Overclock.net banner

721 - 740 of 3754 Posts

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I posted this on AMD community forums too, but here is just how stupid PBO is being with these Agesa revisions:

1st one: Manual with CCX0 clocked to 4.6ghz, voltage set to 1.4625v LLC Auto. Easily holds 4600mhz nearly entire test in the 1st core, 42c average

2nd and 3rd: PBO with limits removed. Bounces between 1st and 3rd core constantly, averaging 46c with voltage set typically around 1.48v. HWiNFO shows a higher peak than Ryzen Master shows, but I'm going to say Ryzen master is in the right here. Peaks at slightly above 4400mhz which is in line with the scores I get with PBO on.

thread on community forums: https://community.amd.com/thread/242812

Attachments

·
Registered
294 Posts
I posted this on AMD community forums too, but here is just how stupid PBO is being with these Agesa revisions:

1st one: Manual with CCX0 clocked to 4.6ghz, voltage set to 1.4625v LLC Auto. Easily holds 4600mhz nearly entire test in the 1st core, 42c average

2nd and 3rd: PBO with limits removed. Bounces between 1st and 3rd core constantly, averaging 46c with voltage set typically around 1.48v. HWiNFO shows a higher peak than Ryzen Master shows, but I'm going to say Ryzen master is in the right here. Peaks at slightly above 4400mhz which is in line with the scores I get with PBO on.

thread on community forums: https://community.amd.com/thread/242812
+Rep for sharing! :thumb:

EDIT: @1usmus has just released the new version of Ryzen DRAM Calculator, v1.6.1:

Changelog:

* NEW. Graph of random access to caches and DRAM. Please note , that the testing process may take several minutes.
* NEW. FreezKiller - software that will make your frame rate as smooth as possible without sacrificing performance. New iteration of cleaning Standby caches without jerking. Just click the "Start" button, minimize the application and launch your game.
* NEW. Samsung b-die , Hynix CJR and Micron E-die presets. Particular attention was paid to memory, which is based on Micron E-die chips.
* Updated Memtest mode, the application will automatically configure all the parameters individually for your system in 1 click (just select MEMbench mode -> Memtest).
* Improved support for 4 DIMM's.
* Overclocking potential DRAM received an update (tab "Advanced").
* Correction MEMbench algorithms. In some cases, you will get better results.
* Included libraries for improved compatibility with some versions of Windows.
* Bug fixes.

Download:
Techpowerup link
Guru3d link
Сomputerbase.de link
Techspot link

Cheers!

• Rep+
Reactions: MacG32

·
Registered
93 Posts
Which one is a better config in terms of max overclock/throughput/latency for 32GB RAM on Crosshair VIII Hero/3900X? - 4x8GB SR B-DIE or 2x16GB DR B-DIE/Hynix? I am thinking of buying the Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 16-19-19-39 just for the RGB and looks but i am also curious if it is going to clock better than my current Trident Z 4266 C19 kit which can't do 3733MHz stable just 3600MHz with 4x8GB.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Does anybody already know why is PBO overclocking not working? There are those PBO limits in BIOS which you can adjust but CPU will not boost better in single or multi-threaded workloads even not by a slight bit. Clean latest Windows 1903 install with all patches, latest chipset drivers, already tried several BIOS-es actually using the latest beta BIOS from Shamino version 0017 on Crosshair VIII Hero Wifi. You can see those limits being raised in Ryzen Master but CPU will not utilize them no matter what. CCX overclocking is kinda useless if you can't overclock a whole CCX higher than what the CPU is clocking it by itself - my CPU tends to use Core #7 the most with up to 4425MHz but that CCX1 can be only clocked up to 4.3GHz with up to 1.35V.

·
Registered
70 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi guys, I am currently running my R9 3900x on my 2 year old Crosshair VI Hero. I am trying to decide to order the Crosshair VIII Hero but haven't been able to pull the trigger. Someone please convince me why I need the Crosshair VIII Hero vs my VI.:)
Better memory OC capability, more future proof, WiFi is awesome, if you have b-die RAM than 3600C14 is p'n'p, for me with my 3800x was 3800C16 almost p'n'p.
I am not going to buy another Asus again, their support suck, not to mention the bios is a joke with issues like cold boot n etc.

