Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 291 Posts

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just ordered this board to get away from the nightmare im having (and others too) with mem clocking on the tomahawk MSI board. I thought I saw a thread several days ago with shamino posting bioses for this board to fix mem issues, etc.. It is my understanding that 0707 is currently the bios to use for 2x16gb setups, is this correct? Ill be using my Gskill 3600 2x16gb CL14 sticks with the hopes of a G1 4000 overclock @ CL15 like I was doing on my Z590 setup with these same sticks. MSI couldnt go over 3600 AT ALL. Z690 on DDR4 must be a totally different beast cause this ram on z490/z590 clocked amazing.. Just hoping to get this speed back and dont see why I cant. ASUS pull through for me please!!!

EDIT Re named the topic and hope to have peoples' OC results and any and all things related to this board please post in here.....

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
anyone have any luck clocking 4x16gb b-die ram on this board yet?

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
new bios dropped for this board 0807... anyone have input on it yet? 0707 still the "go to" for DR dimms?

·
Premium Member
1,671 Posts
I would still go with 707 from what I have seen. Hurry up and get that thing going. I wanna see how this goes.........I am thnking it will do better but if not you got one of the worst IMCs yet lol. I wanna know which it is ;)

I still havent tried 807 or 808 myself. Most of the feedback I have read has been negative. But I do believe each person need to test/try a new bios for themself(as there as so many variables between systems). I just dont have a need as currently running 4133c15 2x16 with no issues on bios 707.

Edit Updated with a link to my setting in a txt file and cmo if you or someone else want to check it out. It is some manual timings and voltages. The CPU OC(AI Optimized) could probably be better with manual setting but I havent got to that yet.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thank you very much brother, much appreciated. I also appreciate posting in this thread as the other thread goes way off topic to fast, atleast here this is ONLY for this board. I get off shift at 0800 and will be home by 10 and BELIEVE ME, i cant wait to start trying out this board, so you'll be the first to know my results. Hope this board fixes all my issues as I cant wait to finally re-install my 3090, fill up that loop and continue back with life again. Im glad ive decided to use the iGPU during all this as its made it so much easier to get around to the mem slots, and being a former MSI Z690 board owner, we all know that was needed for troubleshooting! thanks again for all your help (y)

• Rep+
Reactions: bscool

·
Registered
385 Posts
I think you will like this board. I last used ASUS with my 7700k on a Maximus Hero IX I think for z270. I went to Gigabyte for a few AMD CPUS from 2019 to 2021 and then back to the z690-a. The BIOS options that ASUS bakes in are incredible compared to the paltry offerings from Gigabyte and their BIOSes. So far 0707 has been the most stable for me but I am still testing. I ran 0807 for a day and it seemed like using identical memory settings on 0707 and 0807 caused 0807 to error faster. I also had only one of the PCIE Root WHEA warning 17 messages on 0807 and never had on on 0707. Also, the built in AI Optimizer overclocking tool in the BIOS is legit. I love manually tweaking but damn this AI got me 95% of the way there by flipping just a few switches. My SP 73 12700k is comfortably boosting to 5.4 ghz on up to 3 cores using a +1 bin on the OCTVB and runs all-core 5.1/3.9.

• Rep+
Reactions: bscool

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would still go with 707 from what I have seen. Hurry up and get that thing going. I wanna see how this goes.........I am thnking it will do better but if not you got one of the worst IMCs yet lol. I wanna know which it is ;)

I still havent tried 807 or 808 myself. Most of the feedback I have read has been negative. But I do believe each person need to test/try a new bios for themself(as there as so many variables between systems). I just dont have a need as currently running 4133c15 2x16 with no issues on bios 707.

Edit Updated with a link to my setting in a txt file and cmo if you or someone else want to check it out. It is some manual timings and voltages. The CPU OC(AI Optimized) could probably be better with manual setting but I havent got to that yet.

Ok, UPDATE!! So far i'm extremely happy with this board. Basic memory settings applied and pretty much "just works" FINALY. My only question is what settings can I adjust/re-adjust for better latency? MSI words the memory options a little different, so i couldnt copy/paste my settings, but ive set pretty much the common ones:
tREFI 65535
tFAW 16
tRFC 320
15/15/15/32 Timings 2t Gear Mode 1
I cant get Asrock timing app to work properly otherwise id show you a mem settings pic. What app can I use to show mem settings? Pretty happy tho, finally have a board to clock my mem like my z490/z590 boards did. Please let me know what settings you'd adjust to tweak a little further?! Appreciate you greatly.

Blue Font Rectangle Electric blue Screenshot

·
Registered
385 Posts
  • Rep+
Reactions: newls1

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got it down to 43.9ns with applied OC. Im getting happier!! What settings can you see that need further adjustment? Appreciate any help!!

Blue Azure Font Screenshot Electric blue

• Rep+
Reactions: schuldig and bscool

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
experimenting with "adaptive mode" for cpu vcore/cache.. I set it to adaptive and the "-" symbol then "auto" for offset voltage applied. In windows I get the normal fluctuation of vcore of .600-1.412v .. Under a loop load of CB R23, voltage stays steady @ 1.412v for all 8P cores @ 5.3 and all 8E cores @ 4.2. IS this to much voltage for alder lake? Hottest temp was Low 80's Most stayed in the mid 70's

·
Premium Member
1,671 Posts
Man I got tricked by that download posted date, just installed and saw the date actual bios. Oh well. So far testing seems about the same as others. For me 707 was the best. Probably just stay on this 808 since it is already installed.

Edit error on 808 about 15 min into memtest. Back 707 it looks like.

·
Registered
24 Posts
In Bios 0808 for Strix Z690-A D4 is also old 0x12 Intel microcode, what is going on by Asus!? In the older Beta Bios 0803 is the newer 0x15! The same problem exists with the new official 0807 Version, also the old 0x12 microcode!

·
Premium Member
1,671 Posts
In Bios 0808 for Strix Z690-A D4 is also old 0x12 Intel microcode, what is going on by Asus!? In the older Beta Bios 0803 is the newer 0x15! The same problem exists with the new official 0807 Version, also the old 0x12 microcode!
Does the newer microcode perform better? I never compared them. I did see a post recently by @shamino1978 about the newer mc is not always better.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Does the newer microcode perform better? I never compared them. I did see a post recently by @shamino1978 about the newer mc is not always better.
Security fixes and more in new microcodes. Asus is writing on the page from the board there is new microcode in the new official bios 0807, but this is not truth! In Bios 0807 is the same microcode as in the old 0707, in both versions is Version 0x12! In Beta Bios 0803 it is the newest 0x15! Also in 0808 is the old 0x12!

1 - 20 of 291 Posts