than eye tracking motion blur to me)

·
Registered
552 Posts
I can't tell if you guys are saying it's easy to tell the difference between 144-240 in actual perceived smoothness or as a result of the reduced blur.

I can't tell a smoothness difference once I go over 100-110hz.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryLobster View Post

I can't tell if you guys are saying it's easy to tell the difference between 144-240 in actual perceived smoothness or as a result of the reduced blur.
As a result of moving objects that are tracked by the eye being less blurry. (persistence based eye tracking motion blur)
And objects moving relative to the stare starting to look like they are demultiplied at a higher motion speed than before. (stroboscopic stepping)

·
Facepalm
8,608 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryLobster View Post

I can't tell a smoothness difference once I go over 100-110hz.
Did you completely IGNORE the picture I posted above?
it's SELF EXPLANATORY.

Yes the degree of reduction going from 120hz to 240hz is less than going from 60hz to 120hz because the numbers are getting smaller.
Once you get below 2ms persistence then differences become almost impossible to detect at very slow pix/sec movement speeds. Going from 1ms to 0.5ms, a 50% reduction, requires something like >2000 pix/sec to detect.

• Rep+
Reactions: smartshaded

·
Registered
66 Posts
Falkentyne

Hi!

The new BenQ ZOWIE monitors have Blur Reduction v 2? I'm willing to buy BenQ XL2430 or BenQ XL2720.

·
Facepalm
8,608 Posts
The rebrands are exactly identical to the Benq models. XL2430T=XL2430, XL2720Z=XL2720. All the exact same tweaks and VT Tweaks and AMA toggles work. The exact same gamer profile 1-3 preset bugs on the XL2430T are on the XL2430, as well as the messed up color vibrance; the firmware updates (006->007) are for Zowie rebranding only.

·
Registered
576 Posts
So guys , its not gonna replace the awful pg248q? And price will be up to 700euros like pg278q? Why a 1080p in 2017 is that expensive?
mad.gif
Guess is not gonna worth it for such a price , even if i still am at 60hz....

·
Registered
480 Posts
Typical Asus... been months since the announcement and still no product.

·
Registered
34 Posts
If theses scammers can make it where the colors don't degrade it will be great. I have the pg248q, and it degrades so badly at 180hz, I just keep it on 144hz. Even on 144hz, it's pretty bad. @ 120hz, colors look a lot better.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackstacker View Post

If theses scammers can make it where the colors don't degrade it will be great. I have the pg248q, and it degrades so badly at 180hz, I just keep it on 144hz. Even on 144hz, it's pretty bad. @ 120hz, colors look a lot better.
I have PG248Q and XL2540 (also native 240Hz like PG258Q and will be based on same panel). Colors, gamma and overall picture quality is far more better at [email protected] compared to [email protected]/180Hz. Not sure about 144Hz because i'm not so picky.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruimfine View Post

I have PG248Q and XL2540 (also native 240Hz like PG258Q and will be based on same panel). Colors, gamma and overall picture quality is far more better at [email protected] compared to [email protected]/180Hz. Not sure about 144Hz because i'm not so picky.
Nice. I didn't know about the XL2540. Benq seems to be a superior product overall. Now how do you compare the gsync 248a with the non gsync of xl2540. To me the gsync feels like something I have to have. For some, they can't even tell if gsync is even on.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Quote:

Now how do you compare the gsync 248a with the non gsync of xl2540. To me the gsync feels like something I have to have. For some, they can't even tell if gsync is even on.
I don't need g-sync at all. I play fast paced fps where I have stable consistent and to 250fps and tearing doesn't bother me. If I use g-sync a got crappy mouse input at 144Hz or 170Hz with PG248Q.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Quote:

Nice. I didn't know about the XL2540. Benq seems to be a superior product overall. Now how do you compare the gsync 248a with the non gsync of xl2540. To me the gsync feels like something I have to have. For some, they can't even tell if gsync is even on.
XL2540 does have freesync, well kinda. You can use custom CRU resolution editor to adjust custom freesync range. Monitor also has Blur reduction is actually pretty good but could be better. All of these features they are not marketed with the monitor which kinda understandable i guess if they are going for esport only because of input lag of Blur reduction and not sure about freesync really.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Ehhhh , nvidia is a ***** we need to pay 150-200 more for gsync and freesync is just free but i got a 980ti so .... Yeah pg248q is a 120hz panel native that means 144hz is an oc , some people that werent lucky reported scanlines at 144hz but in 160 and 180 it surely does... i can always notice a difference from a native to an oced panel , just some animations start to microstutter in games when oced and colours become worse. i would keep my screen always in native to be as stable as i can in my motion and colours. I will wait for the Pg258q and just pray not to have any backlight bleed , i mean it will be a 700 worth monitor cant have inperfections....

·
Registered
34 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonman44 View Post

Ehhhh , nvidia is a ***** we need to pay 150-200 more for gsync and freesync is just free but i got a 980ti so .... Yeah pg248q is a 120hz panel native that means 144hz is an oc , some people that werent lucky reported scanlines at 144hz but in 160 and 180 it surely does... i can always notice a difference from a native to an oced panel , just some animations start to microstutter in games when oced and colours become worse. i would keep my screen always in native to be as stable as i can in my motion and colours. I will wait for the Pg258q and just pray not to have any backlight bleed , i mean it will be a 700 worth monitor cant have inperfections....
I think my pg248q native is 100. For me it's beautiful there. I returned my 1st one, this is actually my 2nd pg248q. 240hz or at least 200hz will be fun to see if the colors don't degrade. Hopefully bestbuy will stock it.

21 - 40 of 445 Posts