Overclock.net banner
7441 - 7460 of 7760 Posts

·
( ━☞´◔‿ゝ◔`)━ ☞
6,600 Posts
Definitely still an issue even with my 3900X + CH8 Impact, which wasn't affected by the initial reports of USB dropouts. My keyboard drops out now and then with 3601, but has been less frequent than 3402 and 3501. Back when I used 3003 (and any previous BIOS since launch), I had zero drop outs.

It's the only USB component that drops out and the keyboard isn't dropping out when connected to other PCs and a laptop.

I'm also observing that the keyboard only drops out when I run my Android emulators (BlueStacks 4.28) to play games on the PC. I do run them with CPU Virtualization turned on, but I don't think that should affect a keyboard in any way. When the emulators are off, the PC can idle overnight without the keyboard freezing.
I've since updated my Android emulator from BlueStacks 4.28 to 5.0.200 (separate brand new application) and haven't seen any keyboard dropouts in the past 3 days.

I'm still on BIOS 3601 and haven't changed any BIOS settings, so my previous hunch on the emulators causing the keyboard to freeze/drop out may have been right after all. I don't really understand why or how an emulator could cause a keyboard to drop out, but I'll continue to test out BlueStacks 5 for now. I'll also check to see if BS 4 would cause the drop outs to occur again.

I'm just happy not having to unplug and replug the keyboard everyday. It gets old after months of doing it and is especially annoying when the drop out occurs in the middle of a gun fight in an FPS game.

·
Gamer and overclocker !
2,131 Posts

·
Gamer and overclocker !
2,131 Posts
  • Rep+
Reactions: stimpy88

·
Registered
29 Posts

·
Registered
907 Posts
Can Shamino confirm if they are exactly the same? The Test-bios working fine here, would be nice to not have the urge to "upgrade" :)

·
Registered
907 Posts
I guess that's enough, I'll keep the Test-bios :)

·
( ━☞´◔‿ゝ◔`)━ ☞
6,600 Posts
I've since updated my Android emulator from BlueStacks 4.28 to 5.0.200 (separate brand new application) and haven't seen any keyboard dropouts in the past 3 days.

I'm still on BIOS 3601 and haven't changed any BIOS settings, so my previous hunch on the emulators causing the keyboard to freeze/drop out may have been right after all. I don't really understand why or how an emulator could cause a keyboard to drop out, but I'll continue to test out BlueStacks 5 for now. I'll also check to see if BS 4 would cause the drop outs to occur again.

I'm just happy not having to unplug and replug the keyboard everyday. It gets old after months of doing it and is especially annoying when the drop out occurs in the middle of a gun fight in an FPS game.
After testing out BlueStacks 4, it seems like I was completely wrong about the emulators causing the keyboard to freeze. I just noticed my Windows 10 went from 20H2 to 21H1 a few days ago, so that likely fixed whatever was causing my keyboard to freeze in the last few months.

For anyone having USB dropouts, it might be worth a try updating your Windows version. There is also a recent update to the AMD chipset drivers.

Edit: welp BS4 finally triggered one instance of the keyboard dropping out after almost 2 days. Still better than multiple times a day. Back to BS5 and hopefully the issue is gone for good.

·
Registered
105 Posts
  • Rep+
Reactions: Nizzen

·
Registered
406 Posts
with previous bios it will just disconnects now it wont but will leave explorer so unresponsive
Test by temporarily setting all PCIe, NVMe and SB modes to PCIe 3.0. If it reduces the reported latency significantly, then it is still the USB issue.

·
Registered
35 Posts
So are the USB dropouts people are experiencing only with PCIE4.0 video cards? I have a PCIE4.0 NVMe drive but a 3.0 graphics card. I have read that 4.0 doesn't impact current gen GPUs and setting to 3.0 would not make a difference?

Every once in a while I get a USB connect sound on windows right after logging in but assume that is one of the bloatwares for one of my devices or RGB, no issues while gaming etc.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
So are the USB dropouts people are experiencing only with PCIE4.0 video cards? I have a PCIE4.0 NVMe drive but a 3.0 graphics card. I have read that 4.0 doesn't impact current gen GPUs and setting to 3.0 would not make a difference?

Every once in a while I get a USB connect sound on windows right after logging in but assume that is one of the bloatwares for one of my devices or RGB, no issues while gaming etc.
I have PCIe 4 VGA (3070) and SSD (Samsung 980 Pro), BIOS 3601, plus I use an USB soundbar. I have no problems overall.

7441 - 7460 of 7760 Posts