Overclock.net banner

3081 - 3100 of 6058 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Got to give @shamino1978 a big thanks for this bios (y)(y) Got a CH8 with a 3950x and this bios has brought me much lower temps, plus i'm seeing 4.73Ghz on cores 0 and 1 along with 4.7Ghz on cores 3,4,5 and 7 in single threaded CB R20. Also seeing all cores at 4.15Ghz/4.18Ghz in multi threaded CB R20 as well.
A win win all round, looking forward to seeing PBO Fmax Enhancer within official Bios releases from Asus in the future.

·
Premium Member
2,749 Posts
Given that statement, isn't the ROG Crosshair VIII Impact part of the same family as the ROG Crosshair VIII Hero and Formula? The Impact also got the same beta BIOS releases as the Hero/Formula in the past but not for this latest beta BIOS.

The ITX Strix is also part of the "ROG Strix" lineup, although I can see it being a non-ROG board as it's not part of the Crosshair lineup.

Ah that's a shame. I guess we just have to be patient for now, but I'm jealous of not being able to try out that new feature.
I know full well from my own experience, how frustrating the bios release cycle time to time seems to be.
It's really not like that the ODMs, be it ASUS or whoever are holding back the releases on purpose. The fact is, that the software engineers who work on the bioses
are extremely overworked, regardless of the company. A brute-force approach of throwing more people at the problem usually won't work, since the work tends increase at the same rate as the amount of workers, at the minimum, since the people who sanction the additional labour now see that more motherboard SKUs can be supported (and had) ;)

Because of this, bios builds intended for testing a new feature, fix or new AGESA version are built on demand, for the specific boards (projects). While all of the e.g. Crosshair VIII -family boards belong to same family and have their bios releases pretty much in a sync, it doesn't mean that a single change is needed to reflect the change in the bios, or that a single mouse click will produce bios binaries for all of the boards. Each of the boards, be it C8H, C8HW, C8F or C8I is a separate project and the code changes and bios builds must and will be done separately to each of them. So its really not like the ODMs are holding back "the goods" just for fun, or for being lazy.

I'll see what can be done regarding the C8I bios.

·
Premium Member
2,749 Posts
Disabling df cstates not hit performance, what is this "df cstates". when disabling c-states performance stall and effiency hit too. Anybody know?
I really wonder what the DF CState option is doing in the background.
At this point it is pretty pointless to speculate of what exactly is the actual cause behind the phenomenon or the fix.

The CPU cores have CC6 State, PC6 State and C-State Boost feature that are required for the power gating and the boost to work properly.
Disabling the "Global C-State Control" option will neutralize all of these and more, and hence it affects the efficiency and the performance of the actual CPU cores negatively.
Meanwhile the "DF CState" option, that is the current suggested workaround, alone will not touch any of the three features, and hence it has no effect either on the efficiency or the performance of the CPU cores. It will have a minor impact on the fabric power consumption at idle, but we're talking about a change from around 7W to 8W or so.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Please just let me add this despite being off topic. ;)

I'd be willing to test a beta BIOS for my ROG STRIX B550-F.
At least as long as it won't brick my board or instantly kill any components.
Anything else I wouldn't complain, since you can flash it back without even getting into BIOS or anything.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I know full well from my own experience, how frustrating the bios release cycle time to time seems to be.
It's really not like that the ODMs, be it ASUS or whoever are holding back the releases on purpose. The fact is, that the software engineers who work on the bioses
are extremely overworked, regardless of the company. A brute-force approach of throwing more people at the problem usually won't work, since the work tends increase at the same rate as the amount of workers, at the minimum, since the people who sanction the additional labour now see that more motherboard SKUs can be supported (and had) ;)

Because of this, bios builds intended for testing a new feature, fix or new AGESA version are built on demand, for the specific boards (projects). While all of the e.g. Crosshair VIII -family boards belong to same family and have their bios releases pretty much in a sync, it doesn't mean that a single change is needed to reflect the change in the bios, or that a single mouse click will produce bios binaries for all of the boards. Each of the boards, be it C8H, C8HW, C8F or C8I is a separate project and the code changes and bios builds must and will be done separately to each of them. So its really not like the ODMs are holding back "the goods" just for fun, or for being lazy.

I really appreciate it! thanks

·
Registered
157 Posts
At this point it is pretty pointless to speculate of what exactly is the actual cause behind the phenomenon or the fix.

The CPU cores have CC6 State, PC6 State and C-State Boost feature that are required for the power gating and the boost to work properly.
Disabling the "Global C-State Control" option will neutralize all of these and more, and hence it affects the efficiency and the performance of the actual CPU cores negatively.
Meanwhile the "DF CState" option, that is the current suggested workaround, alone will not touch any of the three features, and hence it has no effect either on the efficiency or the performance of the CPU cores. It will have a minor impact on the fabric power consumption at idle, but we're talking about a change from around 7W to 8W or so.
im testing that df cstate on/off it's seems i can go further cpu ovverdrive 75mzh and no need llc. when turn df cstate on i can go only 25mhz, performance not different. and another point, df cstate on my cores hit 4791mzh when disabled, it hit 4766mzh. And i can use scalar 1x and 2x withouht llc when df cstate off, when on i need llc if use scalar

