Overclock.net banner

ASUS ROG MAXIMUS XII EXTREME (Z490) Discussion & Owners Thread

102K views 771 replies 73 participants last post by  Celcius 
#1 · (Edited)

Intel® Socket 1200 for 10th Gen Intel® Core™, Pentium® Gold and Celeron® Processors
Supports Intel® 14 nm CPU
Supports Intel® Turbo Boost Technology 2.0 and Intel® Turbo Boost Max Technology 3.0**

4 x DIMM, Max. 128GB, DDR4 4800(O.C.)/4700(O.C)/4600(O.C)/4500(O.C)/4400(O.C)/4266(O.C.)/4133(O.C.)/4000(O.C.)/3866(O.C.)/3733(O.C.)/3600(O.C.)/3466(O.C.)/3400(O.C.)/3333(O.C.)/3200(O.C.)/3000(O.C.)/2933/2800/2666/2400/2133 MHz Non-ECC, Un-buffered Memory *
Dual Channel Memory Architecture
Supports Intel® Extreme Memory Profile (XMP)
OptiMem III

Supports NVIDIA 2-Way SLI® Technology
Supports AMD 3-Way CrossFireX™ Technology

Intel® 10th Gen Processors
2 x PCIe 3.0 x16 (x16 or dual x8)
Intel® Z490 Chipset
1 x PCIe 3.0 x4 *1

Total supports 4 x M.2 slots and 8 x SATA 6Gb/s ports
Intel® 10th Gen Processors :
1 x ROG DIMM.2 Module supports 2 M.2 Socket 3 , with M key, type 2242/2260/2280/22110 storage devices support (PCIE 3.0 x 4 mode)*2
Intel® Z490 Chipset :
1 x M.2_1 socket 3, with M Key, Type 2242/2260/2280 (PCIE 3.0 x4 and SATA modes) storage devices support*3
1 x M.2_2 socket 3, with M key, type 2242/2260/2280 storage devices support (PCIE 3.0 x 4 mode)
8 x SATA 6Gb/s port(s)
Support Raid 0, 1, 5, 10
Intel® Rapid Storage Technology supports
Intel® Optane™ Memory Ready

Intel® I225-V 2.5Gb Ethernet
Marvell® AQtion AQC107 10Gb Ethernet
ASUS LANGuard

Intel® Wi-Fi 6 AX201
2x2 Wi-Fi 6 (802.11 a/b/g/n/ac/ax) support 1024QAM/OFDMA/MU-MIMO
Supports up to 2.4Gbps max data rate
Supports dual band frequency 2.4/5 GHz
Supports channel bandwidth: HT20/HT40/HT80/HT160
Supports CNVI interface

Bluetooth v5.1*
*BT 5.1 function will be ready in Windows 10 build 19041 or later.

Rear USB Port ( Total 12 )
1 x USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 port(s)
3 x USB 3.2 Gen 2 port(s)(2 + Type-A +1 + USB Type-CTM)
6 x USB 3.2 Gen 1 port(s)(6 x Type-A)
2 x USB 2.0 port(s)(2 x Type-A)
Front USB Port ( Total 10 )
2 x USB 3.2 Gen 2 front panel connector port(s)
4 x USB 3.2 Gen 1 port(s)
4 x USB 2.0 port(s)

[highlight]VCORE + VCCGT + VCCSA + VCCIO, VCORE CONTORLLER, VCORE MOSFET, VCORE DESIGN
16+0+2+2, ASP1405I 8+0, 16*TDA21490 90A = 1440A, TEAMED[/highlight]

Form Factor: E-ATX
Launch BIOS Version: 0403
Latest Official BIOS: (ROG MAXIMUS XII EXTREME | ROG Maximus | Gaming Motherboards|ROG - Republic of Gamers|ROG Global)
Latest Official BETA BIOS: (Asus Z490 stuff)

Tool to disable OLED: TurnoffOLED.rar
In command window, 1 is turn off and 0 is turn back on.

