Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
*update*

After thorough testing, it turns out I simply have horrible luck and received 2 DoA mobos from the same batch. Hopefully third time will be the charm...

Hello everyone,

I'm basically at my wit's end. I recently purchased some new upgrades, including:

Asus rampage III extreme (I need help from someone who actually owns this mobo or knows it well enough to troubleshoot problems)
Silverstone 1500w PSU
new full tower
i7-950

After putting this build together, I fired her up only to find a blank black screen with a mobo that wouldn't go to post.

For the last *Four* days, i've tried everything to pin point the problem. I've brought it down to it's basic components (1GPU, 1 stick of ram, 1 HDD, and a monitor connected) with no luck. I've tried swapping out every single component (made sure RAM worked, swapped PSU's with one I knew worked, swapped GPU's, swapped HDDs) nothing worked.

I spoke with someone at tech support with newegg (where I ordered it from) and they said it sounded like the mobo was dead, so I RMA'd it and had a new one overnighted to me. put in the new one today (being extremely careful / grounded) and put in, once again, base components.

The same exact thing is happening now, blank black screen, won't post. All the mobo lights and case fans light up nicely the way they should, but it won't go to post.

I've been under the thought for awhile now that it must be something I'm doing wrong, because it's very unlikely I received 2 DOA boards in a row.

I used 2x 4pin connections, + the 24pin connection (should be the min. requirement to run the board with as few components as I have) I have all the front panel cables connected. I've tried resetting the CMOS - nothing worked.

There are 4 LED's on the mobo itself that are supposed to help you figure out where the problem lies, but the only LED that comes on is the CPU which blinks one time and turns off, and then the system just runs.... no beeps even though I have a speaker connected.

I have no clue where to go from here, and would rather not RMA again if it's my own cluelessness.

if ANYONE has this board and can tell me what setup works for them, or knows if I'm doing something wrong, please feel free to put in your two sense. It's such a bummer working on this thing for 4 days straight, spending plenty of money and time on a system that won't go to post. (my fingers are so sore from swapping cables so many times and testing all these different compoents).

I'm confident in this community, because I've seen some genius's on this site on other posts. This is my last stop for help, otherwise I might just give up on the rampage iii and go back to my evga x58 (wasn't the best overclocker).

Thanks in advance, and congrats if you read all of this (sorry i know I ramble but it's to prevent questions i've already addressed).

*update*

After thorough testing, it turns out I simply have horrible luck and received 2 DoA mobos from the same batch. Hopefully third time will be the charm...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,

I seem to be having the same problem. Just put everything together and it all lights up but no POST. Before I send it back is there anything you could suggest that I try?

Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think ASUS is having some quality control problems! I have the same issue - will not post. Brought the system down to just MB, CPU and Power supply, still no post code beep. I will be like the rest of you .....RMA.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Finished building up the beast last night...same thing for me...

all needed lights are on, fans are on,

no problem lights are lighted...

but black screen ;(

anybody solve this problem ?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just built my PC with a Rampage III Formula and am experiencing the same thing. I've swapped my video card with a basic (40$) AGP card I use for testing--same result. I tried removing all the RAM and booting and I get the "no RAM detected" beep (I read somewhere this indicates the CPU is OK) but when I add the memory back, nothing.
I thought it might be a power issue, so I tried disconnecting the two 4-pin/8-pin power cable, leaving only the 24-pin and booted again. Same result.

Darknlight mentioned the LEDs on the board that help you troubleshoot. I can't find these in the manual--does anyone have more information on this (or any other troubleshooting I can carry out)? I've left my HD's connected but don't see how this could effect POST...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebenweb;12734240
I just built my PC with a Rampage III Formula and am experiencing the same thing. I've swapped my video card with a basic (40$) AGP card I use for testing--same result. I tried removing all the RAM and booting and I get the "no RAM detected" beep (I read somewhere this indicates the CPU is OK) but when I add the memory back, nothing.
I thought it might be a power issue, so I tried disconnecting the two 4-pin/8-pin power cable, leaving only the 24-pin and booted again. Same result.

Darknlight mentioned the LEDs on the board that help you troubleshoot. I can't find these in the manual--does anyone have more information on this (or any other troubleshooting I can carry out)? I've left my HD's connected but don't see how this could effect POST...
OK, this is embarassing: simply had my RAM in the wrong slots. This board is a bit more finicky than my last one.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkShooter;12776807
i dont know if any of you noticed..
But this is AMD section
LOL

as regard to the no-post problems...after pressing the power button, does anything show up at all on the screen?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts