Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 1542 Posts

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I might as well start this thread now. Initially it will be sort of a placeholder as final specs are yet to be revealed.

What we know is; for starters there will be two ASUS Crosshair boards, the X670E HERO and the X670E EXTREME, here is a recent stream from Asus North America presenting both

The X670E EXTREME already has its own page at ASUS, but with not that much information so far:

ROG CROSSHAIR X670E EXTREME | ROG Crosshair | Gaming Motherboards|ROG - Republic of Gamers|ROG Global (asus.com)

Regarding the Zen 4 platform: we know it is built on TSMC 5nm for the chiplets and TSMC 6nm for the IO-die, the X670 chipset is probably built on 28nm by Asmedia but there is no official information on that. The X670E platform will use two of these Asmedia chipsets for extensive IO options. The cheaper B650 platform will use only one chipset.

Leaks so far has suggested that the initial launch will feature four CPU: s and take place on September 15 this fall

Ryzen 9 7950X 16-core/32-threads 170W TDP max 230W
Ryzen 9 7900X 12-core/24-threads 170W TDP max 230W
Ryzen 7 7700X 8-core/16-threads 105W TDP max 142W
Ryzen 5 7600X 6-core/12-threads 105W TDP max 142W

As seen, power is much higher than Zen 3, even though it's a more energy efficient manufacturing process. What that tells us is, clocks will be much higher than Zen 3 and indeed the leaks are stating a 4.5GHz base clock and a 5.7GHz boost clock for the 7950X. Some leaks are even saying boost will be 5.8GHz, it's possible AMD still hasn't decided the exact specs. Anyway, this is a rather big jump from Zen 3.

Motherboard makers will counter this in a similar way as they did with Intel Alder Lake, the new motherboards will have extreme power delivery. 20+2 x110A for the X670E EXTREME.

Other enhancements for the Zen 4 platform include higher IPC at the same frequency, ~10%, double the amount of on processor L2 cache up from 512kB to 1MB per core and a more efficient multithreading engine rendering a higher improvement for multithreading than for single thread. Most of the performance increase is expected to come from the much higher clocks though. Yet another leak stated L3 will be very fast, ~1500GB/s.
Oh, and I almost forgot, Raphael as Zen 4 has as its codename will feature AVX512 support which is absent on both Alder Lake and Raptor Lake. AVX512 renders a 20-60% performance increase in applications that supports it. The PS3 emulator is one well known program, but more exciting is Unreal Engine 5 has AVX512 support which means upcoming games may support it.

New features are
PCIE 5.0 for the graphics slot
PCIE 5.0 for NVME M.2 drives
DDR5 memory, no DDR4 option
AMD has said up to DDR5-5600 is officially supported, but DDR5-6400 is expected to work using new DDR OC-profiles which will come with AM5.

The new AM5 socket is expected to live for 5 years according to AMD, meaning at least Zen 5 and Zen 6 will still use the same socket. A "future proof" platform from the looks of it.
And there is Thunderbolt support from ASUS using an Intel chip. An Intel chip will also provide the latest Wi-Fi 6E. Marvell contributes with 10Gb networking.

Eventually there will be X3D variants of the Zen 4 processors, still unclear when and which models but a leak the other day suggested AMD has solved most of the OC problems when using 3D cache. These upcoming processors will be very exciting, I say this because my own 5800X3D with 4.55GHz max boost easily beats my 12900KF with 5.3GHz max boost in most games and that is considering Alder Lake even has slightly better IPC than Zen 3.

Anyway, this was just a quick starter, I will fill in with more information and thoughts as I gather it, everyone is free to do the same and let's hope this will be an exciting thread going forward :)

ROG CROSSHAIR X670E EXTREME
More specs to follow!
  • Intelligent Control: ASUS-exclusive tools including AI Cooling II, AI Networking, and Two-Way AI Noise-Cancelation for easy configuration.
  • Robust Power Solution: 20+2 teamed power stages rated for 110 A, MicroFine alloy chokes, premium metallic capacitors, and ProCool II power connectors.
  • Optimized Thermal Design: Large VRM heatsinks plus integrated aluminum I/O cover, ROG GEN-Z.2, high-conductivity thermal pad, five M.2 heatsinks, and dual M.2 with embedded backplates, and ROG Water-Cooling Zone.
  • High-Performance Networking: Onboard Wi-Fi 6E, Marvell® AQtion 10Gb, Intel® 2.5Gb Ethernet, and ASUS LANGuard.
  • Ultra-fast Connectivity: PCIe® 5.0, Gen 5 M.2 slots, USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 front-panel connector, USB4® ports.
  • Industry Leading Immersive Audio: ROG SupremeFX ALC4082 codec with ESS® ES9218PQ DAC for ultra-low distortion.
  • Unmatched Personalization: AniMe Matrix™ LED display, 2” LiveDash OLED, ASUS-exclusive Aura Sync RGB lighting, including one RGB header and three addressable Gen 2 RGB headers.
  • DIY Friendly Design: Pre-mounted I/O shield, PCIe slot Q-release, ROG True Voltician, BIOS FlashBack™, Q-Code, FlexKey, Q-Connector, M.2 Q-Latch, SafeSlot, and ROG graphics card holder
  • Renowned Software: Bundled 1-year AIDA64 Extreme subscription and intuitive UEFI BIOS dashboard.