Original Release Date: May 20, 2020

ROG MAXIMUS XII EXTREME | ROG Maximus | Gaming Motherboards|ROG - Republic of Gamers|ROG Global (Product Page)

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/.../E16774_ROG_MAXIMUS_XII_EXTREME_UM_V3_WEB.pdf (Manual English)

Maximus 12 series and i9 10900k overclocking guide and... (Falkentyne Overclocking Guide and Tech Sheet)

See less See more
#2 ·
I really wished that my Maximus Formula used the EATX format too.. so much crammed into that ATX format.

#3 ·
EATAX should be more common. It allows for more features on the board. The Extreme is a perfect example. 2 internal type C USB, 2 internal USB 3.0, etc.

#4 ·
it's either this board or the Aorus Extreme. Hmm.. decisions..

#6 ·
So having owned the Aorus Z390 Master, I will explain why I chose to go ASUS this time:

1) The Aorus Extreme Z490 was actually a bit more expensive than the ASUS Z490 Extreme
2) I chose the Gigabyte Z390 Master last time because they had by far the best quality boards and heatsinks
3) While Gigabyte has improved their BIOS, there were still issues with the Gigabyte Z390 board BIOSs, and even to this day there are still issues not resolved
4) ASUS has significantly improved their design for Z490. They got a lot of criticism for Z390 and have listened
5) The ASUS Z490 Extreme has more fan headers, more SATA ports (8), more internal USB C and USB 3.0 headers, the extra slot for NvMe, and has the awesome ASUS BIOS

#5 ·
Hi,
Prices are insane last I saw on newegg
Only hope is apex for around 5-600.us I'm sure not buying a 7-1200.us board vrm/ pch water block or not lol :)

#10 ·
I bought one :) too bad the damn CPUs haven’t gone on sale yet! Anyone order already?

#35 · (Edited)
Hi,
Another dripping release by intel
10980xe limited release never showed up anywhere except preorder
Same goes for 10900k except I never saw a preorder just coming soon get on alerts
R20 looking like 6400 at 5.3 6400 so far that's a little lower than my 7900x at 6438
But yes apex 400.us but no vrm water block yet either although formula comes with an ek vrm block.
4k amd it is.

#11 ·
I have both the Maximus XII Extreme and 10900K on preorder from Newegg. The cpu preorder went out of stock quickly.

#12 ·
i hear that! i woke up after checking the night before and was 2 hours to late. crazy to me that it sold out before folks even woke up.

#13 · (Edited)
I'm surprised Intel allowed early pre-orders for the CPUs, actually. Newegg US was the only one and they only did it May 13 for a short time and haven't since. I bet they weren't supposed too. It is going to be interesting if they will be able to produce enough CPUs to keep up with demand. Plenty of mobos to pick from, but kinda useless if you can't get the CPU you want. Amazon hasn't listed them yet.

#14 ·
FYI, the Newegg US store having orders for the i9-10900K was indeed an error and was not suppose to happen. There are reports Newegg US is either cancelling or holding orders that got through.

#15 ·
I was one of the lucky ones to get a pre-order thru and it's still pending as of this post so here's hoping that it goes through this time tomorrow

#21 ·
but hooooow who did ya order from? jelly lol new egg hasn't said anything about it yet

#17 ·
My 10900k preorder from Newegg has shipped! My MXIIE has not. Never thought I'd get the CPU before the motherboard.

#19 ·
Finishing up an overclocking guide. It will be posted when the embargo expires.

#22 ·
Newegg has them available now. Mine is in packaging.

#23 ·
Yep! same! mine is shipping now. too bad i wont get my CPU till saturday or next week waaaah

#24 ·
It appears ASUS has the best mobos at launch. Reports of buggy BIOS from MSI, Gigabyte. Intel review kits were sent with ASUS boards. And it looks like the Extreme is doing very well:

#29 ·
ASUS, including other mobo makers are being given a bit more free reign from Intel and apparently will be releasing in the future BIOSs that unlock even more performance and extending the timings for boosts clocks.

#33 ·
Formula not High End enough for the thread? ;-)

Do you know which of the boards gets the new bios first?
Hero or Extreme?

#34 ·
Just want to point out that if you use the Dimm.2 slot at all, your gpu will go down to 8x pci-e 3.0.