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hello all. I am currently on BIOS 1302 with a Crosshair VIII Hero WiFi and a 3900X, with 64GB G.Skill 3600MHz RAM,G Skill F4-3600C19-16GTRS. This memory is not on the memory list for this board. I had been having Kernel Power reboots for a long time prior to going back to 1302, and could never solve them. Even on 1302, I was still seeing them if I only used the DOCP settings for the memory. At default settings, everything worked. However, using the Ryzen Memory Calculator, I have been able to get stable 3600MHz operation. I am not doing any other overclocking. I am wondering if the new BIOS from shamino will offer enough benefits to make it worthwhile to use? Here are my settings from Ryzen Master:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Oh, I am also only using a few of the basic settings from the Ryzen Calculator. Here is the entire calculator page. Another question I have is whether it would be worthwhile to tweak any of the other settings, such as PBO, any other overclocking, etc. I am using a Noctual D15-S cooler, and live in a hot country.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Oh, I am also only using a few of the basic settings from the Ryzen Calculator. Here is the entire calculator page. Another question I have is whether it would be worthwhile to tweak any of the other settings, such as PBO, any other overclocking, etc. I am using a Noctual D15-S cooler, and live in a hot country. View attachment 2460272
i think new bios beta 0039 is worth upgrade, its lower temps voltages, and cpu behavior is better. Pbo fmax add ur cpu single core performance more performance. I use 0039 since release and i works very well.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hello all. I am currently on BIOS 1302 with a Crosshair VIII Hero WiFi and a 3900X, with 64GB G.Skill 3600MHz RAM,G Skill F4-3600C19-16GTRS. This memory is not on the memory list for this board. I had been having Kernel Power reboots for a long time prior to going back to 1302, and could never solve them. Even on 1302, I was still seeing them if I only used the DOCP settings for the memory. At default settings, everything worked. However, using the Ryzen Memory Calculator, I have been able to get stable 3600MHz operation. I am not doing any other overclocking. I am wondering if the new BIOS from shamino will offer enough benefits to make it worthwhile to use? Here are my settings from Ryzen Master: View attachment 2460266
I don´t know if this counts here under offtopic.
Anyways. I just see your VSOC is way to high. max is 1.2v your is around 1.363v. PPL suggest max 1.15v for daily use.
Try to stick with all recommend settings from your dram calculator screenshot and do a karhu test for stability check.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Seriously??? Go back in this thread a couple of pages and do it yourself.

EDIT, original post updated as I was replying.
Seriously.. ?? Did you read the post above yours ?? I found it myself...

show your frustration to your loved ones and not to me. if you cant help. please mind your business.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I upgraded to the beta but I see performance going down hill on CPUZ :(

2206 Bios

The beta from the link

I wanted to test it as I heard its core to core speed has increased and its faster :/

I tried again pushing ram to 3466mhz and this Bios easily lets me :) But why is CPU performance going down ?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I don´t know if this counts here under offtopic.
Anyways. I just see your VSOC is way to high. max is 1.2v your is around 1.363v. PPL suggest max 1.15v for daily use.
Try to stick with all recommend settings from your dram calculator screenshot and do a karhu test for stability check.
Okay. Not sure where that is even configured, and I did not change it. Most of the voltages are set on AUTO, except for the DDR voltage, which the DOCP set to 1.35v. Where in the BIOS would I configure this?

EDIT: Okay, I found it under External Digi - Power Control. Changed it to 1.05. It was on AUTO, so my guess is the DOCP configuration changed it? Good catch - thank you!

I may try out the BETA BIOS and not use DOCP, but just set it up manually.

·
Registered
157 Posts

·
( ━☞´◔‿ゝ◔`)━ ☞
6,561 Posts
C8i version:

Thank you!!! I will get to testing it out tonight.

I do admit I was assuming each family of boards were based off the same base code, but I know almost nothing when it comes to building a bios. Thank you for the explanation and insight on the process. Next time I feel impatient, I will remember this post. (y)

·
Registered
21 Posts
My experience with 0039 beta bios is not good, have just flashed back to 1302.
Specs: Windows 10 latest updates, C8HW, 3950X (batch 2019 week 35), 280mm AiO, 2070S FE, RM750x and 64GB Dominator CMT64GX4M4C3200C16.
Initial settings all auto except: DOCP, PBO Fmax enabled, +75MHz, Scalar 2x, dram overclocked to 3600 16-19-19-39. All looked well including cpu-z bench (increase) and AIDA memory bench (about same, latency tad higher though), but I couldn't start CB20 (error). And both AIDA FPU tests didn't work (result was 0 for FPU32 and a BSOD for FPU64).
After that I disabled the dynamic power mngt for the Data Fabric and dialed back the overclock to +25MHz. BSOD
Reduced memory speed to DOCP 3200MHz. BSOD
Scalar and overclock to auto: BSOD
Overclock to 0MHz (just in case): BSOD
Even with PBO Fmax disabled it was not stable.

Temperatures where lower according to HWiNFO. Normal (i.e. with bios 1302) idle around 29-34°C, with 0039 as low as 26-28°C. Under load also lower. Clocks boosted indeed higher, both single and multicore, perhaps a bit too much for an early batch 3950X?

My last update was to BIOS 1302 beginning this year and all was 100% stable, including the memory overclock. Never tried newer BIOS versions, but this PBO Fmax functionality made me very curious. But alas.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Try Cinebench comparison, better reflex than CPUZ test :)

3081 - 3100 of 6058 Posts