Overclock.net banner
7741 - 7760 of 7760 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Booting into windows at 3800Mhz doesn't mean anything if you are getting WHEA errors. You will be experiencing worse performance despite the higher number.
Event Viewer>Application and Service Logs>Microsoft>Windows >Kernel-WHEA

·
Registered
35 Posts
Booting into windows at 3800Mhz doesn't mean anything if you are getting WHEA errors. You will be experiencing worse performance despite the higher number.
Event Viewer>Application and Service Logs>Microsoft>Windows >Kernel-WHEA
Not sure if you are referring to my post but as I mentioned, all tests good @3800/1900 with no WHEA errors. Above 1900 regardless of Ram speed, WHEA errors and instability.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi everyone, I got my 5900x almost two weeks ago and since then I'm trying to tune and test it with corecycler, cinebench, occt memtest + sse and so on

So basically the thing is that I managed to optimize its voltage/frequency curve but I am not getting past 8350 sometimes 8390 score in cinebench and in AIDA64 I get 65-67 ns latency but the read/write digits are higher than with 3600 or 3800 mhz for example. I overclocked my crucial ballistix E Die ram dual rank from 3200cl16 to 4000 mhz cl16 1.45v SOC 1.175 LLC 4 ( with lower SOC LLC I get vdroop and I want it to be always as set in bios, didn't saw overshoot) + CPU LLC 2 and other adjustments in my motherboard's BIOS/ extreme tweaker ( the motherboard is a crosshair viii formula ) PSU is a Silverstone ST1500 so we've got plenty of power for the cpu to draw :)
The infinity fabric looks stable as I do not have audio dropouts anymore or audio stuttering, channel imbalance and so on.

I'm looking forward to your replies :)

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
So basically the thing is that I managed to optimize its voltage/frequency curve but I am not getting past 8350 sometimes 8390 score in cinebench
I'm not an expert but your CB20 mt score is way too low.
Event my crappy 5900x does 8675 C20 with 3702 , PBO 200/130/200 , CO -20, -20, -30 (rest of cores).
Our CPU-Z scores are mostly the same tho.
Your memory read speeds are better but surprisingly latency is not.
My memory kit is hyperx 3600 17-21-21-38 slightly tightened to 16-19-21-36
Cooler is a Liquid Freezer II 360 rev.4 with offset mount.

What kind of cooling do you have?
What are your PBO/CO settings?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm not an expert but your CB20 mt score is way too low.
Event my crappy 5900x does 8675 C20 with 3702 , PBO 200/130/200 , CO -20, -20, -30 (rest of cores).
Our CPU-Z scores are mostly the same tho.
Your memory read speeds are better but surprisingly latency is not.
My memory kit is hyperx 3600 17-21-21-38 slightly tightened to 16-19-21-36
Cooler is a Liquid Freezer II 360 rev.4 with offset mount.

What kind of cooling do you have?
What are your PBO/CO settings?

View attachment 2518332
Hi, the cooling is Cooler Master ML360R with Corsair ML 120 PRO fans. Thermal paste is Thermal Grizzly kryonaut
PBO settings are PPT 230 TDC 160 EDC 170 / +200 mhz / fmax enhancher is turned off during cinebench 20 I have a constant speed of 4.5-4.75 Ghz at 88 degrees celsius
Curve Optimizer is set to negative 21 on the secondary best core in CCX1 and negative 23 on the best one, negative 25 on the secondary and negative 26 on the best CCX2 and all others are at negative 30. I tried to use 3800 mhz/ infinity fabric 1900 but then the latency is even higher at 75-77 ns

·
Registered
7 Posts
PBO settings are PPT 230 TDC 160 EDC 170 / +200 mhz / fmax enhancher is turned off during cinebench 20 I have a constant speed of 4.5-4.75 Ghz at 88 degrees celsius
Hmm that temperature is IMO too high, I get 4.500-4550 all cores (effective freq) at 80C with room temperature around 27C.
All chips are different but I found that for me EDC 200 was the sweet spot for good mt scores without tanking L3 cache transfer rates too much.
I was getting around 90C with my old cooler which is a Fractal Design Celsius+ S36 Prisma, swapping it for a LF2 made an actual difference here.

·
Premium Member
20,450 Posts
Hi, the cooling is Cooler Master ML360R with Corsair ML 120 PRO fans. Thermal paste is Thermal Grizzly kryonaut
Curve Optimizer is set to negative 21 on the secondary best core in CCX1 and negative 23 on the best one, negative 25 on the secondary and negative 26 on the best CCX2 and all others are at negative 30. I tried to use 3800 mhz/ infinity fabric 1900 but then the latency is even higher at 75-77 ns
Can you start from Optimized default but first save your setting into a profile. After setting optimized default, set your RAM to XMP profile, then run Cinebench.

I got 3600 CL16 ram and i have set at XMP 3600 CL16 @ 1.36v. In Aida i get a tad lower than 60. Not sure what set of RAM you have but you can start at 3600 CL16.

Also, if you can disable PowerDown without affecting stability, then do so.

Note: Save a profile for your current settings.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi everyone, I got my 5900x almost two weeks ago and since then I'm trying to tune and test it with corecycler, cinebench, occt memtest + sse and so on

I would go with your best speed with GDM disabled, that might help your latency. Have you checked for WHEA errors with fclk at 2000? It seems to be only the top 10% of chips run at that speed. Took me two cpus to get to 1900! If you you one the lottery for sure.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I would go with your best speed with GDM disabled, that might help your latency. Have you checked for WHEA errors with fclk at 2000? It seems to be only the top 10% of chips run at that speed. Took me two cpus to get to 1900! If you you one the lottery for sure.
got no WHEA errors at all, no audio clipping, no channel imbalance or anything. if I disable GDM my system won't post anymore and I have to reset the bios... most likely I have to re-enter manually the timings but I don't know them. If I set the secondary timings on auto the latency is even higher

I used OCCT memtest with SSE and I get memory errors even with SOC 1.2v and DRAM 1.5v but no whea errorst, the system is very stable even for hours and hours of running corecycler/prime 95

·
Registered
19 Posts
Can you start from Optimized default but first save your setting into a profile. After setting optimized default, set your RAM to XMP profile, then run Cinebench.

I got 3600 CL16 ram and i have set at XMP 3600 CL16 @ 1.36v. In Aida i get a tad lower than 60. Not sure what set of RAM you have but you can start at 3600 CL16.

Also, if you can disable PowerDown without affecting stability, then do so.

Note: Save a profile for your current settings.
I tried as you did, optimized defaults and nothing changed to anything, not even PBO enabled, only ram DOCP and manually disabled GDM

Attachments

·
Premium Member
20,450 Posts
I tried as you did, optimized defaults and nothing changed to anything, not even PBO enabled, only ram DOCP and manually disabled GDM
So your ram is 3200 MHz. Try raising it to 3600 MHz (using DOCP settings) and bump the DRAM voltage a bit to 1.37v.

What Windows Power setting are you using? Got mine set at Balance with minimum processor at 5%. Recently i found out about setting CPU priority and affinity for Cinebench.

EDIT: I just want to make sure. Your RAM sticks are in A2 and B2 slots, right?

If i set my sticks to 3200MHz i get 66ns. At 3600 it is at 59ns. Here is a ss of Zen.

EDIT 2: At 3600MHz i get 8500 in CR20. At 3200 i get 8300. This is at Stock with a -0.03v under volt and FSB at 101.

Your motherboard is for oc'ing, tho, so after you figured out your ram next step is oc'ing the cpu.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Is CH8 3601 BIOS bugged? For some reason, I get some weird behaviour when setting PPT / TDC / EDC. Sometimes it works, from Extreme Tweaker >> PBO, and some times it doesn't, in so much as Ryzen Master does not show the settings etc. The most common scenario being the EDC reports as 0% of 0A.

If I leave Extreme Tweaker alone (which raises the question should that "Auto" or "Disabled"?) and use Advanced >> AMD Overlocking >> PBO, and set limits to "Motherboard" I see 142 / 95 / 140.

If I set them manually, they don't take.

What gives?

·
Registered
35 Posts
got no WHEA errors at all, no audio clipping, no channel imbalance or anything. if I disable GDM my system won't post anymore and I have to reset the bios... most likely I have to re-enter manually the timings but I don't know them. If I set the secondary timings on auto the latency is even higher

I used OCCT memtest with SSE and I get memory errors even with SOC 1.2v and DRAM 1.5v but no whea errorst, the system is very stable even for hours and hours of running corecycler/prime 95
Try finding the fastest speed you can get with GDM disabled. 3600? I've heard sometimes it helps sometimes it hurts. I am able to run disabled thankfully at 3800 but ram stock was 3600 so it wasn't as big of an OC.