This is the only thing bothering me about this board. The Apex version Dimm.2 slot goes off of the chipset lanes allowing your gpu to be at 16x pci-e 3.0.

I do have an intel 905p pcie card, so that helps. But with my current Rampage Apex, I do use the dimm.2 slot for storage. Just have to use the M.2 slot under the heatsink or an add in M.2 pci adapter if I want to keep my storage.

Still looking to purchase the Apex too when I can though.

#36 ·
That is true re: the DIMM.2 slot on this board. However, on the Extreme both normal M.2 slots do not take bandwidth away from the full PCIE slots. The Extreme has 8 SATA ports instead of the usual 6. So the normal M.2 slots if used only take bandwidth away from 1 SATA slot and the small PCIE slot, depending which one you use.

IMHO, the DIMM.2 slot is not what I would use at all. It is really just extra if you need more than 2 M.2 slots.

#37 · (Edited)
People need to understand what I/O voltage (VCCIO) and SA Voltage (VCCSA) are and why, when you are overclocking memory, you MUST raise IO/SA voltages,
and why you should not be too afraid of high IO/SA voltages.

The IMC is powered by a voltage rail (much like other rails) and there is a relationship between VCCIO and VCCSA, much like there is a relationship between
AC Loadline and DC Loadline / VRM Loadline.

One functions are pre-output buffers and the other functions on post output buffers, much like AC Loadline functions on CPU *REQUEST* voltage,
and VRM Loadline functions on CPU *DELIVERED* voltage (DC Loadline is a prediction of the VR VOUT, used for power measurements, VRM Loadline is the actual vdroop,
set at intel default and tuned by loadline calibration, etc)....

So there is a relationship between them, and why IO/SA should be close to each other, much like ACLL and DCLL should match each other also.
Although VCCIO is a special case since it also drives the shared L3 cache, and this gets even more tricky because the IMC controls hyperthreading,
and hyperthreaded CPU cores function with virtualized instruction registers that are stored in a "L0" or level zero cache--the L0 cache is the
virtualized instruction register store. Also this is why at higher memory speeds, you often need to increase CPU VCORE to keep your CPU stable, or increase IO/SA, or your CPU hyperthreading
will be unstable...does this make sense?

Have any of you ever wondered why you don't usually get CPU Cache L0 errors if hyperthreading is disabled? And no System Service Exceptions, etc---but instead the application crashes
if your vcore is too low, or you just get 0x101 (Clock watchdog) or 0x124 (WHEA uncorrectable) BSOD's? Well there you go...

So there is no Intel spec limit on VCCIO, but VCCSA has a 1.52v limit. Same as Vcore (without VRM Serial VID offset mode enabled, which is VRM command 33h, an IMPV8 command),
But you see, 1.520v VID is based on default loadlines being respected (In other words, Vdroop is GOOD, boys), and then the -1.6mv / amp curve (9900k) or -1.1mv /A for 10900k etc...
So as amps go up, the VID goes down...etc etc....so 245 amps on 10900k becomes 1.250v load voltage...
Although I am not sure how the 1.720v VID limit for offset mode functions (command 33h allows up to 200mv of higher VID)---maybe this is for sub-zero crowd...I know nothing about this...

Anyway, even if you still think 1.520v with max vdroop (intel spec) is still bad, you can't do anything about it anyway, because AC Loadline (e.g., default AC Loadline like used on H chip series laptops) of 1.1 mOhms *WILL* Boost the VID up to 1.520v anyway and not even tell you. Because AC Loadline will boost base VID (You can find this at idle---set AC/DC Loadline to 0.01 mOhms first, boot windows and look at HWinfo64),
up depending on current, like this:

Vcore = vCPU + (ACLL mOhms * Amps). before vdroop. So if your vCPU is 1.210v at idle @ 30C, you try to draw a 245 amp Prime95 load
in offset mode with +0mv (or Auto or adaptive vcore with +0mv offset), your AC Loadline will ASK FOR A VOLTAGE FROM THE VRM of:

1210mv + (245 * 1.1 mOhm) =1479mv or 1.479v IF YOUR CPU IS AT 30C. So the CPU will ask for 1.479v from VRM at 30C. At 80C this will be higher (vCPU rises higher as temp rises, 1.55mv every C, or -1.55mv every C, starting at 100C and going down, at x52 multiplier I think) --probably 1.520v if VRM command 33h is off, because the VID cap will be 1.520v max. And this is intel spec so no need to be so scared.

