Overclock.net banner

441 - 445 of 445 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
I don't want to Necro this thread but i finally tested the 240hz Alienware and i want to express my opinion compared to the Asu's model.

The manufacturer of this 2 panels is the same as we most of us already know and by no surprise they both have the same issues..

So

1) Pixel inversion , this vertical lines are exactly the same with the Asus model and by the same visibility. -Its a Draw......

2) Some clouding is apparently visible on both models with Dell being actually way worse than any Pg258q i tested , also the black levels of the dells are kinda grey compared to the Asus deeper blacks. -Asus clearly wins here.

3) Input lag , as others reported the dell feels just by a hair faster than the Asus only in desktop use BUT theres something suspicious as well , moving the cursor on darker images, the trails of the cursor were not clean white but kinda dirty with lines inside of them which i did not like but while gaming i could not perceive any difference as both of the screens felt exactly as responsive. -I will give this one on the Dell but take it with a grain of salt.

4) Design , both of them are made with the highest quality materials no doubt!

5) Colors , ehhh the dell is washed out compared to the Pg258q as the black levels are weaker and that effects the other colors as well but compared to the pg248q or the benq xl2411z its still better. -Asus wins here hands down.

6) Overshoot , i tested 2 monitors just to be sure on that but i was surprised to see that the dell had actually a little more overshoot than the Asus with overdrive set on Normal..... Smooth scrolling on the browser made this very noticeable on the letters that are on a white background. While gaming i could not notice any overshoot just like the Pg258q. -Its a draw

Honestly guys , the Pg258q keeps the title for me as it provides a higher quality panel + the color profiles + the joystick for quick OSD navigation, although i could recommend the Dell if you are on a budget and you want a 240hz no matter what.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Is the picture quality (mainly GAMA and high refresh rate tricks) as horribly bad as the PG248Q ?

The PG248Q is almost acceptable when running at 60hz. But its absolutely ****** at 144hz and incredibly *** ** ***** ***** at 180hz.

I saw the PG258Q running side to side with a PG248Q and the gama/blacks were much better on the 258. But i could not evaluate any further.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Is the picture quality (mainly GAMA and high refresh rate tricks) as horribly bad as the PG248Q ?

The PG248Q is almost acceptable when running at 60hz. But its absolutely ****** at 144hz and incredibly *** ** ***** ***** at 180hz.

I saw the PG258Q running side to side with a PG248Q and the gama/blacks were much better on the 258. But i could not evaluate any further.
The pg248q is pure trash! The pg258q has way better panel quality but still has some clouding issues with most likely minimal blb like every other tn out there. Also suffers from pixel inversion when moving horizontal.

In my opinion better wait for that 1440p 240hz 0.5ms that Auo has already announced ! In the end i sold mine and settled for an ultrawide , the 240hz benefit is far being outweighed from the cons of this display.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I don't want to Necro this thread but i finally tested the 240hz Alienware and i want to express my opinion compared to the Asu's model.

The manufacturer of this 2 panels is the same as we most of us already know and by no surprise they both have the same issues..

So

1) Pixel inversion , this vertical lines are exactly the same with the Asus model and by the same visibility. -Its a Draw......

2) Some clouding is apparently visible on both models with Dell being actually way worse than any Pg258q i tested , also the black levels of the dells are kinda grey compared to the Asus deeper blacks. -Asus clearly wins here.

3) Input lag , as others reported the dell feels just by a hair faster than the Asus only in desktop use BUT theres something suspicious as well , moving the cursor on darker images, the trails of the cursor were not clean white but kinda dirty with lines inside of them which i did not like but while gaming i could not perceive any difference as both of the screens felt exactly as responsive. -I will give this one on the Dell but take it with a grain of salt.

4) Design , both of them are made with the highest quality materials no doubt!

5) Colors , ehhh the dell is washed out compared to the Pg258q as the black levels are weaker and that effects the other colors as well but compared to the pg248q or the benq xl2411z its still better. -Asus wins here hands down.

6) Overshoot , i tested 2 monitors just to be sure on that but i was surprised to see that the dell had actually a little more overshoot than the Asus with overdrive set on Normal..... Smooth scrolling on the browser made this very noticeable on the letters that are on a white background. While gaming i could not notice any overshoot just like the Pg258q. -Its a draw

Honestly guys , the Pg258q keeps the title for me as it provides a higher quality panel + the color profiles + the joystick for quick OSD navigation, although i could recommend the Dell if you are on a budget and you want a 240hz no matter what.
So you recommend all the way the Pg258q instead the Alienware AW2518H?

Im between the pg258q, Alienware AW2518H, Acer Predator XB252Q or the DELL S2817Q, i know last one is 145hz/1440p, but i heard it has better colors?

Which one of them has better colors? i usually play shooters most of the time, cs:go, overwatch, but i want the best possible colors that a TN panel can provide.

So, any recomendation?

·
Registered
632 Posts
@Notty @gene-z @leonman44 I don't know, if it was clarified, but tftcentral and that russian site gene-z mentioned state PG258Q uses Q250HTA00 while Alienware, BenQ, Acer, AOC and all/most other 24.5 inch 240 Hz monitors use M250HTN01.0. displayspecifications.com shows the same. It seems Asus got a custom panel for whatever reason. However, I wouldn't fight too much about it. In my opinion AUO panel (TN, IPS, VA) aren't too great in general or don't seem to me. I never had one myself because I never read/saw convincing reviews. Maybe you take a look at LG's new Nano-IPS panel used in 34GK950G(nvidia)/34GK950F(amd). However, I don't want 21:9 ratio and also don't want to pay over 1,000 bucks for a monitor. I hope in 1-2 years there'll be a 16:9 version of that panel. It's not flawless, but it seems more uniform/mature overall or so. Might buy one of those 240 Hz monitors until then.

441 - 445 of 445 Posts