·
Registered
19 Posts
So your ram is 3200 MHz. Try raising it to 3600 MHz (using DOCP settings) and bump the DRAM voltage a bit to 1.37v.

What Windows Power setting are you using? Got mine set at Balance with minimum processor at 5%. Recently i found out about setting CPU priority and affinity for Cinebench.

EDIT: I just want to make sure. Your RAM sticks are in A2 and B2 slots, right?

If i set my sticks to 3200MHz i get 66ns. At 3600 it is at 59ns. Here is a ss of Zen.

EDIT 2: At 3600MHz i get 8500 in CR20. At 3200 i get 8300. This is at Stock with a -0.03v under volt and FSB at 101.

Your motherboard is for oc'ing, tho, so after you figured out your ram next step is oc'ing the cpu.
windows power plan setting: Balanced with stock settings
performance and energy power mode: best performance
my ram sticks are in slots A2 B2 as recommended in my motherboard's manual ( please see paragraph 1.1.4 ) E15393_ROG_CROSSHAIR_VIII_FORMULA_UM_WEB.pdf (asus.com)
I have higher read/write/copy values than you, isn't this making a difference in real world tasks or gaming? or is latency more important than this?
I tried now stock DOCP but went from my standard 3200 speed to 3600 manually with FCLK set to 1800 and the multicore speed went down by 200 mhz now during cb20 test, scores also went down with 100 points, also I am reaching max 84 degrees on the CPU ( I did not changed any CPU Settings except for SOC voltage that I put now at 1.10) I also attached a screenshot.
Maybe because my ram sticks are dual rank, they have more bandwidth but also higher latency???

Attachments

·
Premium Member
20,450 Posts
windows power plan setting: Balanced with stock settings
performance and energy power mode: best performance
my ram sticks are in slots A2 B2 as recommended in my motherboard's manual ( please see paragraph 1.1.4 ) E15393_ROG_CROSSHAIR_VIII_FORMULA_UM_WEB.pdf (asus.com)
I have higher read/write/copy values than you, isn't this making a difference in real world tasks or gaming? or is latency more important than this?
It would be ideal for all the readings be high ( i mean low for the latency) but for Ryzen, it is vital that the latency (60 or lower) be set as low as possible. I saw in your ss that the sticks are indeed in A2,B2.

Did you use the DRAM Calculator? I used it on my FlareX B-die kit since my R7 2700 really needs that low latency. I was going to suggest you copy the numbers off my Zen timings but you might risk breaking something.

·
Registered
19 Posts
It would be ideal for all the readings be high ( i mean low for the latency) but for Ryzen, it is vital that the latency be set as low as possible. I saw in your ss that the sticks are indeed in A2,B2.

Did you use the DRAM Calculator? I used it on my FlareX B-die kit since my R7 2700 really needs that low latency. I was going to suggest you copy the numbers off my Zen timings but you might risk breaking something.
Please see my updated post that I just edited now situated above yours
DRAM calculator says that my ram sticks can go up to 3800 mhz cl16 but when I use 3800 cl16 with the exact same settings that are in the dram calculator or even higher votages, I get errors and the latency is even greater, at 75 ns

·
Premium Member
20,450 Posts
Please see my updated post that I just edited now situated above yours
DRAM calculator says that my ram sticks can go up to 3800 mhz cl16 but when I use 3800 cl16 with the exact same settings that are in the dram calculator or even higher votages, I get errors and the latency is even greater, at 75 ns
That could very well be it. Dual rank. But your score is pretty much the normal score our cpu gets in this bench.

The DRAM calc works but it will take a lot of effort and time using it to tune the RAM. Plus the testing. @Veii and others, in the DRAM Calc thread will help you if you ask.

·
Enthusiast
266 Posts
Hi Folks!

I got after the last service run on my system Post code 4d.

-C8H WiFi
-3800x - tried with a new 5800x, same error code. I tried the classic things too (reseat CPU, RAM, cleaned CPU and Socket...)

I must admit, before the maintanence was everything fine, but when I cleaned the cooler it came off with the CPU with it. I didnt opened the socket, it was "glued" to the cooler. Can it be, that the motherboard is off since then?
Anybody with error code 4d?

Please help.
Thank you.

·
Registered
907 Posts
@shamino1978 is there a reason why b550 boards are getting the latest agesa with patch b yet the more expensive boards are still on patch a?
Don't worry, the B550:s are back on Patch A with the latest bios, maybe something was off with Patch B?

7741 - 7760 of 7760 Posts