But this is only half of the formula. You forgot about VRM Loadline.
VRM Loadline of 1.1 mOhms is intel spec also, same as ACLL:
So now you have vdroop to bring the voltage back down:
1.1 mOhm * 245A.....=269mv of vdroop....

1520mv - 269mv = 1.250v....so your CPU is at 1.250v max safe voltage at 245A...intel spec.
THIS IS WHY HAVING NO VDROOP IS BAD...IF YOU HAD NO VDROOP WITH THIS SPEC YOU WOULD BE 1.520V LOAD @ 245A....SEE ?

But let's go to VCCSA with this.

As you can see you can't destroy your System Agent by using no vdroop at 1.520v Bios set voltage, like you can your CPU, because some fool thought no vdroop is good, when you are violating Intel's loadline spec and generating terrible transient ripple (read: https://elmorlabs.com/index.php/2019-09-05/vrm-load-line-visualized/ )

Because there is no loadline specification for VCCSA for you to destroy anyway. So you are not insta-breaking your IMC by using 1.50v system agent.
VCCIO is similar.

Now think of CPU scaling here and that VCCIO and VCCSA are signal power rails...
Let's say your CPU needs:

1.250v for 5 ghz core
1.450v for 5 ghz ring ratio
1.55-1.60v for 5 ghz DDR RAM ratio...
1.40v VCCSA for 4400 mhz DDR RAM
1.65v VCCSA for 5 ghz DDR RAM

IO and SA are affected too so you may need 1.4v+ for 4400 mhz +. See?
This is normal. And there is also a frequency point where the voltage you need to run faster frequency gets more steep

Like:
1.012v for 4.7 ghz
1.043v for 4.8 ghz
1.083v for 4.9 ghz
1.124v for 5.0 ghz
1.180v for 5.1 ghz
1.235v for 5.2 ghz
1.335v for 5.3 ghz....

The same thing happens with memory frequency, just not so sharp. But DDR 4400 + requires scaling IO/SA too. But not as sharp scaling for DDR voltage etc.
Hope you guys will understand this.

#38 ·
Very helpful. I don't think a lot of people even bother to monitor CPU Cache L0 errors. They really should. Because even if you are stable, you may not really be stable. And if you let CPU Cache L0 errors happen, you will get things like random crashes, stutters in games.

#39 ·
So the 10900K is not in stock anywhere except fleabay. Was about to bite the bullet and pay $800 for it (ugh) when I go to Newegg and see that this board (Maximus XII Extreme) is also out of stock. Talk about a sign! :rolleyes:

At this rate, I don't think I'll ever be building a new rig. :mad:

I just looked at my order history on Amazon and realized that my current X99 system with the 6950X was from Nov. 2014 (RVE mobo) and June 2016 (CPU)!! The only thing I've been upgrading every year are the GPUs and monitors.

Been trying to get the 10980Xe since Dec. 2019 and that's not in stock anywhere either.

#40 ·
The mobos are regularly coming back into stock. The 10900k is more rare. Its all supply and demand. Just have to keep checking multiple times a day and get lucky!

#48 ·
Two dual rank stick kits in 4x16 GB in all four slots at 4000? Should work, considering my 2x16 GB 3200 mhz gskills booted up just fine at 3600 with 1T, when 1T wouldn't even POST at 3466 on Z390...
I'd say your chances are good.

#53 ·
I plan to sli 1080tis until September and new nvidia card is out, justo got a used 1080ti on the cheap, it seems from the m12 extreme manual that it does not include a sli bridge, does anyone knows for certain which one is needed ? From the pics, it might be that I can reuse the one from the m10 apex.

#55 ·
Finally got my 10900k and Extreme built today. I forgot how detailed ASUS BIOS is. Now time to tweak.

#57 ·
any minute now my 10900k will ship :( any minute...

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.