Better get Gigabyte/MSI, they do better this time.

·
Enthusiast
252 Posts
I am not going to buy another Asus again, their support suck, not to mention the bios is a joke with issues like cold boot n etc.

Better get Gigabyte/MSI, they do better this time.
Yes, but not on the C8H.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Which one is a better config in terms of max overclock/throughput/latency for 32GB RAM on Crosshair VIII Hero/3900X? - 4x8GB SR B-DIE or 2x16GB DR B-DIE/Hynix? I am thinking of buying the Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 16-19-19-39 just for the RGB and looks but i am also curious if it is going to clock better than my current Trident Z 4266 C19 kit which can't do 3733MHz stable just 3600MHz with 4x8GB.
Here is my setup: 2pcs of G.Skill Trident Z RGB CL16 (2X8GB) F4-3600C16D-16GTZR kit, its a SR Samsung B-die
First picture: 2x8GB
Second picture: 4x8GB
Third picture memory timings, no change required when upgrading from 2x8 to 4x8. Read+copy speed increase and write speed decrease+higher latency is reproducable.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
I know this might have been asked already, but can we set a VBOOT for DRAM or now? I haven't seen this setting.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Is anyone able to get FCLK to 1900? No matter what I try, I can't get my system to even post with it set to that value.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Is anyone able to get FCLK to 1900? No matter what I try, I can't get my system to even post with it set to that value.
I cannot. Fans just spin and that's it.

·
Registered
385 Posts

·
Overclocker & Enthusiast
143 Posts
Ok, just checking if I was just unlucky :( Thanks.
Yeah 1900 IF isn't as common as you'd think, I don't think I've seen a chip which couldn't do 1866 yet though so I like to think we could of been unluckier if it makes you feel better :) I'm also stuck at 3733mt/s - 1866IF

·
Registered
294 Posts
I know this might have been asked already, but can we set a VBOOT for DRAM or now? I haven't seen this setting.
I haven't seen it yet. I guess they will add it in a future BIOS release.

I can with my chip and RAM sticks, but I'm currently running them at 3733 anyway as it allows me for tighter timings and lower voltages.

New beta version of HWiNFO, v6.11.3900:

Changes:

• Fixed reporting of ES/Production stage for some Zen2 CPUs.
  • Fixed measuring of BCLK for some Intel CPUs under Windows 7.
  • Added reporting of CPU High Temperature Clock Limit for AMD Zen2 family.
  • Added reporting of CPU Automatic Overclocking Offset for AMD Matisse family.
  • Added a new (more reliable) method for measuring BCLK on AMD Matisse systems.
  • Added monitoring of Memory Controller Clock (UCLK) for AMD Zen family.
  • Added preliminary support of Intel Elkhart Lake.
  • Fixed reporting of NVMe capacity when LBA data size > 512B.
  • Added reporting of CPU Thermal Trip Limit and HTC Temperature Limit for AMD Zen.
  • Updated reporting of CPU VDD and SoC SVI2 current/power on some MSI mainboards.
  • Added monitoring of per-CCD Tdie temperatures for AMD Zen2.
Download link:
https://www.fosshub.com/HWiNFO.html?dwl=hwi_611_3900.zip

Cheers!

• Rep+
Reactions: MacG32

·
Registered
122 Posts

Attachments

·
Enthusiast
252 Posts
Yes, my 3800x is stable with it.

Attachments

·
Registered
388 Posts
Well, I'm excited to start learning about memory overclocking and start playing with it this weekend on this board along with maybe some comparisons of CCX vs PB2 in some of my stuff this weekend. The biggest contributor was someone's post in the DRAM calculator thread that the new GSkill Neo with Hynix modules was being incorrectly reported as MFR type by Taiphoon and a new build reports them as being CJR type which is actually supported by the calculator (noobs like me need all the tools they can get to try this lol). The MFR type wouldn't work in the calculator past 3466. I've been holding back on any manual OC of my 3700X since I was still running the stock cooler and it gets really toasty under loads. Putting a custom loop in this weekend which will fix that :) I know I'm gonna see the biggest boost off the memory timing tightening so I'm looking forward to seeing if that fixes marginal FPS in an old flight sim that is severely CPU bound even on modern CPU's.

721 - 740 of 3754 Posts