Product Font Line Engineering Urban design

Light Product Black Font Technology

Font Automotive lighting Flash photography Space Technology

Font Technology Screenshot Software Multimedia

Light Black Font Line Technology

·
Gamer and overclocker !
3,409 Posts
Who will be the first ? 😀

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Who will be the first ? 😀
Yes, I wonder, looks like preorder isn't available yet. Probably because no one knows the prices. I heard Youtubers will get their review kits next week, I guess leaks will come at a steadily faster rate :)

·
Registered
4,999 Posts

·
Still kinda lost
3,845 Posts
The amount of USB ports is insane.
Yes yes, the board is good too.

• Rep+
Reactions: xeizo

·
Gamer and overclocker !
3,409 Posts
  • Rep+
Reactions: xeizo and Nizzen

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Create a thread 😉
Indeed, it's not a Crosshair board, it's a "Apex" board which btw has been Intel exclusive up to now. The two DIMM design will be optimal for memory OC. As we have seen on Intel so do not DDR5 like 4 sticks at high frequencies.

However, those opting for the X3D:s later on may not need the ultimate memory OC, at least for gaming, as any bandwidth issues will be mitigated by the 3D V-cache :)
(In example if you fancy 128GB RAM)

• Rep+
Reactions: GRABibus

·
Registered
168 Posts
  • Rep+

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As a sidenote, maybe the prospects for building an all-AMD rig are better than ever before

Goodbye Nvidia… - YouTube

Rectangle Font Material property Parallel Circle

If this is true, ADA is DOA and RTX30 will be old E-waste

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Same basic rumors about Ada vs. Ampere - and still the open questions about whether AMD is going to get their act together beyond rasterization or not.

Also, what benefit is there to an 'all AMD rig' aside from ego?
Probably none, but it's a cool concept, I haven't used a AMD card since Radeon R9 290X many years ago. And I wasn't happy with it, buggy hardware, buggy drivers. Hopefully that has changed.

But that wasn't the point, the point was those specs are insane for the price points, no matter which brand. If that will materialize into real world performance, if the specs are even true, is another story.

The most glaring spec about ADA, for what we know, is the very high power consumption

In the end, prices will matter the most, RTX4070 is rumored to perform ~10k in Time Spy Extreme. RTX3080 with slight OC does 9k, if RTX4070 is cheaper it's progress. But the new Radeon will perform like RTX3090 for 449$ which is way cheaper. If true. Truckloads of salt needed here.

edit. One thing though, X670 is said to support some variant of Direct Storage, which AMD gave a name I have forgotten, question is if that will be GPU vendor agnostic? AMD has a upper hand in having co-designed both major consoles and may have learnt a trick or two.

• Rep+
Reactions: LazyGamer

·
Registered
4,999 Posts
As a sidenote, maybe the prospects for building an all-AMD rig are better than ever before

Goodbye Nvidia… - YouTube

View attachment 2568456

If this is true, ADA is DOA and RTX30 will be old E-waste
I don't believe in AMD gpu's before I try it myself.
I didn't find AMD gpu suits me needs since 5870 :p I tried every top end AMD gpu since the start until now. 6900xt went out the window :p

Remember Fury X; the Titan killer... 😅

• Rep+

·
PC Evangelist
48,732 Posts
Cant wait to get the X670E Hero to replace Z690 Hero.

• Rep+

·
Premium Member
864 Posts
Probably none, but it's a cool concept, I haven't used a AMD card since Radeon R9 290X many years ago. And I wasn't happy with it, buggy hardware, buggy drivers. Hopefully that has changed.
Have an RX460 I bought as a spare card - it's been that and less. Most glaringly, as recent as last year AMDs drivers were crashing Adobe apps - prior to that, I'd tried to use the card in a machine running Windows Server, and apparently that isn't a thing AMD supports.

The cheapo 1050Ti I also had lying around? Stellar on both accounts. Still running strong.

Back to the present, I have a 5700XT that is used for case reviews - it's a 315W part that dumps a good amount of heat into the case, and that's what it's used for. However, I did game on it a bit, and can't say that I ran into any issues. Performance was great for older / less-demanding titles, and have had no problems with drivers etc.

But that wasn't the point, the point was those specs are insane for the price points, no matter which brand. If that will materialize into real world performance, if the specs are even true, is another story.
Rumors have us in for a surprise; at the same time, I'm still skeptical on availability. MSRPs on the previous gen are still generally lower than current retail prices on the lower end even today.

The most glaring spec about ADA, for what we know, is the very high power consumption
This is concerning somewhat, but not too much - it's a question of who 'fought the most for that last 5%' in my mind. There's already an advantage for the 6000-series out of the box today over Ampere. I have an FTW3 card that will absolutely pull 450W when asked, yet most of these cards from both companies can be successfully undervolted too. Same parallel with CPUs as well I think.

edit. One thing though, X670 is said to support some variant of Direct Storage, which AMD gave a name I have forgotten, question is if that will be GPU vendor agnostic? AMD has a upper hand in having co-designed both major consoles and may have learnt a trick or two.
The bigger issue here is the uptake. Even if AMDs implementation (insert Intel/Nvidia etc. here) is perfect, we're still not likely to see real use as seen on consoles. Just to point it out, Direct Storage really isn't going to be effective unless games are built around it, as on consoles, and if not, well, then games have to be built to work without it. Just like Nvidia with their lead in RT and DLSS, the leader is at a lowest common denominator disadvantage.

They've known a "trick or two" for a long time.
Agreed - I've seen the argument over and over that AMDs IP in consoles will afford them some advantage on the desktop, and have yet to see it materialize too. If anything, it would be nice to see the industry pushed forward as a result, but typically 'pushing forward' on the desktop means leaving consoles and their ever-dated internals behind.

·
PC Evangelist
48,732 Posts
SAS - Smart Access Storage
It suppose to be build on top of Direct Storage utilizing AMD hardware to further accelerate what ever the game is using Direct Storage for.

• Rep+

·
Invalid Media
10,826 Posts

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
WCCFTECH was busy this morning, with a X670 motherboard roundup

AMD X670E & X670 Motherboards Roundup Ft. ASUS, ASRock, MSI, Gigabyte, Biostar - Wccftech

They list Asus's launch boards:
ASUS ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme
ASUS ROG Crosshair X670E HERO
ASUS ROG STRIX X670-E WIFI Gaming
ASUS PRIME X670E-PRO WiFi
ASUS TUF Gaming X670-PLUS WiFi
ASUS ProArt X670-Creator WiFi

Gadget Audio equipment Font Display device Entertainment

and a new summary of Ryzen 7000

AMD Ryzen 7000 '5nm Zen 4' AM5 Desktop CPUs Specs, Performance, Price, & Availability - Everything We Know So Far - Wccftech

Interesting bit
"The other thing is that, unlike AMD's Navi 24 GPUs, the Ryzen 7000 iGPU based on the same RDNA 2 core architecture (but on a 6nm Rembrandt revision) will come with a VCN engine that supports both AV1 Video Encode and Decode. "

And expected prices:
CPU NAMEARCHITECTUREPROCESS NODECORES / THREADSCORE CLOCK (SC MAX)CACHETDPPRICE
AMD Ryzen 9 7950XZen 45nm16/32~5.5 GHz80 MB (64+16)105-170W~$700 US
AMD Ryzen 9 7900XZen 45nm12/24~5.4 GHz76 MB (64+12)105-170W~$600 US
AMD Ryzen 7 7800XZen 45nm8/16~5.3 GHz40 MB (32+8)65-125W~$400 US
AMD Ryzen 7 7700XZen 45nm8/16~5.3 GHz40 MB (32+8)65-125W~$300 US
AMD Ryzen 5 7600XZen 45nm6/12~5.2 GHz38 MB (32+6)65-125W~$200 US

And launch schedule
  • Product announcement: August 29, 2022 at 8:00PM ET / August 30, 2022 at 2:00AM CET / 8:00AM TW
  • Press embargo: September 13, 2022 at 9AM ET / 3PM CET / 9PM TW
  • Sales embargo: September 15, 2022 at 9AM ET / 3PM CET / 9PM TW
Gadget Rectangle Font Logo Multimedia

Rectangle Font Electric blue Circle Pattern

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
SAS - Smart Access Storage
It suppose to be build on top of Direct Storage utilizing AMD hardware to further accelerate what ever the game is using Direct Storage for.
Thanks, that was the name, well we will see if it will do anything good. Nothing much has happened on the desktop since Direct Storage was first announced.

1 - 20 of 1542 Posts